INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Squeezebox with JRiver Mac  (Read 6247 times)

rblnr

• Recent member
Squeezebox with JRiver Mac
« on: October 10, 2013, 05:40:51 pm »

Anybody doing this?  If so, do tell thx. 

Ian M

• Recent member
Re: Squeezebox with JRiver Mac
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 09:59:04 am »

Yes. I am streaming FLAC files to my SBT wirelessly and it works ok. This is only a temporary solution at the moment, one of the reasons is that you not be able to get gapless playback.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 12:18:52 pm »

Check the file type that is actually received by the SB.  I believe you will find it is mp3, since the LMS DLNA plug-in will stream via MP3.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Ian M

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 12:22:10 pm »

Check the file type that is actually received by the SB.  I believe you will find it is mp3, since the LMS DLNA plug-in will stream via MP3.

Wheeze box says it is a FLAC being received. I had problems with ALAC, they would only stream as mp3.

rblnr

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 12:22:57 pm »

Yes. I am streaming FLAC files to my SBT wirelessly and it works ok. This is only a temporary solution at the moment, one of the reasons is that you not be able to get gapless playback.

How are you getting the SBs to appear in JRiver ?

Ian M

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 12:32:14 pm »

How are you getting the SBs to appear in JRiver ?

Set up a generic DNLA server in jriver and it should appear automagically as a zone.

Ian M

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 12:50:37 pm »

Set up a generic DNLA server in jriver and it should appear automagically as a zone.

You still need to have LMS running.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 12:51:38 pm »

Ian, are the files being streamed, or is LMS picking up the same local file that MC sees?  You can check the full URL of the file being played.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Ian M

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 01:21:44 pm »

Ian, are the files being streamed, or is LMS picking up the same local file that MC sees?  You can check the full URL of the file being played.

Not sure what you mean. But what's being played are the same files that are in MC library. If you look at LMS it reports that they are being played via DNLA. LMS does not know of any file locations as I have not scanned anything with it and the hard drive I am playing from is not known about in any if the LMS settings. I am controlling this by jremote and it works very well apart from the gapless playback. Also you cannot scrub through a track on jremote and also if you pause a track and start again it will play from beginning of track.

mysticisgod

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 08:24:49 pm »

I've found that the sound quality isn't near as good play though MC as it is using the Actual Squeezebox server software. I've found on MC19 the volume is very low and the sound is flat. In MC18 the opposite was happening, sound was very loud and would distort. My advice is stick to the SBS... MC is also limited to 24bit/48kHz playback.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 09:21:27 pm »

MC is also limited to 24bit/48kHz playback.
That's not correct.  See Output Format in DSP Studio.  It's under the Player menu.

mysticisgod

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 11:16:51 pm »

That's not correct.  See Output Format in DSP Studio.  It's under the Player menu.
I'm not saying MC doesn't play greater than 24/48 but when streaming to my Squeezebox Touch the maximum I get is 24/48.

My Audiolab MDAC which is connected to my Squeezebox Touch shows all my hi-res audio (24/96 & 24/192) playback output at 24/48?

Ian M

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 01:12:06 am »

I'm not saying MC doesn't play greater than 24/48 but when streaming to my Squeezebox Touch the maximum I get is 24/48.

My Audiolab MDAC which is connected to my Squeezebox Touch shows all my hi-res audio (24/96 & 24/192) playback output at 24/48?

Check the file format in SBT, does it say mp3?

mysticisgod

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 08:49:32 pm »

Check the file format in SBT, does it say mp3?

I can't find anywhere on the SBT on the file playback, but I have a feeling it is converting to mp3 because the sound it noticeably worse than playback using the Squeezebox server software.

Ian M

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 03:33:59 am »

I can't find anywhere on the SBT on the file playback, but I have a feeling it is converting to mp3 because the sound it noticeably worse than playback using the Squeezebox server software.

On the Now Playing screen press on the + top right then more info and there you are, File format on top line.

mysticisgod

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 11:09:14 pm »

On the Now Playing screen press on the + top right then more info and there you are, File format on top line.
Thanks for the info about that... Yes, it is in fact converting to mp3 and no luck trying not.

Am I missing another setting other than "Don't Convert" and set to "PCM 24" under Network Media in tool?

Ian M

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 04:07:50 am »

Thanks for the info about that... Yes, it is in fact converting to mp3 and no luck trying not.

You are probably try to send apple lossless to you SBT. I don't think this can be done over DNLA. Try FLAC, it's working for me. You won't get gapless though.

Am I missing another setting other than "Don't Convert" and set to "PCM 24" under Network Media in tool?

mysticisgod

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 10:26:46 pm »

That's not it, I am using flac files.

JohnT

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 08:58:54 am »

That's not it, I am using flac files.
Did you try following the steps on this wiki page: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DAC_Settings
Look in the section entitled "Recommended Settings (DAC's connected via DLNA over ethernet)"
If your device handles high definition formats, you should be able to play them from Media Center.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

mysticisgod

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 07:27:58 am »

Did you try following the steps on this wiki page: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DAC_Settings
Look in the section entitled "Recommended Settings (DAC's connected via DLNA over ethernet)"
If your device handles high definition formats, you should be able to play them from Media Center.

Thanks for this... I can get the SBT to only play with the Generic DNLA with mode set to original and format set to PCM 16 bit. Anything else and I get an unable to play this file type message on the SBT screen.

I'm glad I've now got it to not convert to mp3 now... Could the issue be that it can't play 24bit files because the SBT is set up over wi-Fi and not Ethernet?

JohnT

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 08:13:01 am »

So with "Mode = Specified output format" did you try both of the 24 bit formats ("PCM L24 No Header", and "PCM 24 bit")?

mysticisgod

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 02:01:22 pm »

So with "Mode = Specified output format" did you try both of the 24 bit formats ("PCM L24 No Header", and "PCM 24 bit")?

Yes... I tried every combination of those 2 pulldown settings and the only setting I got playback from was "Original/PCM 16 bit".

JohnT

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 02:05:48 pm »

There are several threads about using Whitebear to do DLNA to the Squeezebox.  Is that what you are using?

mysticisgod

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 05:01:30 pm »

There are several threads about using Whitebear to do DLNA to the Squeezebox.  Is that what you are using?
I don't know what Whitebear is?... I just installed JRiver on my Mac mini and the Squeezebox showed up as a player.

It's not really a big issue getting it to play correctly to the SBT because mainly I use the SB server software and iPeng to control on my iPad (although I like the JRemote better, which is why I'm looking to see if I can get this working correctly).

Ian M

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 02:38:44 am »

Whitebear doesn't work on a mac.
Pages: [1]   Go Up