INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Live/Recorded TV drops/repeats frames in fullscreen exclusive, not in windowed  (Read 3115 times)

IndianaGeorge

• Recent member

My MKVs, both SD and HD, play nicely (amazing actually ;D) at higher end ROHQ settings including videoclock and smooth video but drop frames every now and then unless I enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode, which is what I would expect.  However, watching live TV or even a TV recording drops or repeats multiple frames per second in fullscreen exclusive mode, even at minimum ROHQ settings, but works great in windowed mode, which is not what I would expect.  My problem is that one setting will not produce satisfactory performance for TV/Shows and Movies.  Is there something I can add to a filename, similar to [deint=film], to enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode?  That way I can have the default setting be windowed mode and only enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode for my MKVs.  I am using an AMD A10-5800K APU and it has exceeded my expectations, as has MC :)

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe

I suppose you could set up a special zone for fullscreen exclusive and use the "Zone switch" system to switch to it based on the MKV file type.

Any better ideas out there?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

I'd be trying to find a setting that works will most content (hard I know) - How do you go with "Fullscreen overlay mode"?  I like this is it seems to be robust (and not drop frames) yet does not have the annoying black screen that Exclusive Mode gets when it switches into and out of that mode.
JRiver CEO Elect

IndianaGeorge

• Recent member

I suppose you could set up a special zone for fullscreen exclusive and use the "Zone switch" system to switch to it based on the MKV file type.

Any better ideas out there?
Is there a detailed guide for video zones with examples?  I thought zones might be a possible way to do this, but I could not find anything describing having 2 or more zones for the same physical hardware.  Zones look interesting though, so if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it :)

IndianaGeorge

• Recent member

I'd be trying to find a setting that works will most content (hard I know) - How do you go with "Fullscreen overlay mode"?  I like this is it seems to be robust (and not drop frames) yet does not have the annoying black screen that Exclusive Mode gets when it switches into and out of that mode.
Believe me, I've been trying, but TV only works in window mode and MKVs drop frames unless they are in fullscreen exclusive mode :(  Fullscreen overlay does not work with AMD from what I've found... I tried it and got a red message stating that my GPU does not support this mode.

MadVR settings->user interface->keyboard shortcuts lists actions for automatic fullscreen exclusive mode, so I would think there must be a tag/command that can be put in the filename similar to [deint=film].  The only way I even know of [deint=film] is from the madVR guide.  I was hoping there was a full list of these tricks :D

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

What frame rates are the MKV's Vs the TV Recordings and do you use MC's
- Video Clock (Tools --> Options --> Video --> General Video Settings)
- Automatic Display Rate Changer (Tools --> Options --> Video --> Display Settings)
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Also try toggling On/Off Hardware acceleration under Tools--> Options--> Video--> General Video Settings

I take it you have no issues with RO Standard, just ROHQ?
JRiver CEO Elect

IndianaGeorge

• Recent member

What frame rates are the MKV's Vs the TV Recordings and do you use MC's
- Video Clock (Tools --> Options --> Video --> General Video Settings)
- Automatic Display Rate Changer (Tools --> Options --> Video --> Display Settings)
MKVs are made with MakeMKV from BDs and DVDs, all movies, so they should all be 23.976 FPS.  However, using the ctrl-j info, BDs show movie frame interval =41.71 mS (what I would expect), but DVDs show movie frame interval =33.37 mS even though IVTC is being used and smooth motion=on.  The ctrl-j info for DVDs is confusing but the resulting display appears absolutely correct, i.e., smooth motion from 23.976 FPS.

I am using Video Clock and Smooth Motion, but Automatic Display Rate Changer (ADRC) is currently disabled.  The monitor that I am using during testing currently is set to 1080p59 and cannot do 1080p23, but I will ultimately use this HTPC with my projector which can do 1080p23 so I plan to use ADRC in the future.

Also try toggling On/Off Hardware acceleration under Tools--> Options--> Video--> General Video Settings

I take it you have no issues with RO Standard, just ROHQ?
Toggling "Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible" does not seem to help.  The really weird part is that the total processing time for "deinterlace/rendering/present" is under 12 mS and even the max stats total less than 14.5 mS.

RO Standard might work but I can't find the ctrl-j equivalent diagnosis display.  Also, the primary reason I want to use MC is because of ROHQ (madVR) display mode.  I have been reading up on ZoneSwitch as per JohnT's suggestion, and it looks promising, but I haven't tried it out yet.

IndianaGeorge

• Recent member

I have been reading up on ZoneSwitch as per JohnT's suggestion, and it looks promising, but I haven't tried it out yet.
I just finished playing with Zones, which was surprisingly easy.  Unfortunately, madVR settings seem to be independent of Zones :(  I did not try ZoneSwitch since manually switching did not work.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

OK - so I'm "guessing" but your rig is struggling with Deinterlacing the TV stuff and is fine on the progressive content which is not that unusual for IGP.  You may need to think about a dedicated GPU.

At present we don't have programmatic control of madVR from MC (which would give more control) so it is one setting for all but this is something that Hendrik was planning to discuss with madshi. 
JRiver CEO Elect

IndianaGeorge

• Recent member

OK - so I'm "guessing" but your rig is struggling with Deinterlacing the TV stuff and is fine on the progressive content which is not that unusual for IGP.  You may need to think about a dedicated GPU.
This does not accurately represent the circumstances.  I can run madVR settings at fairly high rates for both progressive and interlaced (TV) content.  The important detail is that I need to run in Fullscreen Exclusive Mode for progressive content and Fullscreen Windowed Mode for TV content.  My AMD APU is actually quite capable when using the optimum Fullscreen mode for progressive or TV.  It is only when I use Fullscreen Exclusive Mode with TV content that my "rig is struggling".  This still strikes me as odd since Fullscreen Exclusive Mode is dramatically better with progressive content ?

At present we don't have programmatic control of madVR from MC (which would give more control) so it is one setting for all but this is something that Hendrik was planning to discuss with madshi. 
OK, so it seems that the results of my experiment in using Zones was correct :(  Perhaps Hendrik could also get a list of filename tags from Madshi and post them on this forum in a sticky?

I really appreciate your help :)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Have you had a look at CPU and GPU utilisation when playing content to see if it is maxing out?  I'm not sure what you would use for the GPU part (I use nvidia inspector for my GPU).

One Q I have not asked is regardless of madVR reporting dropped frames do you actually see any? 

Edit - It may be also worth posting a screen shot of the madVR stats - how do the queues look?
JRiver CEO Elect

IndianaGeorge

• Recent member

Have you had a look at CPU and GPU utilisation when playing content to see if it is maxing out?  I'm not sure what you would use for the GPU part (I use nvidia inspector for my GPU).
I have looked at the CPU usage a few times, but it was never anything to be concerned about, maybe 10-30%.  I will have to figure out what to use for the GPU.  I am thinking it is GPU limited, so I just go by if it drops frames, then I am asking too much ;)

One Q I have not asked is regardless of madVR reporting dropped frames do you actually see any?
If it is 1 dropped frame every 5-10 minutes, then sure, most will go unnoticed, but this is my hobby and I seek perfection :)  What is the point of Video Clock and Smooth Motion if you have frame drops ?

Edit - It may be also worth posting a screen shot of the madVR stats - how do the queues look?
Good suggestion :D  The presentation queue was going to 0.  After messing around and recalling seeing someone mention that he could not go below 5 with the GPU queue in a topic on AMD APUs w/MC, I made all the queues equal to 6 and it now works :P  I can run Automatic Fullscreen Exclusive Mode for everything with Spline 4 taps with Anti-Ring Filter for both Chroma and Upscaling.  A slight disappoint since I could run Jinc 4 tap w/ARF with each optimized before, but at least now I have one setting that will run both.

Thanks again for your help! :)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

From what I've read in madshi's posts he does not recommend going above 3-Taps and the additional taps really push the GPU.
JRiver CEO Elect

IndianaGeorge

• Recent member

I just saw that madVR now has a profile feature that would allow optimum settings based on the media file's resolution, interlacing, etc.

I wonder when MC will integrate the latest madVR version?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

I just saw that madVR now has a profile feature that would allow optimum settings based on the media file's resolution, interlacing, etc.

I wonder when MC will integrate the latest madVR version?
We always use what we believe is the most stable version of madVR. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up