INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help needed to configure Gizmo for classical music  (Read 2081 times)

haggis999

• Citizen of the Universe
Help needed to configure Gizmo for classical music
« on: August 19, 2013, 04:28:48 am »

I have created an audio view in MC 18 called 'MyGizmo'. It has a rule that restricts the choice of files to those where Genre contains 'Classical'.

This is defined as a 'Categories' view and shows categories in the following order :
Genre
Sub-Genre
Composer
Work
Name

An example of such a list is as follows:
Genre = Classical
Sub-Genre = Orchestral
Composer = Shostakovich
Work = Symphony No 7 in C major, 'Leningrad', Op 60
Name = IV. Allegro non troppo

As you step through the four movements of this symphony only the Name field would change
Name = I. Allegretto
Name = II. Moderato (poco allegretto)
Name = III. Adagio
Name = IV. Allegro non troppo

The MyGizmo view works fine within MC. When I drill down to a specific multi-track work such as that Shostakovch symphony I get an 'All Files' listing in the bottom half of the screen showing the relevant four tracks. This listing can be easily tweaked to show any tags in any order. I can also use the 'Group By' facility to display a heading showing the Work title of 'Symphony No 7 in C major, 'Leningrad', Op 60'.

However, when I use this same view in Gizmo I get a very different picture. All is well for the process of selecting Shostakovich's 7th Symphony but then things get very confusing. The currently playing track is highlighted by the Name tag, e.g. 'IV. Allegro non troppo' but underneath that I get the Artist tag, which in this case is 'Beethoven Orchester Bonn; Roman Kofman'. Not only that, but this lengthy Artist tag is added at the front of every track name in the playlist.

The key omission is my Work tag. A track name of 'Adagio', for example, could belong to countless classical works in my collection. The work title is of much greater importance than the artist's name.

Can anyone suggest a solution to my missing work title or is Gizmo hard-wired for the much simpler needs of popular music?

David

csimon

Re: Help needed to configure Gizmo for classical music
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 05:44:20 am »

Have you copied the view from standard view into Gizmo views?  And did you do this by "add item from standard view" or by setting it up from scratch?

haggis999

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 06:09:09 am »

Remembering your previous useful advice on that point in an earlier discussion, I did indeed use 'Add item from standard view'. It's not the only view visible on my Gizmo but it's the one that I am using for my current tests.

David 

krmasson

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 07:29:21 am »

I have the same problem w/ Gizmo (on Android device) : no mean to display Composer or track number in the Gizmo view...

Same for WebGizmo : I managed to tweak the display, as explained in the manual. But TrackNbr or Composer are not among the fields that can be displayed...

Another similar issue: in WebGizmo/Gizmo, the CD title is displayed on a (small) single line. This is not convenient when 2 CD titles start the same way (e;g. "Chopin, Complete Nocturnes, vol. 1  (or 2)" ).

I managed to tweak the provided CSS file, and to change the title's size on WebGizmo. But no way for Gizmo.

What a pity... MC 17 is really pleasant to use, but Gizmo and WebGizmo are not convenient at all. That is the only point that prevents me to switch to MC 18, or MC 19.

haggis999

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 02:37:11 pm »

It would be nice if one of the Gizmo developers would comment on whether they think it acceptable that when viewing the currently playing classical track you cannot see either the composer's name or the title of the work.

I want to know that I am currently hearing, for example, the third movement of Beethoven's 6th Symphony. Simply being told that the Symphony Orchestra of Baghdad is playing something called "III. Allegro" is totally useless!

David     

BillT

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 02:55:36 pm »

I'll add my request for a more configurable Now Playing view in Web Gizmo.

Not being able to show your own fields (Composer  / Work / Movement etc) has long been an annoyance.

haggis999

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 03:46:04 am »

Just to make the situation crystal clear for any classical music enthusiast who is new to Gizmo, the app appears to be hard-coded to present only the Artist and Track tags on the 'Playing Now' display (the display you would normally be using when playing a selection of music, possibly from a playlist you defined a long time ago).

That is fine for 99% of popular music. To be told you are hearing "The Rolling Stones" playing "Jumpin' Jack Flash" is all you really need to know. However, if you happen to be listening to some classical piano music, and are told by Gizmo that "Daniel Barenboim" is playing "Allegro", it is pretty meaningless. There are countless piano works with a movement entitled "Allegro" from a huge range of composers.

Presenting just two tags on the Playing Now display is not enough for classical music. To make any sense, three specific tags are required: Composer, Work and Track. This means that Gizmo would have to support custom tags on the Playing Now screen and allow you to choose a genre-specific presentation that recognises the very different needs of pop and classical.

I'm not expecting Gizmo to be fixed overnight but some indication that the developers do plan to deal with this at some time in the reasonably near future would be most welcome.

David

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 07:04:10 am »

Problem noted.

haggis999

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 07:08:42 am »

Thanks, Jim. Any time next month will be fine by me ...   :)

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up