INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: exclude adjust volume  (Read 3071 times)

puplax

exclude adjust volume
« on: August 25, 2013, 06:22:31 am »

please, how can I exclude "adjust volume by - xx db for clip protection" in the DSP for vision movie, I can not find the solution, the volume goes down automatically too and I have to continuously turn up the volume.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: exclude adjust volume
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 05:20:41 pm »

This happens if some other DSP pushes the signal over 100%.  Carefully check everything that's listed in Audio Path:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Path

If you're using a DSP that adds volume, consider switching to 'Internal Volume' because of this:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Volume#Internal_Volume_Headroom
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

scomed99

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 09:16:43 am »

Hi, same problem here....

Is it not possible to disable the control volume in every way?

My setting are:

-disable volume
-no dsp plugin
-flat line overflow
-device: lynx AE16 ASIO driver

When an original BD start the Audio Path flow are empty, when the first action scene comes through the "adjust volume by - xx db for clip protection" item comes out.
This is definitely a issue because force you to watch the movie with the remote control in hand! ::) ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 09:21:43 am »

Welcome scomed99.

I think video playback always uses Clip Protection instead of Flat Lining.  So when a Blu-ray is mastered to go above 100%, it could turn the volume down.

This was mostly to make the DSP chain work with the older Adaptive Volume model that's no longer used in MC19, so perhaps we could change this and support flat lining for video.

As an aside, with a Lynx you might get the best audio quality if you switch to Internal Volume (and you'll work around this issue).

scomed99

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 02:00:09 pm »

Thanks for fast reply!

If I set Internal Volume and I set the Volume to 100% the same thing will happen as to set Disable Volume=volume reduction.

If I set Internal volume to 75%=-7db the issue go away.

I would like to use my pre-pro McIntosh MX136 to manage volume and -7db of overall volume isn't a joke.......

IMHO a feature that disable volume reduction would be welcome  ;) :)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 02:28:21 pm »

I've never had this happen with a Blu-ray when using my AES16e and multi-channel output. The volume reduction is basically a fail-safe for an improperly mastered file.

However, if you are downmixing to stereo or 2.1, JRiver will almost always clip when not using internal volume. The volume reduction will also kick in during this scenario even when volume is disabled. This is because downmixing required channel attenuation of all channels to mix in the LFE channel. JRiver requires about 4 dB more attenuation in my testing when downmixing to avoid clipping.

There isn't anyway around volume reduction when downmixing. It has to happen for the channels to be mixed properly.

Are you downmixing?

scomed99

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 03:08:39 pm »

No, 6ch direct, 48khz, 32 bit.
Lynx AE16 ASIO driver

Original BD and no DSP.
When movie start the audio path is empty, when first action movie come through the volume reduction in the audio path comes out. (volume set 100% or disable)

With 2ch original CD and same settings the volume reduction don't comes out.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 03:18:11 pm »

No Room Correction either? In other words, no bass management?

Can you tell us one of the movies that has the issue. If I have it or if it is available at Redbox I'll try to check it out.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 03:24:43 pm »

What's the 'Peak Level (R128)' and 'Peak Level (Sample)' for a movie that has the problem?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 03:29:32 pm »

Also, which audio track are you using?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 03:50:18 pm »

In a coming build:
Changed: Video playback no longer forces the 'Clip protection' overflow handling mode but instead allows flat-lining overflows if so desired.

However, I'd still like to know what results you're seeing from the audio analysis, and also what movie you're testing.  I suppose this is an argument for enabling the new R128 volume handling, because it protects against clipping while maintaining a consistent volume.

scomed99

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 05:02:10 pm »

The movie is The book of Eli italian version (when the bad boys rocks the house with the minigun), as soon as possible I will share some screenshot. (reduction -0,8db)
This is an example because in other many action scenes the volume reduction comes out (internal vol set to 100% or disable, no dsp and room correction).

Thanks for support!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 05:06:12 pm »

The movie is The book of Eli italian version (when the bad boys rocks the house with the minigun), as soon as possible I will share some screenshot. (reduction -0,8db)
This is an example because in other many action scenes the volume reduction comes out (internal vol set to 100% or disable, no dsp and room correction).

Thanks for support!

Could you use 'Analyze Audio' to get the numbers I mentioned above?

Thanks.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 05:20:02 pm »

I just played back the Book of Eli scene with the DTS-HD track and didn't have any volume reduction. Internal Volume was set to 100%. I monitored the levels using SPAN (VST Plugin) and levels maxed at 0 dBFS. It will show if they go over.

For comparison, the Peak Level (R128) of this clip is +0.1L, +0.0R, +0.3C, +0.0 Sub, +0.5SL, +0.4SR.

scomed99

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 05:59:31 pm »

I will send you in attachement a sreenshot with volume reduction.
Internal volume set 100%.

Is it not possible to analyze audio from original BD, it's true?

If yes asap I will rip the BD I will post the "audio analyze".

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 07:15:02 pm »

You can only analyze a ripped Blu-ray.

You are playing the DTS core, but not the DTS-HD audio. See the wiki for how to decode and play DTS-HD.

scomed99

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 01:46:59 am »

In your opinion the DTS core could be the issue?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 09:00:20 am »

I just played the Gatling Gun scene again in Book of Eli with the DTS core. It triggered clip protection and an adjustment of -0.1 dB. SPAN showed the clip to actually be 1.9 over 0 dBFS.

I would recommend you setup your system to decode DTS-HD. That should eliminate the problem. However, an adjustment of even a few dB isn't going to hurt anything unless you listen with the volume all the way up on your McIntosh and feel like you need 2 dB more.

If staying with DTS, I would add a Parametric Equalizer "Adjust the volume" entry at -2 dB for all channels. That should take care of the problem. Then disable internal volume. This ensures that the volume is always at max and you don't inadvertently lower internal volume.

I just tried the same clip with -.5 dB in the PEQ. Now JRiver does an "adjust volume by -0.0 dB for clip protection."  ;D I think there is still some clipping going on as shown in SPAN. If I lower the adjustment to -2.0 dB, then JRiver no longer does any adjustment for clip protection.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 10:17:53 am »

Changed: Video playback no longer forces the 'Clip protection' overflow handling mode but instead allows flat-lining overflows if so desired.
This was included in build 19.0.45 at the top of this board. I tried the same clip with flat-lining and no volume adjustments are made. In my opinion it is better to decode the DTS-HD or turn down the volume -2 dB for all movies rather than flat-line overflows but it is up to you.

scomed99

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 10:20:37 am »

Thanks!  :)

Set -x.x db lower Internal Volume is as add a -x.x db PEQ for all channels, it's true?

scomed99

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 10:30:53 am »

Simply the best support ever!  ;) ;D

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 01:14:16 pm »

Thanks!  :)

Set -x.x db lower Internal Volume is as add a -x.x db PEQ for all channels, it's true?

I think it should be. But, in my testing yesterday, I found that I could use about a dB less attenuation in PEQ than in Internal Volume before clip protection kicked in. The PEQ also allows you to have more precise adjustment if you need it. The internal volume is in a minimum of .5 db increments.
Pages: [1]   Go Up