INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Device uses only most significant 24 bits (Lynx, etc)  (Read 16905 times)

jd002200

• Recent member
Device uses only most significant 24 bits (Lynx, etc)
« on: September 11, 2013, 11:54:51 am »

Can anyone tell me how to decide if I should enable the above option in output mode settings? In my desktop I have a Creative X-FI Fatality sound card. My laptop is connected via USB to an Audio Research CD9 DAC. Thanks for any tips you can provide.

Jim

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Device uses only most significant 24 bits (Lynx, etc)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 12:07:58 pm »

No.

This option is only meaningful for hardware that requests 32bit integer data but internally discards the lower 8bits of data without dithering / rounding.  Lynx is the only hardware I know that does this.

The option tells Media Center to dither to 24-bit instead of 32-bit, theoretically changing the shape / quality of the 24th bit for this type of hardware.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 05:19:07 pm »

Yes

If Audio Path shows the Output to be 32 bit, but you have a 24 bit DAC (which most are) then you should use the option. 

My Creative X-Fi Elite and Steinberg MR816 both show up as being 32 bit. I have found that many DACs that have internal DSP will show up as 32 bit presumably so that it can maintain a higher quality on the incoming data before it does any processing. The final output is still 24 bit.

Note:  WASAPI with Automatic Bitdepth will also show the Output to be 32 bit for a 24 bit DAC but it doesn't have the option to "use most significant bits." Of course those needing the option will be using ASIO anyway.

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 01:02:21 pm »

This option is only meaningful for hardware that requests 32bit integer data but internally discards the lower 8bits of data without dithering / rounding.  Lynx is the only hardware I know that does this.
The option tells Media Center to dither to 24-bit instead of 32-bit, theoretically changing the shape / quality of the 24th bit for this type of hardware.
Benchmark Media have recommended using this with their DACs as well.
I would have thought it applied to most DACs, as few accept 32-bit data.

BEZMan

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 12:22:52 pm »

Hi Guys,

I had the same question about my Music Fidelity V 192 -> Nuforce HDP (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=83631.msg571083).

Looks like Music Fidelity does not have an email support option, so I will ask my question here ;):

What about leaving it checked in any case - I guess it cannot hurt to leave it on right?

If we dither at 24bits [checked] vs 32 bits [unchecked],  but the DAC dither at 24 bits anyways, the only potential downside of being wrong could be double-dithering at 24bits which is not that bad... ?

What do you think?

Thanks!

Pages: [1]   Go Up