INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows or Mac?  (Read 3085 times)

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.
Windows or Mac?
« on: October 22, 2013, 07:34:10 pm »

I really want to do PCM > DSD128 and I know you're working on it.  I guess my question is more about how you think the Mac version will develop.  My 2009 Mac is a bit old and I'm sure it wouldn't have enough steam for conversion anyway.  So the question becomes do I build a dedicated Windows machine or spend a little more and buy a new Mini.  I really like the Mac stuff b/c it typically just works.  The Windows stuff works most of the time but can be painful.  I'm asking so I don't piss away $1200 either way.  

I'm sure you're aware but what are your thoughts on the Windows Optimization software?  

Any thoughts are appreciated.
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Windows or Mac?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 07:36:39 pm »

I'm sure you're aware but what are your thoughts on the Windows Optimization software?  http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/whos-used-audiophile-optimizer-windows-2012-server-or-windows-8-a-17897/
You should never need to modify Windows to "optimize" sound.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 07:40:11 pm »

You should never need to modify Windows to "optimize" sound.
I agree but what are your thoughts about the feedback?   I know it's typical in the audiophile world but how can reducing system processes be bad?  
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 07:40:53 pm »

I'd pick whatever platform you're most comfortable with.

MC on Windows gets you a few more features (Theater View, video support, etc.) but this will change with time.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 07:46:45 pm »

With regards to optimization scripts:

If you're trying to optimize your system to make it faster by overclocking more, stopping background services / updaters to help boot time, etc. it might be fun and might be worth a few points in a synthetic benchmark (like JRMark!).  But it's also a little like changing air filters on a car -- people debate it endlessly and do it often, but it's small potatoes in the scheme of things (ie. it won't turn a Civic into a Ferrari).

If you're trying to optimize for sound, then you're going down a long, dark rabbit hole.  You might have fun, but it's not the place you'll find JRiver.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 07:50:48 pm »

I agree but what are your thoughts about the feedback?   I know it's typical in the audiophile world but how can reducing system processes be bad? 
Playing audio isn't a heavy load to begin with.  It's like bench pressing 20 pounds for a big young guy.  You don't need to make it any easier.  And you can certainly do some harm.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 07:52:53 pm »

Interesting.  Well, I have no interest to tinker...I want to listen!  If the Mac version becomes as efficient as the Windows version within a year then I'll wait.  I do understand that's a tall order given to time invested on the Windows version.  On top of that, PCM > DSD128 conversion comes within months ( ;D) and will run on my current 2009 Mac Mini with 8GB RAM I'm good.  

I really have no desire to spend more money on a computer that isn't going to offer any sonic advantage.   I promise!

My podcast:

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 07:58:44 pm »

Playing audio isn't a heavy load to begin with.  It's like bench pressing 20 pounds for a big young guy.  You don't need to make it any easier.  And you can certainly do some harm.

That's a great analogy.

I'm playing (and serving to a client) with MC minimized now.  It's using around 0.3% CPU.  That means if my machine can bench press 300 pounds, it's bench pressing just under 1 pound right now.  

Computers are pretty awesome.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 08:04:09 pm »

That's a great analogy.

I'm playing (and serving to a client) with MC minimized now.  It's using around 0.3% CPU.  
Does it actually use less processor if it's minimized? Then again, does it mean anything?

My podcast:

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 08:19:36 pm »

Does it actually use less processor if it's minimized?

Yes.

We use minimizing the program as a clue to unload anything we're not using.  This includes parts of the skin, library, user interface, etc.

And when the program is minimized, it does no drawing and won't be responding to user events like mouse movement.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 08:23:36 pm »

Yes.

We use minimizing the program as a clue to unload anything we're not using.  This includes parts of the skin, library, user interface, etc.

And when the program is minimized, it does no drawing and won't be responding to user events like mouse movement.

WOW.  Didn't know that.  Do you consider this an advantage sonically though? 

FWIW here is my Mini playing a track.

My podcast:

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 08:28:49 pm »

Do you consider this an advantage sonically though?

No.

But it might be useful if you're trying to do something else resource intensive with your computer like 3d gaming, video editing, etc. while playing music.

FWIW here is my Mini playing a track.

Keep in mind that Mac reads 100% x [Number of CPUs] as a maximum.  So a 4 core machine can go to 400% (meaning 1.5% on Mac for a four core machine is roughly equivalent to 0.375% on Windows).

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 08:37:50 pm »

OK, got it. 

My podcast:
Pages: [1]   Go Up