INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A couple of feature questions  (Read 1025 times)

ehart

A couple of feature questions
« on: January 11, 2014, 09:47:38 pm »

Hi,

I am looking to start "streaming" music from my PC to my blue-ray player, to a PC outside my network, to my Android device, and possibly to one or more devices (Roku style, but not necessarily Roku brand).  I have a lifetime Media Monkey license, and started with it for this project.  There are, however, two things I can't seem to do with it.  I want to know if MC can do these things:

1. Stream to a client on the outside world.  MM is supposed to be able to do this, but I haven't been able to get it working, despite work on port mapping and the like.  Here's what I want -- to sit at my work PC and stream music from my home machine.  Can MC handle this WITHOUT any firewall changes?  Similar to what Plex supposedly does with MyPlex?  What PC client would I use in this case?

2. Stream a radio feed to a DLNA client.  This is not a feature MM has.  In particular, I want to be able to stream this to my DLNA-enabled blue-ray player: http://vpr.streamguys.net/vpr96.mp3.  Can MC do this?

I'd love to hear from anyone who has switched from Media Monkey.  I've used it mainly to rip, organize, store, and play my music files (mainly in FLAC format), and it has been great for that.  But the need to get music anywhere and everywhere has me considering other options.

Thanks,

Eric Hart

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Cheers
Re: A couple of feature questions
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 09:52:11 pm »

J River is capable of doing what you desire as far as streaming goes but I can't speculate on the firewall/router aspect since I do know the specifics of your setup.
There is a 30 day trial available download it and if you need assistance with anything just create a post detailing the specifics.
Sean

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 10:16:37 pm »

In regards to the Live Radio Feed - I just testing by adding it to MC, then I could play it back on Gizmo (the MC Andriod Client App) just fine.... but there are some limitations as MC just forwards the URL to the client, so it is up to the client on how to play this back.  Now in my quick test, it oddly did not play in MC itself (I just got a series of beeps) but was fine in Gizmo.  If you do go ahead with a test of MC, I can give you some instructions on how to set these feeds up as it is not intuitive at this stage.
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

connersw

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 03:55:03 pm »

1. MC can do this no problem. Without any firewall changes though; doubtful.  How would you access the server (ie your home PC)?  If you just mean accessing your home PC without any changes to your work firewall, yes, it can.  There are two options regarding the client.  The first is installing another copy of MC on your work PC (no additional cost/license required).  This setup though will more than likely require firewall changes on your work PC.  The other option is to stream via WebGizmo (http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WebGizmo) in which case the client is any internet browser.  I have done this in the past on locked down tight work PCs and networks without any issue.

2. See jmone's response.

In regards to MM vs MC, the only advantage MM has over MC is the way that it handles Windows file structure.  The argument is that all media is meant to be accessed through MC, not through Windows Explorer.  MC will not automatically update the file path when files are dropped into monitored import folders the way MM does.  It only writes file paths from tags when media is ripped.  In my opinion, this is getting to be a major oversight since downloaded media is surpassing ripped media.  Also, changing file path/folder names within MC can sometimes be difficult since it will leave behind the old folder and extra files if they are not imported and tagged correctly.  See:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=85295.0

That being said, the power, features, customization, and quality of MC far outweigh this one issue.  I went back and forth between the two programs a few years back.  I have stuck with MC recently for the many advantages it has over MM. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up