INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver's service for Mac  (Read 2135 times)

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
JRiver's service for Mac
« on: August 04, 2013, 02:34:06 pm »

In short: JRiver developers seem to consider their own time much more precious than their customer's.

Let me explain what i mean:

Although the Mac Forum is not frequented too much, they don't consider it necessary, to answer the 3 to 4 requests that arise a day - most of them aren't even bug reports.

Most of my own bug reports repeatedly remained unanswered. So i don't even know if they were recognised - but i don't think so, because they were not fixed most of the time.

Do you know it takes time to test your software, even if you are a customer? Your own testers are not very successful when it comes to the Mac version at least, otherwise there weren't so many unresolved, reported bugs and quirks.

I was urged to buy the Windows licence to get my tagging done. For a while this was ok for me, but as time goes by, i can't understand any more why this relatively small area can't be fixed. By the way, i feel there is no more progress at the Mac side for quite a while now. Instead you are obviously planning to bring out a UNIX version.

It also takes time to report those bugs to you. Time is money, as you perhaps know - not your money, of course ;-).

And since this is the only way to come into contact with the developers, they should at least answer those few requests here at the Mac forum.

I'm a software developer myself for many years now.
Would i ignore customer bug reports as you do, i would have been a developer in my company for the longest time.

If so, i will go on with bug reporting , otherwise i will be out.

Don't misunderstand my complaints - i love the product, but i don't like how i'm permanently ignored.

Best regards Fred

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver's service for Mac
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 04:40:26 pm »

It's still in Beta. There are still way more old and experienced members who's on the Windows version. That's probably why there's not so much answers and help here. There's not many months since this was released, and it's the first OS port the company have done I guess.

The staff are good at responding, but I do understand that they can't do it all the time. They have to have help from normal users like you and me. They do not have a bug report system as far as I know. But they do normally respond fast to bugs, and prioritize more serious ones first or bugs that larger groups experience.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 04:40:30 pm »

Why do you think you're being ignored?  You've received a lot of answers.  You can't expect an answer to every question.  Sometimes nobody knows the answer.

We've had a person full time on the Mac work.  Sometimes the progress isn't easily apparent, but if you look back at the last couple of months, there has been quite a lot.

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 05:16:34 pm »

You can't expect an answer to every question.  Sometimes nobody knows the answer.

You don't see the problem. My problem is not getting not enough answers.
But if i report bugs and quirks, i expect some sort of response at least.
Otherwise i can't see if somebody cares about it.

Not answering and not fixing these bugs lets me assume, nobody cares.

I would understand that you can't answer if there were dozens of reports each day, but the few that you get (on the Mac side) could very well be acknowledged.

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 05:24:40 pm »

It's still in Beta. There are still way more old and experienced members who's on the Windows version. That's probably why there's not so much answers and help here.
Of course it's still Beta, that's why i report bugs.
I don't expect help in the Mac forum but i expect that bug reports are acknowledged somehow.

They do not have a bug report system as far as I know.
That's sad, but i've rather got the impression, too.
A sheet of paper would work wonders, however :-).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 05:59:52 pm »

Interact works pretty well.

Bugs should be reported in the thread that announces the build.  We don't usually acknowledge them, but we do read all of them.  We investigate the ones we can.

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 07:18:38 pm »

Ok, if that's the way you do it, i won't waste my and your precious time anymore.
May be i will be coming back in one or two years and look how MC Mac is working then.

It's a pity because it was a promising project in my eyes that i would have liked to support.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 08:34:28 pm »

Fred1, don't go away a wounded bird.  Some folks need acknowledgement for every post, but most of us think that's just noise after a while.  "Thank you for your bug report, we'll get on it as soon as we can...".

JRiver has stated they read all the posts.  If something is really urgent and it hasn't been addressed, JRiver suggests an occasional thread bump, and that seems pretty reasonable.

I looked through many of your posts, and have probably read all of them, and my impression is you've received responses, or better, solid answers to a significant percentage of your posts.

The opinions I express represent my own folly.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 03:06:33 am »

I don't expect help in the Mac forum but i expect that bug reports are acknowledged somehow.

As a beta team member I report bugs in the beta forum (which you don't see). I receive a reply sometimes, but often I do not. I make suggestions for changes that I believe don't work right or could work better. Sometimes I get a reply, often I do not.

But I trust that my posts are read and are being dealt with by the developers with a priority they deem appropriate. They do care and I am confident things will be taken care of in due time. Sometimes, I feel something is important to me and I'd wish I'd get a reply, but I have to realize that, annoying as it may be, its less of a priority in light of other issues that are being dealt with. I have to accept that my bug is not the most important one. That doesn't mean it won't be taken care of, it means it won't be taken care of immediately.

So instead of expecting a reply to every post I make, I consider it a privelege to be part of this team and the fact that I get feedback every so often is good enough for me. In the long run, I've seen some of my feedback make it to stable release, just how cool is that? That's bragging rights mate, right there. Just be patient and consider the bigger picture.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 06:47:05 am »

Although an acknowledgement is nice (warm and fuzzy) it's really not needed all the time IMO.  They see it.  OTOH, I'd rather them save the constant reply and be working on making the software better.  Although I do understand your concern, sadly threads like this take time away from the task at hand.    :(
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos
Pages: [1]   Go Up