INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Router drives me crazy  (Read 1857 times)

petrossa

• World Citizen
Router drives me crazy
« on: December 04, 2013, 04:10:07 am »

I have a dedicated media server, running windows r2008. On the local network everything works perfectly. However externally i cannot connect. I traced the problem to my router which doesn't forward a port. It's not the common entrance port, i've set that to forward, but there is another port on which Mediacenter listens which needs to be forwarded but that's a random port. Everytime MC restarts it uses another one. So everytime i have to find out which port it's now listening to, add that to my router together with the standard entry port and i can access via internet. which sucks because the stupid router (ISP so can't change) has no delete/edit facility. After some time i have dozens of rules and need to reset to factory. :'(

Is there another way to get this port (and what is it doing and why is it variable) opened?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Router drives me crazy
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 05:37:24 am »

Are you using the Access Key method?  It will automatically adjust when IP addresses change.

I don't think MC switches ports for listening.  Outbound ports may be changing but should not be blocked.

I believe that all ports used are in the range of 52100 to 52199.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 12:54:41 pm »

For using webremote, gizmo, jremote, etc. only 52199 needs to be forwarded. The others are for DLNA.

petrossa

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 01:17:44 pm »

Yes i'm using Gizmo on android with access keys. I can only say what happens, if i only open the port 52199 MC itself says after test it has no internet connection. If i look at the ports being listened to by MC and add an active one to the router which changes every restart it works normally.  :'(

Any suggestions how i can further deduce what goes on? Why suddenly it works if i add that one active open port, but doesn't anymore when i restart and the active port is another one?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 01:29:47 pm »

The "no internet connection" just means that our server tried a test connection from the outside on port 52199 and failed to connect to your MC.
That means:
A) the forward on 52199 from your router to your PC on 52199 isn't working. I'd suggest giving your PC a fixed lease just in case it's address changes with DHCP.
B) your PC is blocking non-lan connections on 52199 (check your various windows firewalls)
C) your ISP is blocking port 52199 (very unlikely).

petrossa

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 11:08:09 am »

phew found it, set DMZ to the server.  ? Go figure

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 01:07:21 pm »

phew found it, set DMZ to the server.  ? Go figure
Not sure you want to do that unless you are REALLY confident of your windows firewall.

petrossa

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 11:17:13 am »

I see no other solution. The stupid router really has the most awful firmware ever seen in the wild. SagemCom Fast3965b Version logicielle B40004-MAIN-8.7.24. What a dragon.  >:( I'll install an extra software firewall and hope for the best. It's anyway only a mediaserver with nothing else on it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up