INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2xDSD output not working with Teac UD-501  (Read 45600 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: 2xDSD output not working with Teac UD-501
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2013, 12:46:22 pm »

The issue was that their driver doesn't support kAsioGetIoFormat or kAsioCanDoIoFormat.  Luckily we can work around this without causing too much trouble.

Next build:
Fixed: 2x DSD playback was not working on the TEAC UD-501.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bobjr

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2013, 02:33:08 pm »

Matt,

I'd like to thank you on your attention to this matter.  I am new to JRiver and am trying to move to a computer-based system that handles DSD/FLAC/MP3(I know).  Using a CAPS media server/TEAC UD-501 along with a Nexus 7 and Gizmo, I'm able to fully customize how I want to listen to music in its native format.  I'm getting VERY close to having a system capable of playing high-resolution content that was not possible a few years ago.  And I'm doing it for a reasonable price without hours and hours of configuration.  That is if you don't count the time spent ripping of my CD/SACD collection.  For ripping, Vortexbox was a great piece of software as well.

Thanks again, and you are a credit to the software development community!  I look forward to the release.

Regards,
Jr!

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2013, 03:10:53 pm »

Awesomeness!

Thanks a bunch!

lmf22

• Recent member
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2013, 10:38:51 pm »

Thanks for working on this!  Does it mean the next build can also do native DSD (not DoP DSD) when using PCM to 2xDSD?

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2013, 09:48:41 am »

While it took some effort, it's good to hear that some manufacturers are willing to work with you on problems like this.

lmf22

• Recent member
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2013, 09:20:51 pm »

I just downloaded the latest build of JRiver (19.0.51).  PCM to 2xDSD using the TEAC ASIO drivers now works!  The "DoP" indicator on the TEAC's display is OFF, which indicates the stream is native, not DoP.

rael71

• World Citizen
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2013, 12:09:38 pm »

Does it means that now you can play DSD files in native mode (bitstreaming DSD) and not in DoP with the Teac?
I've read that the DSD files sound better in native mode than in DoP...

P.S I cannot try it because I'm waiting for my Teac to arrive.... :P

Bye

Andrea
Bye!

Andrea

« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2013, 02:27:54 pm »

Does it means that now you can play DSD files in native mode (bitstreaming DSD) and not in DoP with the Teac?
I've read that the DSD files sound better in native mode than in DoP...
DoP and DSD are the same as far as playback is concerned, it's just a different method of transferring DSD to the DAC.

rael71

• World Citizen
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2013, 02:11:09 pm »

DoP and DSD are the same as far as playback is concerned, it's just a different method of transferring DSD to the DAC

I know but I've read that thing from some owners of the Teac, maybe psychoacoustics....?
Bye!

Andrea

DZetye

• Recent member
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2013, 12:09:56 pm »

I understand that these problems have been fixed with native 2xDSD playback.  Can someone give me all the proper configuration details I need to know when setting up my Teac this way?  Will I need to load any drivers on my new Teac I will get Tuesday next week?
What is the output format setting?  What about bit streaming?  It would be nice if someone could provide all the important settings to make this work on the newest version of JRMC19 OSX Mavericks.  It might clear up the confusion once and for all.  If someone familiar enough with the settings could list them, it would be appreciated.  thanks.

« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2013, 05:33:48 am »

I understand that these problems have been fixed with native 2xDSD playback.  Can someone give me all the proper configuration details I need to know when setting up my Teac this way?  Will I need to load any drivers on my new Teac I will get Tuesday next week?
What is the output format setting?  What about bit streaming?  It would be nice if someone could provide all the important settings to make this work on the newest version of JRMC19 OSX Mavericks.  It might clear up the confusion once and for all.  If someone familiar enough with the settings could list them, it would be appreciated.  thanks.
You will have to install the drivers and likely use ASIO output from Media Center.
In the DSP Studio (Player > DSP Studio) under Output Format you can enable "Output Encoding" and set that to 2x DSD.

bjas

• Recent member
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2014, 05:27:35 pm »

I've followed this thread as best I can but am still confused as to whether the latest version and build of JRiver can bitstream, without any digital signal processing (DSP) of any kind, DSD1 and DSD2 to the Teac UD-501 using ASIO, not WASAPI/DoP. In other words, if JRiver is configured pursuant to the JRiverWiki entry below, then will the Teac UD-501 be able to receive the non-DSProcessed stream and convert it to analog?

"ASIO 2.2
This uses the native DSD bitstreaming support built into ASIO 2.2. The ASIO driver for your DAC must support it.
To bitstream using this method:
Select 'ASIO' in Options > Audio > Output mode (and configure 'Output mode settings...' as necessary)
Select Options > Audio > Bitstreaming > Custom... and check _only_ 'DSD' (in MC17 and earlier, Bitstreaming is under Options > Video)"

Thanks to anyone who has the answer to my question and is willing to share it.

David R. Williams

• Recent member
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2014, 05:49:40 pm »

I can't vouch for the internals of how MC processes DSD files, but yes, if you set up your UD-501 via USB with the Teac ASIO driver as described above, you should be able to drive both native DSD and DoP DSD at both 2.8 and 5.6MHz.

My system is having a slight problem with something like a sampling noise leaking through to my system when I use native 2xDSD conversion on PCM files, as I was getting a low-level burbling sound when there's low/no volume in the file, but this goes away as soon as I switch to DoP.

bjas

• Recent member
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2014, 08:15:06 pm »

I can't vouch for the internals of how MC processes DSD files, but yes, if you set up your UD-501 via USB with the Teac ASIO driver as described above, you should be able to drive both native DSD and DoP DSD at both 2.8 and 5.6MHz.

My system is having a slight problem with something like a sampling noise leaking through to my system when I use native 2xDSD conversion on PCM files, as I was getting a low-level burbling sound when there's low/no volume in the file, but this goes away as soon as I switch to DoP.

Thanks for your reply, David. It sounds as though you are having an issue when you stream to the Teac a file that has been subjected to JRiver MC digital signal processing (2xDSD conversion on PCM files), not a file that JRiver MC simply passed through with no DSP. Is this correct? It is my understanding that JRiver MC can pass through and stream both DSD1 and DSD2 with no DSP to a DAC via USB.  

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2014, 12:39:48 am »

I've followed this thread as best I can but am still confused as to whether the latest version and build of JRiver can bitstream, without any digital signal processing (DSP) of any kind, DSD1 and DSD2 to the Teac UD-501 using ASIO, not WASAPI/DoP. In other words, if JRiver is configured pursuant to the JRiverWiki entry below, then will the Teac UD-501 be able to receive the non-DSProcessed stream and convert it to analog?

Yes. Bitstreaming has no processing whatsoever.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2014, 12:43:50 am »

This sounds to me like intermodulation.

Which filter setting do you have your TEAC set to?

Can you check Tools/Options/Audio, scroll down to the bottom to Advanced. Click Configure Input Plugin and choose DSD input plugin. What is it set to there?

David R. Williams

• Recent member
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2014, 10:36:38 pm »

Agreed - it's one of those "happens sometimes, sometimes not" things that was driving me a little nuts trying to diagnose.  When it was there it didn't matter whether I used FIR2 or FIR3, but as soon as I switched from native 2xDSD to DoP 2xDSD it went away, so although it wasn't conclusively the solution, it seemed to help at the time.

I switched the output stage tubes in my preamp and haven't heard it again, so it's likely not related to the pcm to dsd conversion and may have been some form of interaction between the dac and my pre-amp.  Who knows - it's gone and sounds great, so I'm happy.

rael71

• World Citizen
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2014, 10:10:10 am »

I tried today to enable PCM to DSD real time conversion but I got a distorsion in sound.

MC 19.0.163 and TEac UD-501 connected with USB.

I tried with every setting (ASIO or wasapi and 1x, 2x Native or DoP) but with the same results.

I tried also every DSD filter on my DAC but with same results.

Any thoughts about it?

P.S. I tried with another player and and the conversion works without any noise or distorsion

Thanks

Andrea
Bye!

Andrea

Karl78

• Recent member
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2014, 08:48:40 am »

Have you solved the problem Andrea? In my case (but i'm on teac ud 301, not 501) i have to set buffering (under play options --> audio --> audio device -->device settings) on 50 ms. Below (by default i use minimum hardware size on ASIO), PCM to 2xDSD output sound is distorted and slowed. But i've another problem. I'm on TEAC UD 301 (and MC 20.0.16) via ASIO (drivers are the same of UD 501, 1.0.3), Bitstreaming: Yes (DSD), Output Encoding: 2xDSD in native format, Audio Path Output: DSD 5,6Mhz 1bit 2ch using ASIO (not using enough bits to output the input directly). Why this last message? No problem instead with 2xDSD in DoP format.

rael71

• World Citizen
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2014, 02:38:44 pm »

Hi Karl, I didn't solve the problem, I simply disabled pcm2dsd....

I played a bit with buffering on device settings but for me it didn't work.
Maybe i will create a post about this in Jriver20 board because more people read that than this....

For the messages in audio path mine are the same as yours, I don't know if that message for 2xdsd in native format means something wrong or not

Thanks anyway and bye

Andrea
Bye!

Andrea

Karl78

• Recent member
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2014, 04:30:17 pm »

Maybe i will create a post about this in Jriver20 board because more people read that than this....

Good idea. I'll follow the new thread too.

Have you tried to change sample buffer size in teac driver control panel? (Device settings --> Open driver control panel). I use either this setting or the 50ms option, not both. But i wonder why, since i don't think there is a question of hardware requirements (i'm on i7, 16GB RAM). Maybe USB issue, but i changed usb port, cable (now i'm on audioquest pearl), i tried also with usb hub, but with no results.

rael71

• World Citizen
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2014, 04:36:03 pm »

I tried but nothing changed....
Bye!

Andrea

Karl78

• Recent member
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2014, 04:48:21 pm »

:(

Edit: About the audio path message, i found the answer (i searched on forum before, but i didn't see it): http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82074.msg582463#msg582463 (it's what i was thinking but i wasn't sure at all).

Notrevo

• Recent member
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2015, 11:55:10 am »

Good afternoon JRiver forum-ites: I read through a number of these threads and choose settings suggested but still no joy for me using the JR 20 and DSD (1X or @X DSD) with the TEAC UD-501 using the latest TEAC ASIO driver.  Constant popping and clicking is heard whether I play MP3, WAV, or DSF files. I am running JR 20 on a XPS with an i7 @3.4GHz on Windows 10...hoping there is sufficient horsepower there to support the processing needed. I am tempted to try a AudioQuest USB cable to see if that makes any difference.

Edit: ==> I adjusted the buffer from 50Ms to 500Ms and all seems to be working well. Joy to the world!! No more pops or clicks!

Edit: ==> II added benchmark data.

=== Running Benchmarks (please do not interrupt) ===

Running 'Math' benchmark...
    Single-threaded integer math... 3.793 seconds
    Single-threaded floating point math... 2.336 seconds
    Multi-threaded integer math... 1.248 seconds
    Multi-threaded mixed math... 0.812 seconds
Score: 2320

Running 'Image' benchmark...
    Image creation / destruction... 0.312 seconds
    Flood filling... 0.313 seconds
    Direct copying... 0.442 seconds
    Small renders... 1.050 seconds
    Bilinear rendering... 0.827 seconds
    Bicubic rendering... 0.485 seconds
Score: 6416

Running 'Database' benchmark...
    Create database... 0.183 seconds
    Populate database... 2.067 seconds
    Save database... 1.398 seconds
    Reload database... 0.521 seconds
    Search database... 0.781 seconds
    Sort database... 0.938 seconds
    Group database... 0.709 seconds
Score: 3259

JRMark (version 20.0.131): 3998

felix2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2015, 10:24:32 pm »

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I'm not sure.

I'm using the latest Teac ASIO driver. It works for 1xDSD and it works bitstreaming both 1x and 2xDSD. Display on the Teac shows 2.8 and 5.6 mHz.

But when I set output to 2xDSD I get the 'something went wrong with playback' popup. Message says playback could not be started using the format 352,8kHz 64bit 2ch. Below that, ASIO device does not support the sample rate of 705600 Hz.

TIA!

I also have a TEAC UD-501 and it plays DSDx1, DSDx2 native files or DoP perfectly. Supplied ASIO driver used. Must not use WASAPI.
BTW the TEAC Hi-Res Editor converts PCM to DSD better then JR Media Center. Subjective listening tests.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up