INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Screen / Video Tearing Solved (Finally)  (Read 3570 times)

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
Screen / Video Tearing Solved (Finally)
« on: October 18, 2013, 07:03:31 pm »

I have been experiencing video tearing for quite some time now.....would show up as a quick horizontal line/glitch across the screen during fast action. I wasn't sure what the issue was even called, much less how to solve it.

Well, it ends up a simple fix, enable Aero in Windows 7. I have been a long time "Classic Windows" setting desktop user. It has something to do with vertical synch / buffering. The only way I could get smooth tear-free video in JRiver was to enable ROHQ, at the cost of about 30% CPU use watching an uncompressed blu-ray. Actually the issue appeared worse watching standard DVD's, which really baffled me. I tried everything under the sun, latest beta drivers, etc. for my Radeon 7750, was already looking to get a different video card.

Now that Aero is enabled, Youtube videos no longer tear, and can now run everything in JRiver with ROS, smoother than ever with minimal CPU use.

I am not sure about Windows 8, other OS's, or Nvidia chip issues with tearing, just hope this helps others that may unknowingly have this issue that can be remedied with a simple desktop preference change, at least in Vista or Win 7.

Absolutely love this software.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Screen / Video Tearing Solved (Finally)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 07:55:22 pm »

Thanks for reporting the solution.  It's odd that Aero helps. 

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Screen / Video Tearing Solved (Finally)
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 08:05:09 pm »

It's odd that Aero helps.
It's not odd at all. Aero (desktop composition) enables hardware acceleration and forces V-Sync on the Windows UI.
I frequently see people on other forums disable Aero because they think it will make their system run faster, only to waste a lot of time trying to figure out why videos suddenly have screen tearing.

I am not sure about Windows 8
Desktop composition cannot be disabled on Windows 8.
Pages: [1]   Go Up