INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Organise Music Folder  (Read 8805 times)

rythmdivine

• Recent member
Auto Organise Music Folder
« on: November 16, 2013, 08:34:23 am »

Hi all,

I am a new JRiver convert and I just bought my copy today. While importing my music folder, I discovered that I could not set automatic folder organisation like I can do in media monkey for example. All my music files are properly tagged. I want to be able to drag a tagged file into the folder being monitored by MC and get it organised automatically into Album Artist\Album\Filename. I know that I can do this manually by using library tools, but is there no way of automating this simple task?

Please I'll appreciate any help urgently.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Auto Organise Music Folder
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 09:12:23 am »

Welcome.  Explore the options for the directories that auto import is watching.  Select a directory and choose edit.

rythmdivine

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 09:45:30 am »

Thanks for your response, JimH. I actually did what you suggested before requesting for help. Selecting directory and choosing edit doesn't give me that option. I can see 'custom', but i honestly have no clue what that does. Any further help will be appreciated.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 11:28:07 am »

MC automatically imports any embedded tags it finds in the files.  It also imports metadata information in MPL files and the special JRSidecar.xml files it makes for video files.

If you want to make it import metadata from directory and filename structure, there are two options:

1. Use the Right-Click > Library Tools > Fill Properties from Filename tool.  This requires you to select the files, but you can do large batches at a time.  This tool is powerful and flexible, but is manual.  It is best suited to get "large groups" of files situated (where once you are done, you are done).

2. If you want to add rules that are applied by folder that happen automatically at import-time, you can use the Tag On Import system.  You can certainly add rules, similar to those in the Fill Properties from Filename tool, automatically parse a strict directory and filename structure.  Details are in the thread linked above.

Keep in mind, that MC itself can organize the files.  Once you get your initial import done, you may find it faster and easier to just import everything into one central "junk" directory (mine is M:\Incoming\) and use the tools in MC to get the files tagged, and then push them to their "final destination" using the Right-Click > Library Tools > Rename, Move, and Copy tool.

MC can handle the meticulous task of organizing the files into those subdirectory structures.  You don't have to do it manually.  The best use for Tag On Import rules is to automatically recognize structures that are pre-defined and automated in an external application that downloads or creates the files.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 02:07:51 pm »

No wonder Glynor is eating steak.  What a great reply!

rjm

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 03:12:43 pm »

One comment to add to Glynor's excellent answer...

The tools are very powerful but it is easy to make a big mess in a heartbeat if you are not careful. Best to select a few files and practice before organizing your entire library with one click.

rythmdivine

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 10:14:12 am »

Hi guys, thanks for your help. Glynor's solution will actually crack it. But the issue is that for somone who is not a power user (someone who just bought MC yesterday), it is a faff around at best. I was under the impression that such a basic task can be accomplished without having to learn 'expression language'. I've got a huge library, and auto-organisation helps a lot. If anyone has got a code that auto-organises music library into 'AlbumArtists\Album\(Disc#)-(track#) Name' when importing music files, I'll be greatful to modify and reuse it. If not, I guess I'll have to make do with using musicbee/mediamonkey to auto organise and then do my listening with MC. Hopefully at some point I'll get the time to learn expression language.

However, don't you guys think that this task is too basic to leave it to expression language? I think the language should be a bonus (and not a criteria) for being able to auto organise your music files while importing them. Or maybe there is something I am missing?

Thanks anyway for your help.

Best!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 12:36:54 pm »

However, don't you guys think that this task is too basic to leave it to expression language?

No.  I think it is weird.

I can see maybe needing to ingest a large legacy library, I suppose (for which the Fill Properties from Filename tool is perfect).  But file metadata should be contained in tags, not encoded (only) in directory structure.  This is a solved problem.  Tags can contain far more flexible metadata than you can possibly hope to encode in a filename structure (lyrics, for example).

I don't understand why you have this odd limitation.  I don't think it is common at all.

I happen to use the Tag On Import rules to parse folder structure in some very limited (and oddball) use-cases.  But not for simple things like Artist, Album, Track #, etc.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

REvandenBerg

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 09:07:38 am »

(Off topic: Glynor seems to have forgotten how it was like when he was a beginner)

iTunes organises like this, and since my music was once organised by iTunes, I wanted the same. I settled with:

Select Music | Files | <select all>
Select Tools | Library Tools | Rename, Move, & Copy files
Fill the window as attached

(The optional "-" between <disc #> and <track #> was sacrified)

REvandenBerg

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 03:26:39 am »

And here for the way iTune organises.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 03:50:31 am »

When you use MC, there should no longer be a need to view your files by directory.

REvandenBerg

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 03:55:58 am »

(Off topic: see my off topic remark for Glynor)

On topic:

1. Allthough I understand that directory| filenames do not matter within MC, I learn little from your expert opinion.
2. iTunes messed up my music directory | filenames by truncating them. I wanted to unwind that.
3. Since MC for Android has to be developed yet, directory | filenames do matter there

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 04:50:23 pm »

iTunes organises like this, and since my music was once organised by iTunes, I wanted the same.

In my case I use iTunes for just that purpose. And only that purpose. I rip and tag my CDs using AccurateRip to ALAC M4A. Then I pull the tracks into iTunes, which auto names the files organises the albums into the proper library sub folders. And MC auto updates itself from watching those folders.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up