INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NAS Hierarchical File Structure  (Read 21814 times)

SilverLitz

• Junior Woodchuck
NAS Hierarchical File Structure
« on: July 27, 2013, 11:04:38 am »

I have downloaded MC trial yesterday and am having newbie, operator error problems.

Background:
I am ripping my CD's in WAV on a NAS (Zyxel NSA320) using Hierarchical File Structure to make searching faster.  I will be listening to the music on various audio systems by either pulling or pushing the files from the NAS via ethernet into either an Onkyo NR609 AVR, Oppo BDP103, or MARANTZ NA7004.

My files are organized like the following:
\\NSA320\music\Jazz\Jazz Horn\artist\album\track1,2,3,...

I break the structure into Major Genre (Classical, Jazz, Pop/Rock, Country/Bluegrass, ...) and further subdivided by Sub Genre (piano, horn, sax, female, male, ...).  I also do NOT want multiple types of folders of the same artist, and I want the ENTIRE album in the same sub-folder (no file splits with various other artists combinations).  This requires me to move around tracks and folders using Windows File Explorer after the discs have been ripped to get my preferred cleaner organization.

Questions:

MC can organize a rip into Genre\artist\...  I will sometimes also change the Genre name from MC's defaults, as well as add my Sub Genre file level, consolidate all of the album tracks into the same folder, and possibly move all of the tracks of a multiple disc album into the same folder.  Does this Windows File Explorer file moving around cause MC any problems?

I have previously ripped hundreds of CDs using iTunes in this same manner, but MC does not seem to show them.  How can I get MC to see all of my files?

How can I get MC to get the Album Covers on all of my albums?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: NAS Hierarchical File Structure
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 11:39:33 am »

1. You should generally be safe with moving files in Explorer with MC's default settings.  It will detect file moves and reconnect the Filename field with the file's location on disk (so long as they are within the same tree).

2. Have you added your iTunes Media folder to MC's auto-import path list?  (Tools > Import > Configure Auto-Import...)

3. Select an album, right click, Cover Art > Get From Internet...
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

SilverLitz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 01:40:41 pm »

1. You should generally be safe with moving files in Explorer with MC's default settings.  It will detect file moves and reconnect the Filename field with the file's location on disk (so long as they are within the same tree).

2. Have you added your iTunes Media folder to MC's auto-import path list?  (Tools > Import > Configure Auto-Import...)

3. Select an album, right click, Cover Art > Get From Internet...

Thanks!

I tried your  (Tools > Import > Configure Auto-Import...) suggestion, and it seemed to add over 5,000 files, but it did NOT show them organized as albums.

Following is an example of the FileName of a file from an album I ripped w/ MC:
\\NSA320\music\Wind Band\Eastman Wind Ensemble_Frederick Fennell\British and American Band Classics\Eastman Wind Ensemble_Frederick Fennell - Fanfare and Allegro.wav

This is an example of the FileName from the Auto-Import:
http://192.168.1.167:9001/disk/NON-DLNA/O0$1$8I1848588.wav

Both are in \\NSA320\music\...

MrC

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 08:31:30 pm »

SilverLitz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 07:35:24 am »

Wav files, tags and iTunes.  See:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68164.msg458792#msg458792

From the above, MrC's suggestion:

"2) For your existing files, you can ask MC to obtain properties based upon your file's locations.  See Library Tools > Fill Properties From File Location"

I do not see option "Fill Properties From File Location", under Tools > Library Tools >, but find "Fill Properties From Filename" instead, but MC has captured gobbleygook filenames for these files (eventhough they have a rational Genre\SubGenre\artist\album\track file structure).

MrC

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 11:42:37 am »

Sorry, it was "... Filename" not "File Location".  I type these command paths from memory often, and sometimes they come out botched.  All fixed nows.

Set the Template mode, and try the template:

Directories:
   [Genre]\[SubGenre]\[Artist]\[Album]

Filename
   [Ttrack #] [Name]

I'm not sure about your filenames - you mention "track file", but what is contained in the "file" portion?  Maybe it is track name - if so, use [Name] as shown above.

If you want to capture your [SubGenre], create a new user field if you have not already, and use that field's name in the template above.

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields...

SilverLitz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 04:46:46 pm »

Sorry, it was "... Filename" not "File Location".  I type these command paths from memory often, and sometimes they come out botched.  All fixed nows.

Set the Template mode, and try the template:

Directories:
   [Genre]\[SubGenre]\[Artist]\[Album]

Filename
   [Ttrack #] [Name]

I'm not sure about your filenames - you mention "track file", but what is contained in the "file" portion?  Maybe it is track name - if so, use [Name] as shown above.

If you want to capture your [SubGenre], create a new user field if you have not already, and use that field's name in the template above.

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields...

How do I set the Template Mode?

MrC

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 06:28:53 pm »

Click the radio button named "Template" in the tool.

SilverLitz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 03:41:43 pm »

Click the radio button named "Template" in the tool.

?
My MC18 does NOT have any "Template" in "Tools" menu.

I have not found the radio button named "Template" .  What is the menu tree to get to this option? 

Remember I just got the MC trial download a few days ago and have never used MC before.  I need to decide if MC can meet my needs, e.g. feeding my NAS for consumption on other devices in my various audio system via Ethernet.  I do not anticipate using my computer much for listening to music, just for ripping for consumption via MUCH better audio equipment.  So far, not being able to use my several hundreds of previously ripped WAV files in a meaningfully organized fashion is a HUGE strike against purchasing MC.  I am continuing to rip many more hundreds of albums using MC hoping to find a solution to this problem before my trial period ends.

MrC

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 04:11:29 pm »

It is in the Fill Properties From Filename tool, as we were discussing above.  See Library Tools > Fill Properties From Filename.

SilverLitz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 04:28:13 pm »

It is in the Fill Properties From Filename tool, as we were discussing above.  See Library Tools > Fill Properties From Filename.

Thanks!
That makes sense.

But I think we will still have a major problem due to the  gobbleygook filenames MC has captured for these files (e.g. http://192.168.1.167:9001/disk/NON-DLNA/O0$1$8I1848588.wav), eventhough they have a rational \\NSA320\music\Genre\SubGenre\artist\album\track file structure in the NAS.

MrC

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 04:32:48 pm »

MC itself only sees Windows paths: Drive letters or UNC.  And these look like M:\path...  or \\<server>\...

So the paths you are seeing are being caused by trying to use the NAS' DLNA services.  You've asked MC to browse the NAS' DLNA service and to create a library from those files.  You don't need to, or probably want to, have MC use these paths.   It has a DLNA server already, and it wants access to the files via Windows paths.  So you'll have to describe how you want about importing media into MC and confirm that you created or used a different "library" as shown under Playing Now > Playing from ... Library.  You should be using the Main library for now.

SilverLitz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 04:57:01 pm »

MC itself only sees Windows paths: Drive letters or UNC.  And these look like M:\path...  or \\<server>\...

So the paths you are seeing are being caused by trying to use the NAS' DLNA services.  You've asked MC to browse the NAS' DLNA service and to create a library from those files.  You don't need to, or probably want to, have MC use these paths.   It has a DLNA server already, and it wants access to the files via Windows paths.  So you'll have to describe how you want about importing media into MC and confirm that you created or used a different "library" as shown under Playing Now > Playing from ... Library.  You should be using the Main library for now.

Thanks!
I will have to try to work on that tomorrow.

But a few questions:
Do I have to do anything to get all of those the gobbleygook files (e.g. http://192.168.1.167:9001/disk/NON-DLNA/O0$1$8I1848588.wav) out of MC?

I have not been in "Main Library", but NSA320, while I have been doing these hundreds of rips the last few days, because I was erroneously thinking that I want my library to physically reside in NSA320 and I want all of my computers and DLNA devices to have access to these.  It sounds like this caused my problems.

How do I get all of my rips that I put in the NSA320 library to be in my "Main Library"?

MrC

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 04:59:34 pm »

That's the thing.  You're connected to an MC library that was discovered via DLNA.  Thus, your NAS server is the server, and in this case, MC is acting as a DLNA client.

You want the Main Library.  Ignore the other one, you don't need it (unless you want to test out how well MC handles your NAS' DLNA services).

Switch to the Main Library, and configure Tools > Import > Configure Auto-Import to look in the \\NSA320\music\... paths.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 08:27:34 pm »

This image isn't an exact match to your setup, but may help. It sounds like your "CD Ripping and Media Management" and "Media Server & Control Point" are the one PC.

Read the article at Computer Audiophile

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

SilverLitz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 03:42:24 pm »

That's the thing.  You're connected to an MC library that was discovered via DLNA.  Thus, your NAS server is the server, and in this case, MC is acting as a DLNA client.

You want the Main Library.  Ignore the other one, you don't need it (unless you want to test out how well MC handles your NAS' DLNA services).

Switch to the Main Library, and configure Tools > Import > Configure Auto-Import to look in the \\NSA320\music\... paths.

Thanks!
I changed to the Main Library, and did the Auto-Import, and it seems that all of my iTunes ripped WAV files show up organized as Albums.  I was able to get most of the Cover Art clicking one by one (would be nice for a batch process).  Many of the iTunes albums do not show up in the Genre view, but show up as "Music" (more than 2,500 files), which is not very helpful.

I see that MC can show the music organized by: Album, Artist, Genre, and Files.  Is there a way to show the music organized by file structure (as user organized in directory tree)?  This would be for me the most useful, as MC would show it just like I would see in the File Explorer.

MrC

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 05:39:48 pm »

You can select multiple albums for cover art lookup.  I hope it isn't too late to mention this!

MrC

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 05:41:46 pm »

I see that MC can show the music organized by: Album, Artist, Genre, and Files.  Is there a way to show the music organized by file structure (as user organized in directory tree)?  This would be for me the most useful, as MC would show it just like I would see in the File Explorer.

Look at the Files view.  It is a Location-based view, which will present files using the Filename field of MC, per directory.  You can modify the view to your needs, or create similar views to create a path-like tree hierarchy.

SilverLitz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 09:57:15 pm »

You can select multiple albums for cover art lookup.  I hope it isn't too late to mention this!

Too late.
It would be nice, if by 1 click, MC would search for ALL Cover Art, without having to click on each album.

SilverLitz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 07:43:11 am »

Look at the Files view.  It is a Location-based view, which will present files using the Filename field of MC, per directory.  You can modify the view to your needs, or create similar views to create a path-like tree hierarchy.

Files view does not cut it for me, as it only shows the drill down on the small left hand window (which would be very small on a small tablet).  When I select the Files View, the main display pane shows all of the tracks (nearly 10,000). 

It would be much better if this, or another view, to act similiar the the Artist View, e.g. in the main display pane show the 1st level options (Genre in my organization), then after the Genre is clicked, show 2nd level options (SubGenre in my organization), then after the SubGenre is clicked, show 3rd level options (Artist in my organization), and then after the Artist is clicked, show 4thd level options (Album in my organization), all with thumbnails. 

MrC

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2013, 10:50:39 am »

I'm not sure I follow you.  You're saying you want the drilled down to be by file path, but you're describing Genre > SubGenre > Artist.  Unless that exactly matches your file path, we might be having two conversations.

However, it sounds like what you're asking for as a Categories view.  Try customizing the Files view and changing it to a Categories view, just so you can see how it works.

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 11:29:43 am »

Too late.
It would be nice, if by 1 click, MC would search for ALL Cover Art, without having to click on each album.

Check the EDIT menu for file selection capabilities.  And MC generally supports the usual Windows file selection techniques, eg shift-click, ctrl-click, ctrl-A etc.  There are few places where MC makes work hard, but it does take a while to figure out all the power of the product.

FastKayak / Larry

SilverLitz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 12:58:15 pm »

I'm not sure I follow you.  You're saying you want the drilled down to be by file path, but you're describing Genre > SubGenre > Artist.  Unless that exactly matches your file path, we might be having two conversations.

However, it sounds like what you're asking for as a Categories view.  Try customizing the Files view and changing it to a Categories view, just so you can see how it works.

I am not asking for anything that relies on the Tag info, just the Directory/Sub-Directory/... names, with all the intelligence imbedded in the Directory/Sub-Directory/... naming convention.  At any level in the File Tree, having the main pane show only items (folders) at that level.  Having 100's much less thousands of items showing up in the main pane is NOT very useful.  This would make changing the user's library organization (to the user interface) easy, by just moving the albums into different Directory/Sub-Directory/... locations using a file explorer, instead of having to change the Tag info on each album.

This is the way my Onkyo NR609 AVR, and Marantz NA7004 allow me to pull music from my NAS by "Folder", using only the remote and the alpha-numeric display.  I find that very logical and easy to find my music, due to how I save the music in my file structure.  The key being only to have a limited number of possibilities at each level of the file structure.

MrC

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 05:07:41 pm »

We're talking past each other.

The Tree (by default, on the left) shows the entire fan out.  You can't change that, so you probably don't want to use that as your navigation tool.

To hide higher-level items after you've drilled down, you need to use a Categories view.  When the categories are defined to be components of the file path, the view will show only items at a given folder level in the content panel (by default, the top right panel).  That's essentially what I was suggesting by customizing the Files view.
Pages: [1]   Go Up