INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Consolidated Import Rules  (Read 1576 times)

• Citizen of the Universe
Consolidated Import Rules
« on: December 20, 2013, 08:16:38 pm »

Would it be possible to have consolidated import rules?

I have a number of rules for things like:

C:\Videos
D:\Videos
E:\Videos etc.

And the list keeps growing as I add drives to my system. I know there are drive pooling solutions, but I've tried a couple now, and they never really worked out for me.
Would it be possible for Media Center to support: "C:\Videos; D:\Videos; E:\Videos;" and so on for a single rule, so that I only have to make one change rather than three? (actually, it's six, but who's counting?)

Right now I have nine different auto-import rules, and it's more work than it ought to be to make changes.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
Re: Consolidated Import Rules
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 08:43:12 pm »

Would it be possible to have consolidated import rules?
This would be great.

I have suggested in the past adding an 'Import / Export' button.
Like you have the option of using when editing a smartlist or setting rules for file display.

Either way would accomplish the same thing.
I currently use 14 of the same import rules for each of my 6 video drives.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 01:10:35 pm »

I'd definitely prefer NOT to have consolidated Import rules.  Many of my rules are folder-specific, and if I had to wrap them all in If(IsEqual([Filename]... it would be pretty annoying, and it would make them far less readable.

However...

I would really, really like a way to import/export them.  I have 63 Tag On Import rules in my main M:\Recordings\ folder right now, and 23 in my generic M:\Incoming\ folder.  I do occasionally need to copy them from one import folder to another (usually from Recordings to Incoming), and this is pretty tedious right now.

But, for all my other watched folders, it would really screw me up to have a consolidated rules system.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 01:56:24 pm »

I'd definitely prefer NOT to have consolidated Import rules.  Many of my rules are folder-specific, and if I had to wrap them all in If(IsEqual([Filename]... it would be pretty annoying, and it would make them far less readable.
I'm not suggesting that the old system is replaced, I'd just like the ability to have some rules which include more than one folder for easier maintenance/editing.

Rather than six X:\Video rules which are all the same, I'd like to replace them with a single rule using "C:\Video; D:\Video; E:\Video..."
That wouldn't prevent you from setting up individual rules if that's what you wanted.

Another thing I'd still like to see would be to have a rule which includes a folder but not any subfolders.
I'm still manually importing media from some locations because I would have to keep adding new exclusion rules.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 02:05:07 pm »

I'm not suggesting that the old system is replaced, I'd just like the ability to have some rules which include more than one folder for easier maintenance/editing.

Ahh.  Misunderstood.

That would be helpful.  I'd consolidate those two folders I mentioned above, then.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up