INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing new FLAC, ALAC, Wave, and AIFF rips into JRiver with consistent tags  (Read 12201 times)

Sapagrino

• Junior Woodchuck

I am hoping someone can help me with the first group of what will be many questions.

I am trying to finalize a strategy for ripping my CD collection (1000+) using dbPoweramp and importing it into JRiver Media Center(JMC), and need to modify the default tags and mapping to get all 4 formats to be tagged consistently by the time they are first imported.

The attached 3 screenshots illustrate (if I uploaded correctly) the inconsistencies.  Yellow highlights what is expected.  Blue what must be addressed.

http://pix01.com/L41%40Y8wU

Besides JMC, I want the flexibility to also use iTunes/iPod and other software--in the future or as needed by me or others in the family.

Everything has to play well with:

A) Sonos house-wide system w/5 Sonos touch controllers

B) Music Room & Closet equipment: Sonos, Oppo universal player, MacMini, NAS, and Integra A/V Receiver used for 5.1, are currently networked and my 2-channel pre-amp can also access; I will likely buy a "C.A.P.S. Server" to have the library served from a PC w/JRemote (and Sonos) instead of current combination of Sonos and MacMini.

C) MS Surface Pro, 5 iPads in household, iPhones, JRemote, iMac, MacBook, MacMini, old Lenovo Tablet PC, work PC laptop

D) I plan to redo the house and upgrade DACs, revisit possible Sooloos or other system with full AMG metadata "swimming", etc. -- so long term flexibility needed.  

Flexibility is key, here, both as to file format and metadata precision, and I have some specific custom fields I want to add--some to be tagged upon each rip; some only as time permits while ripping; others only while listening over time to my collection.

I will adhere to Computer Audiophile Ripping Strategy.

I will use dbpa's Multi Encoder to rip simultaneously to all 4 formats, set DSPs that will include "ID Tag Processing," and set its CD Ripper Meta Data & ID Tag options to refine and add to tagging.

Before I begin creating custom tags, I want to make sure all of dbpa's default tags end up in the same places in all formats.

Can someone help me address the inconsistencies in the attached screen-shots?  Namely:

Year / Date -- Wave and AIFF lose the Month and Day.

Pad Track #s -- ALAC fails to pad Track # and Disc #

Encoder -- AIFF fails to include Encoder and Encoder Settings.  JRiver doesn't show encoder setting for AIFF, but also not for FLAC and ALAC.

Album art name -- ALAC is only one that called it "Artwork 1" rather than "Front Album Cover"

Style / Grouping -- For ALAC, AIFF and Wave, JRiver has moved "Style" to "Grouping".  It has also swapped out the semicolons ( ; ) with slashes ( / ).

Label / Publisher -- the Label tags that dbpa put in all 4 files have been moved by JRiver into the Publisher field for the Wave and AIFF files.  (Even when I add a Label user field to JRiver, it only shows the FLAC and ALAC tags.  The Publisher is blank for the FLAC and ALAC files.)

I can't be the first person that has tried to get consistency across these 4 formats from dbpa to JMC.  Has someone already figured this all out?  

Thank you.

Sapagrino

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

You may learn more by setting it up and starting.

Try MC's ripper and just rip to WAV.  AIFF might also work.

Sapagrino

• Junior Woodchuck

You may learn more by setting it up and starting.

Try MC's ripper and just rip to WAV.  AIFF might also work.

I don't understand how this is responsive to my issues.  Did you look at the print screens I posted?  For example, why does JRiver take the "style" that dbpa correctly put in all 4 formats, and move it to the "Grouping" field for three of the formats?  Thank you.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

I'm not sure exactly what your'e looking for, but all formats don't have the same tag formats (ID3v2, Vorbis comments, APE tags, etc.).

Personally I'd recommend ripping to one format only.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Sapagrino

• Junior Woodchuck

Thank you.  It appears I have put too many questions/complexities into one post.  I will try again, breaking it into smaller and simpler chunks.  There are several reasons I need more than one file format.  Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up