INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC-19 and Bluray changers  (Read 4434 times)

Ekpen

• Citizen of the Universe
MC-19 and Bluray changers
« on: July 28, 2013, 05:36:03 pm »

Matt,
I have my Sony changer set up using IP at one time and now RS232. I do not see my changer detected. Drives and Devices show nothing.
Will MC-19 be able to scan devices that have RS232 or IP, so that these devices appear  under the tree?

I have upgraded of recent to MC-19.
Thanks for the continued development of this program.
George

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC-19 and Bluray changers
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 06:19:53 pm »

Does it appear in Explorer?

RS232 would be pretty slow.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 06:26:19 pm »

I think the RS232 is to just control the device, eg to say load Disc #128 and that the actual drive unit is just a std BD Drive player.
JRiver CEO Elect

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 07:42:22 pm »

RS232 is a serial control protocol used mostly by older devices for device control EG power on & off, etc.. It isn't a network protocol like TCP/IP over Ethernet. I can't imagine a RS232 device will ever show up in MC.

Many Blu-Ray players have Ethernet ports. My older model Sony does. In the early days of Blu-Ray these ports were for Blu-Ray live and possibly firmware updates. They may or may not show up on a Windows's network. Does your Sony manual mention support of DLNA?  If so attaching it to your network probably means MC will see it in the tree.

FastKayak / Larry

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 07:53:02 pm »

From previous discussion on this, I think the unit is this one http://store.sony.com/p/BDP-CX7000ES/en/p/BDPCX7000ES#overview

It is just a standalone Blu Ray Player (eg it hooks up to the AVR/TV directly over HDMI.  It does not play through the PC / MC).  Im pretty sure that what the OP wants it to have all the BD Meta Data (incl coverart) in MC and when you "play" a BD have MC send the commands to the 7000es to select the disk and play it....

While a nice idea I'm guessing it would be somewhat a niche requirement.
JRiver CEO Elect

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 09:50:15 pm »

Oh, I get it now. I had a Philips Pronto setup to control two Sony CD 400 slot players back in the day. All the CD's, artist and tracks were "cataloged" to the Pronto.  Kinda MC with a stick shift transmission. Jump forward all these years and the iPad and MC run all my media and the Sony's are on Caigslist!  Yikes!

OP, cool device, but not MC (or HTPC) friendly. Sorry.

FastKayak / Larry

Ekpen

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 03:59:24 pm »

Greetings:
It does not appear in the explorer.

Please let me explain more. I have bits of information.

The Sony changer has IP or RS232 control protocol.

In the Old DOS days, devices with rs232 are controllable. You can see the contents.
But the Sony is not DLNA. It does have IP 192.168.1.6 as set up by my new HTPC.

I have some utilities that can fire up the changer via  IP or serial, but they are not reliable.
DVD profiler plug in has a program called loaddvdPro, that can load the 400 disc 777ES or 7000ES. I am yet to actually interface it with the new server.

In DVD profiler, there is a menu or choice to scan changers.

If a scan of the changer or  changers can be done, maybe it will appear under the tree.
I also have a Moxa Nport 5610-16, it is a serial device that I have attached the Sony changer to. The Moxa is a serial server that can detect the changer or anything attached to it.  It can be fooled to also produce IP, converting the rs232 to IP.
I can not tell right now if it will detect the changer. My new Server Mobo is in City of Industry, CA undergoing a final check up. When it gets back I will fully connect the Sony device to Moxa and test if a scan of  drives or devices will occur.
I hope MC 19 will provide a scan capability
Jmone.. thanks again for your scrips for the 3D and Bluray, DVD etc in general. This is where I am hoping your script will be usefull, if combined with TMT6.
Maybe a scan changer features is all it will take, of course the changer has to be set up to use RS232 or IP, I think RS232 will be better for controlling the device.
I also have two utilities from Barry Gordon written for Sony 7777ES and 7000ES to scan Rs232 or iP.
I used the IP version briefly, I have not installed the serial version.
Mr. Barry Gordon is an active forum member on avsforum. He has the source code, and maybe willing to help.
I did give him info 4 years ago, when he was looking for some info on the 7000ES. 

The first attempt is to get MC to scan RS232 or iP devices, then with Jmone script and TMT6,  might be able to get it to work.
As soon as the Mobo gets back from service, I will complete the setup and test. Windows 8 Pro with MC 18 are already on the server .

Again thanks to those who had replied.
George.

Ekpen

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 04:48:21 pm »

I think the RS232 is to just control the device, eg to say load Disc #128 and that the actual drive unit is just a std BD Drive player.

Yes, you are correct. The RS232 is for control. I am thinking of blessing this Sony with your new script. <grin>

Thanks Jmone.
George

Ekpen

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 04:53:55 pm »

RS232 is a serial control protocol used mostly by older devices for device control EG power on & off, etc.. It isn't a network protocol like TCP/IP over Ethernet. I can't imagine a RS232 device will ever show up in MC.

Many Blu-Ray players have Ethernet ports. My older model Sony does. In the early days of Blu-Ray these ports were for Blu-Ray live and possibly firmware updates. They may or may not show up on a Windows's network. Does your Sony manual mention support of DLNA?  If so attaching it to your network probably means MC will see it in the tree.

FastKayak / Larry

Greetings:
Before TCP/IP, it was RS232 for control in the old DOS days.
High end devices, AVR - Pioneer Elite, Sharp and Mitsubihi tvs , Denon have rs232 protocol or port for custome installation.
Remember you can also convert RS232 to IP. I have it on my Moxa Nport 5610-16 serial device. You can change RS232 port with an ethernet adapter to look like an ethernet port or vice -versa.
My Susano AVR has RS232 for control.
Infact RS232 has better control features than IP.

George.

Ekpen

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 05:12:29 pm »

From previous discussion on this, I think the unit is this one http://store.sony.com/p/BDP-CX7000ES/en/p/BDPCX7000ES#overview

It is just a standalone Blu Ray Player (eg it hooks up to the AVR/TV directly over HDMI.  It does not play through the PC / MC).  Im pretty sure that what the OP wants it to have all the BD Meta Data (incl coverart) in MC and when you "play" a BD have MC send the commands to the 7000es to select the disk and play it....

While a nice idea I'm guessing it would be somewhat a niche requirement.

It is not really a niche. It could be made to play via MC, if  MC can detect the device. With TMT5 or 6, and the blessings of Jmone's script, all it needs is the devices or devices be detected , MC scans, loads the cover arts.
Of course MC could go further to scan and put the entire collections info  in a folder on an HD, with  cover arts to make loading faster.

Again, thanks for your input.
George

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 11:53:00 am »

I don't have a disc changer, but I do have an old Marantz receiver that has RS-232 controlability, and it's the amp I use for the multi-zone system in my house.  Having built in functionality which tells it to turn on and off based on which zone I select for playback would be fantastic.  As it is now, someone turns it on to listen to music in a bedroom for an hour or 2, then forgets to shut off the amp, and it stays on for days/weeks.

I think I could also do some other cool things with this type of control with this amp, but for now, turning it on/off with zone playback would be great.
pretend this is something funny

Ekpen

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 09:00:14 pm »

I don't have a disc changer, but I do have an old Marantz receiver that has RS-232 controlability, and it's the amp I use for the multi-zone system in my house.  Having built in functionality which tells it to turn on and off based on which zone I select for playback would be fantastic.  As it is now, someone turns it on to listen to music in a bedroom for an hour or 2, then forgets to shut off the amp, and it stays on for days/weeks.

I think I could also do some other cool things with this type of control with this amp, but for now, turning it on/off with zone playback would be great.

You will need to go to Marantz web site, find the rs232 code for your amp. Each OEM will supply the code sets or command sets. You may even try google  the model and find the control codes for it. Make  sure you use null modem cable.
Ekpen.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 09:05:22 pm »

Thanks.  i actually have all of that already, but I'm just not sure (haven't really even looked very hard) how to have MC send the signals over the interface to control the other receiver as necessary.  heck, this may all be possible already, but I'm hoping for it to be "easy" someday :)
pretend this is something funny
Pages: [1]   Go Up