INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does MediaCenter provide similar functionality to Home Sharing?  (Read 1769 times)

londonman

I would like to access my music which is stored on the iMac in my house and play it back using my iPod Touch in the workshop. I have the trial version of MC for Mac as I saw reference to this sort of functionality being supported.  I must be looking in the wrong place or being technically challenged !

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Does MediaCenter provide similar functionality to Home Sharing?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 08:25:13 am »

Check out the JRemote app:

http://www.jremote.net/

Just enable 'Media Network' in Media Center (Tools / Options / Media Network) and then on your iPhone/iPad/iPod use JRemote for remote control and playback.  On Android devices, use our Gizmo app.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

londonman

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 08:38:46 am »

Many thanks for the reply.  If I understand the app description correctly then it controls my iMac remotely...say, from a chair in the same room...but the sound will come out of my iMac.  If I am correct then that isn't what I am looking for.  I want to be able to access my iMac library remotely on my iPod but actually play the audio on the iPod (well, actually over an old hifi system plugged into the 3.5mm jack on the iPod) as well.

JohnT

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 08:45:54 am »

JRemote can play your Media Center media right on your "i" device, so the scenario you described should work just fine.

londonman

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 08:51:12 am »

Many thanks.  Will give it a try.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 09:37:38 am »

I've used JRemote for a long time myself and it works beautifully. It does what you want (stream music to the device for local playback) but it can also act as a remote control as you described to control your iMac, so its function is twofold.

Note however, that local playback doesn't work for videos other than some mp4's. I'm not up to date on all the details surrounding this because I never used JRemote for that and never bothered to figure it out. I used to use another application for streaming videos to my ipad.

JohnT

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 09:49:20 am »

The OP was talking about music so I didn't bring up the video issue, but you're right that JRemote won't play video content on the "i" device if it needs transcoding.
Pages: [1]   Go Up