INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New User with some questions  (Read 2834 times)

Munsterz

• Recent member
New User with some questions
« on: August 11, 2013, 01:17:37 am »

Hi everyone, been a lurker for the last week, but after fiddling for a week I thought I'd get some help.

I recently took a chance, dumped itunes and moved over to JRiver cos I was looking for a media management tool that could be used on a home network using tablets/phones to control. My setup is an ethernet enabled lan network and I have assigned static ip addresses to my devices. My home network is sitting on DDNS. The JRiver server sits on a Mac running Mountain Lion OS and the Mac has a Synology DS 413J in another room, within which are located my modem and router. The home theater system runs off a Denon AVR 2313 and QAcoustic speakers with a BD player. Everything here is networked back to the router and the home network. Since I had an old itunes library on Synology, I copied that across and created one for JRiver to access.

Queries

When I now look into my library I see these files:
http://192.xxxxx:50002/transcoder/genericoder.cgi/id=19353.wav?format=WAV&downsample=false
as the location for an audio song which appears to be coming from my Synology.

Assume I am not happy, and I want to rip out my entire library and start again..can I do that and set up audio levelling as a general rule for all tracks?

When I DNLA through my Denon AVR that song comes out as a Wav file and is a lot louder than the original MP3 or MP4a file. What I am trying to ascertain are what these files are. I assume that JRiver has "encoded" this file? or is the term transcode? When does it do this? I also noticed that the audio levels are really different as much as 30db.

I have also tried to use the DSP studio to do volume levelling, but it always says current playback does not support processing...I can't even use Output Format, cos my DLNA Denon's hardware doesn't show up on the dropdown. Is this an issue with DLNA?

My apologies if my questions are too vague, I would be glad to give more info. Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: New User with some questions
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 06:53:21 am »

Welcome to the forum.

MC won't convert files until you play them, and then only if you've set it to do so on the server.  In this case, I think you must be seeing a DLNA server that is built in to the file server (Synology). 

You might try a search here for Synology. 

Munsterz

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 07:42:39 am »

Thanks so if I understand this rite, whenever I add a folder to "import" JRiver will transcode it and make a copy..So if the original copy was a FLAC file, it creates a wave file. Now I am pretty sure I have reached new heights of idiocy, but when I set MC to "look at folders for importing" via the Library manager, why does it import the whole folder again, instead of just the new additions? I have created a new folder for fresh rips, since the older files are still there, when I hit import folder it imports the same folder again including the older contents.

Or is there something really simple I am overlooking?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 09:40:43 am »

Thanks so if I understand this rite, whenever I add a folder to "import" JRiver will transcode it and make a copy.
No.  MC will import your files only.  It won't convert them or move them.

Look at options under Tools/Import/Autimport.  Add directories or edit them.

The wiki has information that might help.

Munsterz

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 09:20:55 pm »

Thanks I've read the wiki...but I am really curious to understand whats happening when I choose import a folder...

a. I choose a folder > Import selected folder with flac files from a network drive
b. In the same network drive I then see > http://192.xxxxx:50002/transcoder/genericoder.cgi/id=19353.wav?format=WAV&downsample=false...what does this entry imply?

When I opt to play my file off my system the original file imported plays at a much lower db level, the latter file comes out as a wav file and is playing back at a a higher db level. I do understand these are relatively basic questions to some, but I am a complete idiot at all this, so I try to understand the "how" to gather the "why".

JohnT

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 10:36:36 am »

So in Media Center, you are choosing "File" from the main menu, then "Library", then "Import...", then "Import a single folder", click "Next" and browse to your network attached drive and select a folder from it.  Is this correct? 

The URL you posted containing "genericoder.cgi" looks like a transcoding program running on the Synology which is converting to WAV format and presenting the filenames as such.  Here is another thread dealing with the same issue that may help you out:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=77737.msg527705#msg527705
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Munsterz

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 10:40:54 am »

Thanks for the information

Munsterz

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 10:43:14 am »

Oh sorry yes to the early question about importing..I have had to do this because the auto import tends to import everythng and not just the new changes to the folder..So I've had to create separate folders for each album that I want to rip as flac. Then point to that folder and single import it. Then once thats done I create a new folder with another album.

JohnT

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 10:47:32 am »

Oh sorry yes to the early question about importing..I have had to do this because the auto import tends to import everythng and not just the new changes to the folder..So I've had to create separate folders for each album that I want to rip as flac. Then point to that folder and single import it. Then once thats done I create a new folder with another album.
So you are ripping to FLAC onto your Synology NAS drive.  You should be able to rip all your albums to one folder (e.g. "Music") and then import that single folder into Media Center when you're done.  Media Center will only import new files that aren't in your library yet.  They should come in with normal filenames ending with ".flac".
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Munsterz

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 12:09:25 pm »

I've learnt so much in the last few days its almost hilarious. What I did originally was set the library as a library on a DNLA device, which explains why I saw so many wav files. Thanks for pointing that thread out, and that probably explains why I had a synching problem as well. So what I have now done is to start a new library excluded folders on the NAS which aren't necessary in the >Music, and set my FLAC folder and my other music folder as Import locations for auto import. If I am to understand this right....

Since my library now appears as a Local library, I shouldn't be seeing all these wav files, and I should be able to do "synch" changes. Now I have to slowly fiddle with this more and see if my Denon AVR 2313 and my 5.1 channel setup can be affected by DSP Studio. My folders are importing into my new library as I type and I want to thank everyone for all their help. This has certainly been highly addictive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up