INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GPU recommendation for ROHQ  (Read 8447 times)

BrandonT

• Recent member
GPU recommendation for ROHQ
« on: January 17, 2014, 03:22:41 pm »

Will any of the current integrated GPU/CPU's run ROHQ? Looking to build a new htpc and update to the newest J River and was hoping I wouldn't need to get a separate videocard since I want to keep the fans down to a single one on the cpu. I'd only be watching DVD and Bluray>mkv rips.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: GPU recommendation for ROHQ
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 03:32:52 pm »

Borderline with some, but probably not.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 03:35:40 pm »

I think the I7's with the 4000 video work with ROHQ.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 03:47:14 pm »

The new AMD Kaveris are supposed to have a superior graphics engine to that of the Intel crop.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 03:48:37 pm »

Will any of the current integrated GPU/CPU's run ROHQ? Looking to build a new htpc and update to the newest J River and was hoping I wouldn't need to get a separate videocard since I want to keep the fans down to a single one on the cpu. I'd only be watching DVD and Bluray>mkv rips.

It depends on what kind of scaling settings you plan to use.  The newer haswell integrated graphics (4600 and above) can run many of the lower-end scaling algorithms without difficulty, but have a hard time on the higher tap-based scalers, especially on interlaced content.  If you want to use the best scaling (Jinc) you need a discrete card, an nvidia 660 or equivalent.

Check out these threads for some people's experiences with the 4600:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86538.msg591735#msg591735

The take away: with a HD 4600 he could use one of the nicer scalers (lanczos) with some content, but not with others.  Some folks do run ROHQ with the older integrated graphics (HD4000), but it limits your options.

BrandonT

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 03:57:37 pm »

I'm just getting my feet wet with what ROHQ is doing, but my intent would be to run at or near the highest level processing. SD DVD>1080P scaling. I assume native 1080P in the bluray mkv's will not be a problem. No desire for 4k at the moment.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 04:54:33 pm »

I'm just getting my feet wet with what ROHQ is doing, but my intent would be to run at or near the highest level processing. SD DVD>1080P scaling. I assume native 1080P in the bluray mkv's will not be a problem. No desire for 4k at the moment.

My understanding is that Chroma upscaling still needs to happen even with Blurays as the Chroma information is stored at 1/4 size.  

The scaling algorithm used can make a big difference in what kind of video card is required.  If you want to use the highest quality scaling algorithms (i.e. Jinc), there is no integrated graphics solution that I'm aware of that will work.  

It might be worth testing your new rig with the integrated graphics first and see if you like what you can get out of it or not.  Some of the "lower quality" scaling algorithms still look pretty darn good.

Also, you might want to have a look at this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1477339/so-youve-built-your-htpc-now-what-is-next-how-to-get-the-ultimate-picture-and-sound-quality-from-your-htpc-madvr-svp-xbmc-mediabrowser-jriver/60#post_23512510

It shows that the HD 4600 integrated graphics can run some pretty good settings (but not the best settings) for film, but has a much harder time with video, which is to be expected.

rec head

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 06:26:11 pm »

I'm running an i3 with HD3000 and ROHQ at it's base settings. It runs BD and DVD MKVs just fine. Everything looks really good. I have started playing around with higher settings but video gets choppy. DVD upscaling is where I would like better performance but I don't know if it is worth a new video card.

BrandonT

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 06:34:40 pm »

It might be worth testing your new rig with the integrated graphics first and see if you like what you can get out of it or not.

Thing is, the decision for what brand cpu to go with in the first place kind of hinges on knowing if it can satisfy my needs. If Kaveri (or Richland) can do it, then I'm leaning towards that. But if they can't I'd probably go with Haswell and a AMD card.

BrandonT

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 06:37:31 pm »

Thing is, the decision for what brand cpu to go with in the first place kind of hinges on knowing if it can satisfy my needs. If Kaveri (or Richland) can do it, then I'm leaning towards that. But if they can't I'd probably go with Haswell and a AMD card.

And just so I understand, all this really only needed if I upscale DVD? If I just want to play DVD as is (standard def), and bluray as is (HD), than it any chip should be fine? Or are there other video processing that ROHQ must do that would require a lot GPU horsepower?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 06:44:23 pm »

And just so I understand, all this really only needed if I upscale DVD? If I just want to play DVD as is (standard def), and bluray as is (HD), than it any chip should be fine? Or are there other video processing that ROHQ must do that would require a lot GPU horsepower?

You still need to do Chroma upscaling no matter what, as I understand it, so some horsepower is necessary even if you're playing DVDs or Blurays at their native definition.  How much you need depends on what scaling algorithm you choose for Chroma.

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 02:49:55 am »

I want to keep the fans down to a single one on the cpu.
Actually, it's often quieter to have two separate low noise fans than one fan which has to work harder - especially as you are splitting the heat between two separate parts rather than making one part (the CPU) run hotter.

The new AMD Kaveris are supposed to have a superior graphics engine to that of the Intel crop.
Yes, but CPU performance and power consumption is quite a bit worse.
It may work out to be a better balance for ROHQ though.

My understanding is that Chroma upscaling still needs to happen even with Blurays as the Chroma information is stored at 1/4 size. 
Yes, chroma upscaling is required, though it's not too demanding, as it's always scaled 2x and Madshi has optimized for that.

I would not recommend that - most displays do not have very high quality scaling at all. (which is why you would want to do it on the HTPC)

madVR (ROHQ) is going to get a debanding feature in the next release which will considerably improve lower quality sources, but requires more GPU power.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 05:13:35 am »

I ran the high setting on this image with HD4000 (i5 3570) and later on a Nvidia GT430. Both worked fine as long as you don't try to deinterlace anything. All progressive material plays fine with no framedrops.

BrandonT

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 03:50:37 pm »

DVD's are normally interlaced correct?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 05:54:53 pm »

JRiver CEO Elect

racefacexc

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 09:50:30 pm »

I have been on the AVSForum trying to figure out why I am having some smooth video issues and what looks like interlacing around the edges of objects in motion on the screen.  Seems the higher the contrast of colors/faster the movement the more i see of the horizontally chopped up part of the video.  it also seems to only happen on live tv and not on every channel/show.  tried to get a screen capture vid clip but the software did not do a very good job. I bring this up here because I am currently using an HTPC with AMD A10-6800K (w/ the on CPU Radeon HD 8670D) and until now have had no one say anything about the hardware might be the limiting factor for my video issues.

ASRock FM2A85X Extreme 6
AMD A10-6800K (w/ the on CPU Radeon HD 8670D)
8 GB G.Skill DDR2100
Kingston SSD for OS (Windows 7)
WD Black 2TB for media

Do I need to get a dedicated GPU to expect smooth, high quality playback for all types of media?  live TV seems to be the worst right now.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 01:57:12 am »

DVD's are normally interlaced correct?

Yes, but there are several options if your GPU isn't fast enough to deinterlace with MadVR. You can play it interlaced, some TV's do an acceptable job on their own. You can also rip them to mkv and deinterlace/decomb in the process.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 01:58:54 am »

I have been on the AVSForum trying to figure out why I am having some smooth video issues and what looks like interlacing around the edges of objects in motion on the screen.  Seems the higher the contrast of colors/faster the movement the more i see of the horizontally chopped up part of the video.  it also seems to only happen on live tv and not on every channel/show.  tried to get a screen capture vid clip but the software did not do a very good job. I bring this up here because I am currently using an HTPC with AMD A10-6800K (w/ the on CPU Radeon HD 8670D) and until now have had no one say anything about the hardware might be the limiting factor for my video issues.

ASRock FM2A85X Extreme 6
AMD A10-6800K (w/ the on CPU Radeon HD 8670D)
8 GB G.Skill DDR2100
Kingston SSD for OS (Windows 7)
WD Black 2TB for media

Do I need to get a dedicated GPU to expect smooth, high quality playback for all types of media?  live TV seems to be the worst right now.

Assuming you're using MediaCenter 18 or 19, I think its best if you make your own thread. Or maybe an Admin can do a split :P.

racefacexc

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 02:00:39 pm »

Yeah, I am using 19.  I'll make a new thread.  Copy/paste is easy enough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up