INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When could we expect JRiver to address a modern UI?  (Read 12681 times)

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
When could we expect JRiver to address a modern UI?
« on: August 11, 2013, 08:52:05 am »

This isn't a specific MC19 question, but it's probably as good a place to ask as any.

I don't mean 'Modern/ Metro/whateverdoesn'infringesomeonestrademarkfigureonealreadyMSjeez', though it would be very nice to have a companion 'Metro' app that isn't a third-party attempt.

I mean enhanced usability on contemporary Windows hardware. I know JRiver is being sidetracked by developing for the Fisher-Price platform but I've been trying to use JRiver for years with touch machines, to no degree of success. Major case in point - the list views don't scroll unless you directly prod the the tiny sliders, and the UI in general is not conducive to 'dual-purpose' touch, and the Theater modes are not an answer when what you want is to have the full use of MC features but be able to throw a little prodding into the mix as and when necessary.

And when using touch-first Windows hardware like e.g. the Tablet2, the Surface Pro or even bigger-screened convertibles like the Duo 13, I find myself wishing I had sharper fingers or digging out the stylus more frequently while using MC than probably anything else that I run on these machines. Heck, the same is true even on my touch-enabled heavy-duty workstation setups or the Dell XPS 27 Touch where I find myself carefully readying a digit, but then saying "I'll just use the mouse".

Any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: When could we expect JRiver to address a modern UI?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 09:56:57 am »

Theater View.

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 10:00:45 am »

Not the answer. Cumbersome to say the least

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 10:18:19 am »

Not a good time to ask a company to invest in Modern UI oriented hardware or software. Windows RT cratered badly, hardware makers are pulling back and the Windows store doesn't look like a success.

I think that additional investment in remote control software for the iPad and Android tablet platforms is more important right now.

I use standard view / panes views now on desktop PCs and laptops and want something like that for a tablet device.  (I want to view multiple fields at once without cover art as opposed to seeing a list of values for one field with cover art taking up most of the screen real estate.) The interface will need some adjustments to deal with the fat finger vs. mouse difference.  My requirements are't the same as somebody else's requirements so I'm looking for remote control software that lets me create and use views as I see fit.

Bill

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 10:31:16 am »

Cumbersome to say the least
For playback, it should be very straight forward.  What is the problem you find?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 10:44:19 am »

Not a good time to ask a company to invest in Modern UI oriented hardware or software. Windows RT cratered badly, hardware makers are pulling back and the Windows store doesn't look like a success.

+ 1

Touch is dead unless it's an iPad specific app that actually works. But anything to do with Windows 8/Metro? Any company with a brain in their head will stay far away from that rodeo. And if MS themselves are smart - Windows 9 had better get back to being "Windows" (as the world knows it) or that company will be in real trouble.

All I know is - if you have to write down almost a billion dollar loss on a tablet (RT) that you thought was going to compete with the iPad - you have better give your head a shake.

I think that additional investment in remote control software for the iPad and Android tablet platforms is more important right now.

Yes. This is where the action should be.

VP

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 11:00:08 am »

As I understand it, the request is for a more touch-friendly UI in the library view, rather than a Metro App, or using Theater View as a remote.

Touch is dead unless it's an iPad specific app that actually works. But anything to do with Windows 8/Metro? Any company with a brain in their head will stay far away from that rodeo. And if MS themselves are smart - Windows 9 had better get back to being "Windows" (as the world knows it) or that company will be in real trouble.
Windows 8 already is "Windows as the world knows it" with an additional touch UI on top.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 11:08:53 am »

Metro is a good interface for Touch.  Microsoft should send Ballmer on an all expenses paid vacation for a while. 

Vocalpoint

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 11:11:33 am »

Windows 8 already is "Windows as the world knows it" with an additional touch UI on top.

Not going to "touch" that one - but believe what you will :)

Microsoft should send Ballmer on an all expenses paid vacation for a while. 

+1

VP

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 04:11:30 pm »

I use standard view / panes views now on desktop PCs and laptops and want something like that for a tablet device.  (I want to view multiple fields at once without cover art as opposed to seeing a list of values for one field with cover art taking up most of the screen real estate.) The interface will need some adjustments to deal with the fat finger vs. mouse difference.  My requirements are't the same as somebody else's requirements so I'm looking for remote control software that lets me create and use views as I see fit.

Bill

We have plenty of (well, a few) remote control clients for jRMC. That's not what I'm getting at.

What you want is basically what I want - the ability to use jRMC in a more touch-friendly manner, except when I'm not on a Fisher-Price tablet.

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 04:17:18 pm »

For playback, it should be very straight forward.  What is the problem you find?

- It's 'swoopy' but actually pretty slow, and the side scrolling bar is again more mouse friendly than touch friendly - especially as it impinges directly on the swipe-in area and an upwards swipe that isn't directly vertical is interpreted as a swipe-in.

- It also throws away the benefit of the main view by locking me into a hierarchical browsing structure.

Just two things out of a few (and there are others such as loss of direct access to other controls in the main screen, or that it's a real pain to get out of Theater mode if you don't have a keyboard to hand), but I'd say two fairly big things. Fixing the scroll would help a lot, but also a touch mode in the vein of Office 2013 would too.

The key here is that I have a computer with a full OS which in other contemporary applications works pretty well in hybrid touch. Then I come to MC and it feels like I'm basically dumped back into the world of XP Tablet Edition.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 06:15:01 pm »

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 06:33:40 pm »

- It's 'swoopy' but actually pretty slow
That would be your hardware.  Try running a benchmark in MC.  It's under Help.  You're probably under 2000.
Pages: [1]   Go Up