INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Imported "library" not playing - keeps "buffering" over and over - + other probs  (Read 8207 times)

elpeefan

• Recent member

I'm not sure which forum this belongs in, sorry if I have it wrong.

Here's the situation:

I'm using channlD's "PureVinyl" to digitize my LP's on a MAC mini "flat" (no RIAA) from a VPI Scout 1.1 through a RME "Fireface UC" ADC at 192/24. The format choices of the "PureVinyl" program were AIFF or CAF uncompressed, or several "lossless" ones. I First chose AIFF, but recording stopped during the third side of an LP set due to file size limitations. I then chose "CAF". "PureVinyl" enables track metadata to be enterred and saved, then "rendered" (whatever that means) as iTunes. The album art was scanned previously, and can be "added" with iTunes. I do not like iTunes. I wish to use JRiver, as I select the music I want to hear by browsing the covers and clicking on "play". I have downloaded and installed JRiver for MAC;I used "import" command to add the library to JRiver and the artwork and track information appears in "Albums" of JRiver.

Here's the problem:

Nothing plays back. I assume the imported files are dependant on the iTunes "rendered" files, not the raw 192/24 data. ITunes indicates from the files that they are 192 at 11 or 12 KBps; JRiver starts "buffering" the files, over and over, with no audio output. Selecting the "raw" data from the drive as "open with" does not offer JRiver as a program to open them. QUESTION: Does JRiver play "CAF" files? If not, can CAF files be converted to WAV files without loss? How would I do this? How would I add track information? I assume the file structure would be like the files JRiver uses for ripped CD's, with the artwork in the same folder as the music files. Can a CAF file on a MAC "journaled" MyBook II (Raid 1) be converted to an NTSF Windows file for playback on JRiver for PC? Also, the "artwork" in the JRiver "albums" selection does not scroll smoothly, but jerks and jumps when the mouse wheel is scrolling it. It is smooth and continuous with the ripped CD music on my PC.

Here's what I want:

I want to use JRiver (either for MAC or PC) to display the LP cover artwork and enable "play" at 192/24 on JRiver with the "JPlay" plugin, with the DAC being the OPPO 105.

I have nearly 700 LP's, and this is a major project. HELP Please!!

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen

My understanding is that the CAF file format is not supported by JRiver (nor probably most if not all of the other music players out there).

How many of your LPS have you already converted using Pure Vinyl, if not a significant number have you sought assistance from them in regards to how to bets utilize their software to digitize your vinyl collection into AIFF format? I understand that double albums might present a challenge due to file size, but is this a problem with single LPs? Unfortunately I don't have alot of experience with Pure Vinyl to help you much.

Also are you editing the recorded album into individual tracks or keeping all the tracks inside one CAF file? You should use Pure Vinyl to extract the individual tracks from the CAF file if you have not done so already. Perhaps that extraction process will allow you to save each track in AIFF format.

My take on a quick review of the user guide is that for single LPS assuming you are recording them at 24/192, AIFF will work fine. It would appear that you hit the AIFF file format 4Gb limit if your recording is over 60 minutes and recorded at 24/192.

My recommendation is record the single albums using AIFF, and for double albums, use the Apple Lossless Compression which is also supported by Pure Vinyl.

If in fact you already have a large number of LPs digitized then yes there are programs that will convert CAF files to other formats that you could use with JRiver such as AIFF and WAV. You would have to google and search around for the right convertor program, there appear to be several out there.

I know this is not much help, but perhaps someone else can provide additional details.

Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.

Do you have a dac installed?  Does JRiver play with the dac?  You have selected your output device.  Right?
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.

Not trying to insult you but just a thought...

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos
Pages: [1]   Go Up