INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning Vinyl Records  (Read 3630 times)

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
Cleaning Vinyl Records
« on: March 02, 2002, 03:42:28 pm »

I have heard of a "recipe" for a record cleaning solution of 80% distilled water and 20% Isopropyl Alcohol to remove dirt and oil (like from fingerprints - not that any of MY records have THOSE). Will glasses cleaner work? Works on plastic lenses.

Any other suggestions?

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

zevele1

RE:Cleaning Vinyl Records
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2002, 10:56:55 pm »

Charlemagne8
First,let me try to tell you the exact nature of products
I speak of alcohol.The one you use if you cut you.This alcohol 70% NOT 90%.The one with the same "color" than water NOT the light yellow or pink
You can use only this alcool without water.If you do not feel like to use pur alcool,you can mix with some distilled water with it.But you have to keep a good % of alcool.70% alcool has 30% distilled water in allready.A 50/50 mix will be ok
Use medical cotton to clean,and do not keep the piece you use for more than one lp,even one side if the record very dirty.There is a minus :you may get some fibers on your stylus the first time you play the record.Not big deal.There is special small brushes to clean stylus,and some liquid as well
When you lps is dry,to "brush" it with a special kind of velvet brush is of great help.You have to do it when record 100% dry,if not you brush will get weet and you will have to wait until it is dry
Will come back to you latter for more tips

Here from the notice on the bottle of alcool:70% ethanol
                                            30% purified water
All my brush are from STANTON [USA].I do not know if they are on the web
I know that 'bags unlimited"[USA] has it also

zevele1

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2002, 10:57:00 pm »

Charlemagne8
First,let me try to tell you the exact nature of products
I speak of alcohol.The one you use if you cut you.This alcohol 70% NOT 90%.The one with the same "color" than water NOT the light yellow or pink
You can use only this alcool without water.If you do not feel like to use pur alcool,you can mix with some distilled water with it.But you have to keep a good % of alcool.70% alcool has 30% distilled water in allready.A 50/50 mix will be ok
Use medical cotton to clean,and do not keep the piece you use for more than one lp,even one side if the record very dirty.There is a minus :you may get some fibers on your stylus the first time you play the record.Not big deal.There is special small brushes to clean stylus,and some liquid as well
When you lps is dry,to "brush" it with a special kind of velvet brush is of great help.You have to do it when record 100% dry,if not you brush will get weet and you will have to wait until it is dry
Will come back to you latter for more tips

Here from the notice on the bottle of alcool:70% ethanol
                                            30% purified water
All my brush are from STANTON [USA].I do not know if they are on the web
I know that 'bags unlimited"[USA] has it also

Michael Horton

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2002, 11:02:31 pm »

zevele1

you never cease to amaze . . .

zevele1

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2002, 02:29:53 am »

MHorton
What i said is very well know in records collectors circles

Karolus8
If you want to clean some records,you have to do it a day you feel cool and relax.To do it is just a pain in the a##-and a big one
If you have pets,clean a place,not to have hairs everywhere.Kids around,are of no help
There is other ways
-In Europe and here,some shops have a cleanig lps service.But they charge a lot
-You can get a machine to do it.Nitty Gritty is a very good one.There is 2 minus
If you do not buy second-hand vinyl anymore,or only few,after a while,you will not need it anymore
After cleaning,the sound of your lp is FANTASTIC.But -ALL-the sounds,include  the ones from scratchs from the vinyl,are fantastic

If you have some lps in poor condition,i have a tip of herculean tasks.But with 100% results

listening to Hendrix -band of gypsys  3x180grammes virgin vinyl from analogues master tapes

JollyJim

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2002, 03:34:55 am »

Zevele

Any chance you could tell me why my car is mis-firing !!!

Good luck - Jim

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2002, 04:00:54 am »

JollyJim

Timing
Spark Plug Miss Fireing
Sticking Valve
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

IQ10

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2002, 04:41:16 am »

>Any chance you could tell me why my car is mis-firing !!!

Are you running MJ in your car? Try switching from digital to analog playback.

[former member]

zevele1

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2002, 06:01:42 am »

jollijim
we need more info about your car to try to help you
hammer the top right of your car,you may get many info
cut and weld and post here
email us one of your valve,that we can try to reproduce your problem
in the mean time try to use version Lego,the one without engine,only pedals

listening to Van Morrison -hymns to the silence

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2002, 06:04:53 am »

Zevele 1 through 10,
The recipe I quoted above is from http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/record_care2.html

Are you recommending a higher concentration of alcohol, a different kind of alcohol or both?

So far, that's the only site I've found that has any kind of "How To" instructions. Everybody else just wants to sell me something.

Who is Karolus8? Is Karolus another of Charlemagne's names? I guess I should know but I don't.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

zevele1

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2002, 06:30:58 am »

charlemagne8
For me,Charlemagne is a french emperor,and Karolus is name in latin.But i am not sure about the last one
I do not know what is isopropyl alcohol.So i tell you what we use in France and here,because it as to be a  very close product.Concerning the alcohol i spoke about,yes i will use a stonger mix.A 50% alcohol mix.
Most of the products are no good.In fact they stay in the grooves.I have a good one from STANTON that i use from time to time.Because we have one Nitty Gritty for 4 people.This product is good for dirty records,but it is the same pain in the a## to do it
Beside this,if you want to clean many records,doing it with water/alcohol wil save you quite some money
You have to clean one side and wait until dry before doing the other side

JollyJim

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2002, 06:32:26 am »

Zevele

Nice one old chap - you had me on the floor laughing with your reply. I particularly like the idea of cutting and welding - it could alter the shape of things to come if we could get that working. I've emailed some sparks from the   plug(ins) direct to Tel Aviv so be careful with them.

Van Morrison - have you heard 'In the days before rock 'n roll'? It's a really strange one and I think it maybe only applies correctly to England as it is describing, in part, trying to tune the radio in to continental stations in the 50's. These were great times when Radio Luxemburg was king. Trouble was, it only broadcast on Medium Wave which is famous for fading. So, we would sit in front of the radio with thumb and forefinger constantly on the tuning dial. It always seemed to come back when the dj was rabbiting away and then faded when the music came on !!  Great days...

Jim

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2002, 06:39:59 am »

Here's another site that says DON'T use alcohol.
http://www.vinylium.ch/articles/clean_LP.html

If you have a more reasonable collection, you might be happy with a good hand washing every now and then. To give your records a good hand washing, start by preparing this wash: 1 gallon distilled water 1 gram Alconox (a laboratory detergent) Also, get a natural bristle brush and trim it to the correct stiffness/bristle length so that the bristles can get into the grooves but aren't stiff enough to scratch the record. Some record-cleaning recipies recommend alcohol. However, alcohol will leach plasticizer from vinyl, and eventually degrade LPs. Alcohol will also disolve the shellac of 78s, so should never touch a 78.

Lay the LP flat and pour a thin coat of the above fluid on it. Brush the wash into the grooves with the bristle brush. Brush in the direction of the grooves, going through all grooves. Flush the wash and dirt off with cool, running tap water. Rinse the record with distilled water and pat it dry with a soft, clean cotton cloth.

Also consider using a carbon fiber brush every time you play the LP. It picks up some surface dirt and removes static.

Now I'm confused.

That's right.
I'm cool.

zevele1

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2002, 07:17:02 am »

Charlemagne8
First,a forum about "how to clean lps" is like "which format is best to rip cds" here
About the last link you gave me
The Nitty Gritty machine DO use a kind of solution with some alcohol to work
Many,many,many friends use alcohol/water.With no problem.Of cause it is a "one or two cleanings during your all life",not a twice a year task.And when i use the Nitty Gritty,there is alcohol in the process
Beside this the fact to use tap water is a NO WAY solution.
Have a try on a still easy to find lp,and you will see.If you have not so dirty lps,you even can do it with only water
I have a friend who do that: when he has a lp in very bad condition,he puts solution for cleaning windows.He plays the record still weet and makes a tape.Because,as he says,only the first time you play it  is ok,after the lp is dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I never did it.It is just to show you that it is "a jewish debate"=5 peoples,15 opinions

zevele1

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2002, 07:20:32 am »

jollyjim
Did you got radio luxembourg in states??!!!!!!???!!!!

JollyJim

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2002, 07:36:30 am »

Hi Zevele

No, I'm not in the States. I was born and lived in London until 1981 and I'm now in Peterborough, Camridgeshire which is about 100 miles north of London. I'm not sure if Luxemburg are still broadcasting, I've got an idea that they do but I'm out of range up here. If I remember correctly, you're French aren't you in which case you prob got Lux much better than me. The Van Morrison song talks about Athlone, Hilversum and a few more. I was a kid in the 50's but I can remember 'grown-ups' talking (well, bragging really) about how many of these distant stations they could get. Being fairly innocent of 'adult politics' I could'nt understand what they were on about 'cos even if you could tune into one of these stations, you could'nt understand it anyway 'cos it was in a foreign language. Good fun and good memories.

Jim

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2002, 07:40:07 am »

Zevele10,
I think I know enough to go ahead and make up my own method. There WILL be alcohol involved. Whether it goes ON the records or not is the question.
Have a good day and thank you.
Karolus VIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2002, 07:50:19 am »

That's right.
I'm cool.

zevele1

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2002, 08:29:04 am »

karolus8
Try this:alcohol/water On records,after alcohol with no water,INSIDE ...you

jollyjim
I was in Bordeaux,south of France and the reception was no good ever.And is still no good today if you are in LondonThey still have good music...at night
.In 92 i was in London for 2 years.We had very good times
Last october i was in London all the month

concerning the Van Morrison's song.We had in Europe US army bases and a HUDGE pro-US feeling
Because of it we got R&R,country and so on  before England.This is my opinion,not a fact

Listening to Fairport Convention Babbacombe lee

Michael Horton

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2002, 08:37:50 am »

>>>>>>In 92 i was in London for 2 years.

I've had that experience also. I spent a month in Needles, California one weekend a few years back.

zevele1

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2002, 08:45:49 am »

MHorton
write your last post in french,please.I want to read it!!!!Beside this a man of such quality as you are MUST know that year 92 had close to 700 days.Because they forgot February 29th for many centurys

have a nice sunday lunch

JollyJim

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2002, 08:49:53 am »

'Saturday Night in Toledo, Ohio - I spent a month there one day'......John Denver

Jim

Michael Horton

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2002, 09:01:16 am »

>>>MHorton
>>>write your last post in french

CMagic--where are you?

Apartments - Places Where The Night Is Long

Zevele1

That's a sore spot. I should probably email this reply to you because it's so far off-topic (even by my standards), but I'll make it brief . . .

In 1984 I was a beginning PhD candidate with an emphasis in 19th century European intellectual history (minor emphases in 19th C European diplomatic history and comparative history), but I had to pass foreign language competency exams in German and French during the first year to stay in the program. German was breeze, but I failed the French exam miserably. Twice. Funny, I read that the country singer Johnny Horton started Baylor University as a geology major, but dropped out because he couldn't meet the foreign language requirement, which in his case was . . . .French! When I started back to school a decade later the major for my master's degree was English. But during the first quarter I had to demonstrate mastery of the language, and . . .well . . . maybe I'll try again this spring.

Michael Horton

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2002, 09:07:10 am »

JollyJim

John Denver? Even if I knew that I would never have admitted it . . .

The Church - For A Moment We're Strangers

Next Page

zevele1

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2002, 09:32:08 am »

Mhorton
let me tell you that when speaking and reading,my english is fluent,or allmost |PLS| fluent.To write is an other challenge,and i can say a new one since on this forum
English is easy.German is not.French is...very very difficult.For a start all latin languages have a very complex grammar.But french is complex at all levels
I did history of art,beaux arts and french.But ,unlike you with your studys,"i was a tourist" at university for years

listening to Spooky Tooth 1st album

Michael Horton

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2002, 09:39:26 am »

German was a breeze--but I jump to too many conclusions in that language. I lack the patience necessary to wait for the verb 'till the end of lengthy sentences, and my mind starts making up endings part way through. If I had chosen a major based upon most favored area to study, I would have been an art history major.

JollyJim

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2002, 09:51:31 am »

MHorton
I don't know where you are so I'm not sure if you will have heard of West Ham Football Club. They are one of the London Premiership teams and are totally useless. They never come first and they never come last. They lose against teams of no-hopers and are one of the most frustrating teams of all times. I have been a fan for most of my life. Having that burden to carry with me for the rest of my life makes admitting to knowing John Denver songs, a breeze.

Zevele
re - Creation. I was just on the phone to my brother-in-law (Eddie Phillips) and mentioned your interest in the band. He gave me a website to look at - www.sixtiespop.com where there is an article about them. If you then go to the star interview page, there's quite a long interview with Eddie. He said to say hello to you !!!!

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up