INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC19 MAC Doesn't seem to retain music, art, library paths.  (Read 2413 times)

rkhorton

• Junior Woodchuck
MC19 MAC Doesn't seem to retain music, art, library paths.
« on: October 10, 2013, 08:19:15 pm »

Hi, Everyone! I am a very happy JRiver for PC user and an extremely frustrated MC19 for MAC. First off the install process goes just fine (IMac Mountain Lion). Next, since all of my files are on an external hd, I point JRiver to their location on said drive (tools>options>file location) The three folders on the external drive are album art, music, and library backup. I don't use any of the other features in JRiver. I use the program strictly for music playback.

Next I do a library restore (file>library>restore library) If I just attempt to import files nothing happens. When this is done, I shut down the program as directed and restart. When I select albums, the generic album art appears but not the cover art. If I double check the path again for music, cover art, library, JRiver for Mac resets it self back to the default locations as done during the initial install. For some reason JRiver doesn't remember the paths to the file locations on the external hard drive. I have been wondering about the path that is recorded in the tags when music was ripped to the external drive over the years. It indicates an 'E' drive and I know MACs use a different system to identify drives.

I seem to notice that several users have had some type of problem importing their tunes and album art work to the MAC. I was wondering if there was some simple step I am missing as I port my files over to the MAC platform. I have been using JRiver on my PC for years with no problem. I bet there is a simple fix for this.

Would it be to much to ask if a response could be given indicating the menus and paths on the MAC to properly access the files on an external hd? I must be missing a simple step somewhere. I am new to the MAC platform and it has been frustrating attempting to adapt what I know about Windows to the Macintosh. Any step by step help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Richard

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
Re: MC19 MAC Doesn't seem to retain music, art, library paths.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 10:12:11 pm »

A few questions first:

1. How are you mapping the external hard drive from your Mac, and do you have it auto mount upon boot time?
2. How is the external drive connected to your Mac? I am not sure if the path of an externally mapped drive will map properly when moving from a PC version of JRiver to a Mac version of JRiver when doing a library backup on the PC version ( I assume the PC version os MC19 as well) to a Mac version. Maybe some of the other kind folks can answer this one.

Here is something you can try. It involves importing the files into your Mac based MC19 system.

First to manage the cover art:

1. Tools->Options->File Location
2. In the Cover Art section configure the location of your cover art folder and the applicable options.

Next to import the files:

1. Mount the external drive
2. Launch MC19 on your Mac
3. Choose File->Library->Import-> Import a Single Library and click Next.
4. Select the folder your music files are located in, then click finish, this should import all your music files

Let us know how you fair.

Barr

Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 06:42:50 am »

Why are you doing a library restore _after_ importing?

rkhorton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 09:16:00 am »

Good Morning, Jim. Thanks for reading my post.

First I noticed in my PC version of JRiver that the program has an internal location for the main library. I thought I had the PC point at the library backups and main library on the external PC drive. I am guessing that when a restore is done JRiver still points to the internal library folder. It just grabs the files from the external drive and then places them in the internal JRiver folder.

I purchased an iMac just to use your software. It is easy for me to use. I have no other need for other features beyond the audio capabilities and have become fairly adept, at moving about the files and such on the PC and its external drive.

When I bought the MAC I purchased an external 2TB drive on which to store files just like on the PC. The MAC drive is properly formatted and such. Since the MAC can read files (but not write to) from the NTFS formatted PC drive I did a simple copy, using the MAC, of what was on the PC drive. There are only three folders I use (Music, Album Covers, Library).

Now to get closer to your question. After installing JRiver for MC19 for the MAC, I use the options menu to point the program to the relevant folders on the external drive. I then do an import. What I get is a 0 files imported no matter how I do it. So next I did a restore library. It does import files from the external drive, where they are going I don't know. When I click on the album button I get the names of the music folders and the generic cover art place holders. If I try to play an album anyway and error message appears saying the file can't be found.

Here is my guess. The file structure on the PC does not match up with the file structure on the MAC. Even though the point the MAC to the external drive. Next the tags stored in the main library have a path specifically associated with the PC. The MAC can not understand this and although the MC19 MAC is giving it an effort the paths are not making sense. What happens when I do a library restore the paths associated with the files retain their PC settings. JRiver for the MAC will reset the paths based on what is in the main library from the PC. Directing the MAC version to the external drive as done under options would probably work fine if I were ripping files from the MAC version. But the restore option reverts everything back to the PC paths because that is where the libraries were stored.

My guess is that there is something very simple I am doing wrong and just can't catch it. Actually the learning curve on the MAC is very difficult at this time. So, if you have a work-a-round please let me know. Please use the KISS military response if possible.

By the way if I want to purchase a new license for both version 19 for the PC and MAC, do I have to purchase them individually?

Thanks for your patience.
Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up