INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Edward Snowden -- Hero or Traitor?  (Read 2289 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Edward Snowden -- Hero or Traitor?
« on: January 02, 2014, 08:08:13 pm »

Hero, in my opinion.  Very different case from that of Julian Assange.

Clemency has recently been discussed, and the New York Times and the Guardian have editorials in favor:

http://tpr.org/post/newspapers-whistle-blower-snowden-deserves-clemency

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: Edward Snowden -- Hero or Traitor?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 10:05:51 pm »

on one hand hero, on the other no so much.

I don't like the fact that the government can push a button and gain access to our conversations both, digital and voice including internet access.

they say if you have done nothing wrong your ok, but what happens if the government wants to gain access to mine or others lives, political ambitions, etc, and find out we left our dogs outside all night once or other compromising things. yesterday being gay and an atheist was not cool, now days it is in vogue do to the direction the wind is blowing. maybe the fact that I smoked a Joint when I was 18 (believe me It was more than that) and what happens when the wind changes directions again? could I then never get a job due to a mistake I made when I was younger and is now on my surveillance records?

No I don't like the government having that much control no matter who is in office.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 12:15:24 am »

Keeping abuse of power in check is what we all need to avoid the extremes that concerned Orwell:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoughtcrime

There's a legal process in train:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/06/21/194369059/feds-charge-nsa-leaker-with-spying-theft

It will be interesting to see the result of this. Will Snowden be tried in absentia? What if he's found guilty? Also, how will the wheels of democracy, where opinions for and against challenge each other, turn in response?
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 04:46:19 am »

Hero.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 07:10:28 am »

The man put it all on the line to stand up for the US Constitution and make public the violations against us by our own government.
Totally a hero.
. . . the game is rigged

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 01:18:42 pm »

Hero, in my opinion.  Very different case from that of Julian Assange.

+1
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

maintainin

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 05:20:38 pm »

Revealing how much our government has been spying on us doesn't make him a traitor IMO. Moving on since to reveal our countries activities abroad does. I think he's a narcissist. He's not the kind of "patriot" look up to.

gappie

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 05:41:07 pm »

Revealing how much our government has been spying on us doesn't make him a traitor IMO. Moving on since to reveal our countries activities abroad does. I think he's a narcissist. He's not the kind of "patriot" look up to.
:) revealing your countries activities abroad... hmm like your allies, from farmer till prime minister? ah well. I think snowden is a hero.. in many ways.. and if 'your' president would only be half the man he pretends to be, he would just recognise that to(I actually think He does already).

:)
gab

maintainin

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 05:46:22 pm »

Yep, even our allies. It's pretty naive to think that "allies" don't do that to each other.

gappie

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 06:04:29 pm »

Yep, even our allies. It's pretty naive to think that "allies" don't do that to each other.
of course they would like to know some things, but not at such a high cost, as if you guys have nothing better to do with your tax money.. as they say here: with  friends like these, who needs enemies.

:)
gab

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 06:04:08 am »

Snowden recently called his actions a success. He said in an early interview that the biggest thing he fears is that nothing changes.

I'm not sure how he measures his success because after reading the reforms Obama revealed its not going to change much if you read between the lines. No word about the backdoors in encryption techniques, the fibretaps on large datacenters and access to servers of some of the worlds largest companies.

On a global scale I see only an increase in generic (untargeted, catch-all approach) gathering of data on civilians.

If anything is changing its in the wrong direction.

Bizarroterl

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 10:26:41 am »

He saw something that was bad for his country and did what he could to set it right (at great personal risk).  Isn't that by definition a patriot?
Pages: [1]   Go Up