INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are the side effacts of Enabling Volume Leveling and runing Audio Analyzer?  (Read 2008 times)

trcns

• World Citizen

I am using HDMI out from my computer which is connected to HDMI in on McIntosh Mx121 processor; I have bit stream option enabled in Audio settings. Internal Volume of JRiver is disabled.

My problem is that some audio tracks are louder than the others, while listening the music, I continuously adjust the volume from track to track. I want to “Enable Volume Leveling” and run audio analyzer.

Question is, will I loose or alter the audio quality on my music in any way or form?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

You would have to disable bitstreaming though as that bypasses all processing MC does, including volume leveling.

trcns

• World Citizen

I enabled the bit streaming, because I did not want computer or computer’s sound card to touch audio files. Though the computer has built-in ATI HD sound card, even than the computer’s cost was $350 and audio processor was for $6000 which is designed for Audio Video only. I don’t believe the computer can outperform the processor. Please correct me if I am wrong. But adjusting volume in annoying.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team

The processor would still do the D/A conversion. The only thing it doesn't do if you disable bitstreaming is decoding compressed formats to uncompressed wave/PCM.

I don't think it matters which part does the decoding, but you'd gain some significant advantages like volume leveling.

The expensive parts of the MX121 will be the pre-amp functionality and D/A conversion stage. (and the McIntosh name/aesthetics)
Your CPU almost certainly has a lot more computational power than anything inside the MX121.

There's no harm in having Media Center decode or process the audio - especially for things like volume leveling.

trcns

• World Citizen

I am in process of creating a playlist; which may take another two months, I also frequently rip new CD’s, using bdPowerAmp, not JRiver. What is the best way to run The Audio Analyzer, so if I create or add new playlist, I should not need to re-run Audio Analyzer? And how to auto calibrate newly added music in JRiver library?

crisnee

• World Citizen

You can have MC run Audio Analyzer automatically on import. Once a file is analyzed it is done. Audio Analyzer will automatically skip it if you try to analyze it again, unless you manually override that function.

-Chris

trcns

• World Citizen

I am trying run "Analyze Audio" on a folder which contains FLAC files, analyzer is asking me to select files. My reason for selecting folder is that when add new files it should analyze them automatically, but I am not having any luck, Please advise the correct way? Replay Gain article is suggesting to "select Audio Mode" I am not sure where is this audio mode and how to select it?

crisnee

• World Citizen

Just select all the files in the folder and then choose Analyse Audio from the Library Tools Menu. Make sure that "skip analyzed files" is checked at the bottom left of the Analyze File window and start analyzing. That's all there's to it. Just make sure you select the files you want to analyze, it can be one or two, or the whole folder.

Chris

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team

I am in process of creating a playlist; which may take another two months, I also frequently rip new CD’s, using bdPowerAmp, not JRiver. What is the best way to run The Audio Analyzer, so if I create or add new playlist, I should not need to re-run Audio Analyzer? And how to auto calibrate newly added music in JRiver library?

You should only have to run the analysis once. If you use MC to rip, you can correct tags, analyze and place the files in the proper folders all in one go.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen

"I am trying run "Analyze Audio" on a folder which contains FLAC files, analyzer is asking me to select files. My reason for selecting folder is that when add new files it should analyze them automatically, but I am not having any luck, Please advise the correct way? Replay Gain article is suggesting to "select Audio Mode" I am not sure where is this audio mode and how to select it?"

If I understand the question correctly, go to Tools>Options>Library & Folders>Auto-Import>....Configure auto-import....

Add folders you want MC to "watch" and select the type of files to watch for. I check all boxes, make sure you check "Analyze audio for audio files". Sometimes it takes some time for this to happen, but usually within a few minutes if you have just added a folder or two to the "watched" folder. It takes longer if you build thumbnails, get cover art, etc. but it will happen.

Also, make sure all files in the folder(s) are not read-only and you have proper permissions otherwise MC cannot tag or otherwise modify them.

If correcting varying playback volume is your main objective I would only run Volume Leveling and not Replay Gain. This will greatly reduce reaching for the volume control between tracks (unless you want to turn it UP!).

Hope this helps.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.
Pages: [1]   Go Up