INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver audio engine as an ASIO driver - uninstall?  (Read 8965 times)

bhuddell

JRiver audio engine as an ASIO driver - uninstall?
« on: September 29, 2013, 01:06:40 pm »

One of my machines is a PC DAW where I would prefer that the JRiver audio engine not be listed as an available ASIO driver. What is the best way to remove this function on a given PC? I can delete the associated registry keys, but I'd like to know if there's a better method. Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver audio engine as an ASIO driver - uninstall?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 03:21:32 pm »

Try updating MC.  19.0.45 is at the top of this board.

bhuddell

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 06:36:29 pm »

Thanks, that is the version I'm running. I'm not having the issue where another program loads the JRiver ASIO driver unnecessarily. I just like to keep the list of available ASIO drivers on my DAW PC as short as possible, so I was asking if there's a preferred way to uninstall the driver. Deleting the registry keys has worked fine so it's not really a problem, but maybe an option to disable that feature would be useful in the future.

Thanks again!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 07:23:21 pm »

If the driver isn't causing troubles, why do you care if it's in the list?  I don't mean to question your motivation -- I'm just trying to understand if it's an OCD thing (which I can certainly appreciate!) or if there's some technical consideration.

ASIO driver registration is just a few simple registry keys, and nothing is loaded unless the driver is in use.  There's no system overhead unless it's actively being used.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bhuddell

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 09:44:57 am »

It's mostly OCD! My audio interface has 12 channels and the JRiver driver effectively doubles that, meaning there are six stereo pairs listed that I will never use. The closest it comes to an annoyance is that I have a program that always scans for ASIO drivers on startup and I have to scroll through the JRiver outputs to get to my interface. Again, not a big deal, and not an issue at all with the JRiver ASIO reg keys removed.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 10:53:04 am »

If the driver isn't causing troubles, why do you care if it's in the list?  I don't mean to question your motivation -- I'm just trying to understand if it's an OCD thing (which I can certainly appreciate!) or if there's some technical consideration.

ASIO driver registration is just a few simple registry keys, and nothing is loaded unless the driver is in use.  There's no system overhead unless it's actively being used.

Thanks.

Matt,

I realize you are working on this to make it as non-obtrusive as can be - and while I am not speaking for others - for my  DAWs - I do not want any additional listings or matter of fact - any other ASIO "driver" installs - at all.

We all have our specific reasons and our specific audio interfaces that we choose for pro level production. But I am finding this v19 ASIO function to be invasive since we cannot even use the app without it automatically installing itself as a "driver".

While this is not quite a malware scenario - it definitely is a case of lower level system software being installed without any user involvement over whether it should be allowed or not.

Ideally - with this "MC as an ASIO driver" in v19 - there should be an option during install asking the user if they want this ASIO driver function. Then the user could opt in or out as their situation dictates.

I am hoping you can work this out so v19 could just be a "play client" on a DAWs and I would also ask that you give some thought and consideration to those audio pros that do not wish to have another ASIO driver interface installed onto any machine without asking.

VP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 10:59:00 am »

There is no driver installed by MC.  MC, in this case, appears as if it were a driver, but it is the same MC you know.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 11:42:00 am »

There is no driver installed by MC.  MC, in this case, appears as if it were a driver, but it is the same MC you know.

Understood. But it still should be an option to "not" have MC show as a driver system wide - especially when a pro audio DAW is being used.

Perhaps install MC as is - "as an ASIO driver" but have offer a checkbox in Options that lets a user remove MC as a ASIO driver. Removing this checkbox could have MC clean up the registry to ensure "MC ASIO" does not appear as a driver selection or clog up any audio interface listings in many popular DAW applications.

I did not have v19 (45) installed long enough to see what bhuddell was seeing but expect the same with many of my applications. My current RME driver offers 12 or 14 unique pairs of inputs/outputs to my hardware and my apps. I would hate to see a list with 30 (or more) inputs and outputs showing up in my software due to the "MC ASIO" item suddenly appearing.

VP

ksalno

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 07:52:50 pm »

Doesn't look like anyone ever responded to this question, so I'd like to raise it again. Since I've been through many versions of MC, when I open a list of drivers on Windows, Media Center shows up 5 or 6 times, once per version. I don't do recording but I do a lot of streaming and having to scroll through a list of invalid drivers every time I switch outputs is a pain. I have used MC uninstall on every version but somehow it doesn't clean up these old virtual "drivers". Is there a way to do this via Regedit?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 01:42:44 am »

The ASIO drivers are in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO, you can delete old entries from there. I'll double check that future versions clean up more thoroughly.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 06:23:48 pm »

I uninstalled MC23 from my HTPC the other day, and was looking for some specific MC entries in the Registry. I was pretty surprised to find that there were MC entries going all the way back to MC18, the first version I used.

I cleaned up some of the entries, but there were a lot to find, and confirm as not needed. Many that use CLSIDs which I can't confirm as required or not.

It would be nice, Hendrik, if in addition to MC cleaning up its entries better when it was uninstalled, that there was a JRiver utility that went back and cleaned up all old entries of versions no longer installed. I know that there is no return on investment in that work, but I hate having my Registry just grow and grow, and I gave up using third-party Registry Cleaners some time ago.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up