INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows JRiver remote  (Read 6083 times)

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
Windows JRiver remote
« on: January 22, 2014, 12:13:49 pm »

Hi:
I am sorry for the inconvenience, but I can't solve a problem.
I have MC19 running on two PCs with the files on a Sinology Diskstation, connected to my router and being part of my home network.
Everything works fine (I have learned quite a lot on the last two years), but I can't control remotely any of my PCs.
This means that, to listening to music (the only facility I use on MC), I have to be in front of one computer, seeing the albums images, selecting one, and sending a play, or stop, etc. to my DAC and phones or amplifier.
I would like to do this remotely, from a tablet or smartphone where, once made the connections I will have access to the same information displayed on the PC.
I am an Windows fan and I was thinking to buy a Microsoft Surface, not the pro, since it will work almost only for this function.
Could someone help me guiding on a step by step basis to achieve my purpose, including what I have to buy, how to install and how to  setup?
I will be very grateful if I could achieve this very important for me purpose.

Kind regards

Kind regards

Joao

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Windows JRiver remote
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 12:20:09 pm »

The wiki has a topic on remotes that explains your options.

I would recommend any Android tablet instead of a Surface.  You'd then use Gizmo.

JRemote works on an iPad or iPhone.  It's on the Third Party board here.

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 12:42:02 pm »

Thanks, Jim.
Where do I get Gizmo? Can I see on the Android Tablet the same information that I have on each computer where I have MC installed and access it? vg, to see and control my albums?
Can you recommend any Android Tablet that will serve mainly as a remote?
Thanks again.
Joao

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 01:22:18 pm »

The Gizmo page on the wiki may help.  Gizmo is installed from the Play Store (Android).

I like the Samsung tablets, but any tablet from a reputable manufacturer should work.

csimon

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 03:26:06 pm »

Can I see on the Android Tablet the same information that I have on each computer where I have MC installed and access it? vg, to see and control my albums?

With an Android or iOS remote app, you are not getting the full MC interface but one that is designed for browsing and playing your media, rather like MC's Theater View. So it depends what you mean when you ask "Can I see the same information..." because you will definitely not see all the information that you can see in MC Standard View, but you will see enough to be able to browse and play and control playback of your albums. It will be like the music player that is provided on any smartphone or tablet.

If you get a tablet, you need to know that you will need to set up all the views for it separately, in Tools/Options/Media Network/Customise Views for Gizmo, in the same way that Theater View has its own set of views. There will be default views set up already but you might have customised the way you browse your albums in Standard View and Theater View to your own preference.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 03:59:09 pm »

I like the Samsung tablets, but any tablet from a reputable manufacturer should work.

Does video playback (local) work on the current Samsung tablets?

If I was going to buy an Android tablet, the only one I'd seriously consider is the Nexus 7.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 04:04:20 pm »

It works on some Samsung devices and not others.  We're still trying to understand why.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 04:06:04 pm »

It works on some Samsung devices and not others.  We're still trying to understand why.

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure if I missed something.  Is there any going list of which ones it works with and which ones it doesn't?  I'm pretty sure Nathan found at least one non-Samsung device where it was broken too.

Ain't software fragmentation awesome?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 02:22:38 pm »

Why a Microsoft surface (RT), now so cheap, doesn't work as a remote, since my computers are Microsoft and my JRiver MC is the Windows version? What will be necessary to have it acting as a remote?
I don't understand.
Please give me a reason why shall I buy an Android or Mac tablet.

csimon

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 02:34:25 pm »

The reason is that there is no MC Windows RT app.  Windows RT is a completely different operating system from the desktop version.

If you have a Surface Pro (i.e. the full version of Windows) you can install a complete copy of MC on the tablet and remotely control another installation of MC, via the interface you are already familiar with, i.e. Standard View or Theater View.  If you want to remotely control another installation you have to set up the PC to be controlled as a Library Server and connect to it from the client version, but Standard View and Theater View may not be as easy to use on a touch device. See http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Tremote for a description of how to set this up.

csimon

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 02:45:59 pm »

MC also has something called WebGizmo built-in which is a web- based remote control. I assume that Windows RT has a web browser so you could actually use that. You can try it out right now in a browser on one of your PCs, have a look in the Wiki for instructions. It is quite a primitive interface when compared with a native app but see if you can get on with it and that might give you a solution if you really want to use Windows RT.

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 02:51:48 pm »

Thank you very much for a so clear and instructive explanation, csimon. Now I understand and can make a informed decision.
Kind regards

Joao

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 04:57:14 pm »

If you get a tablet, you need to know that you will need to set up all the views for it separately, in Tools/Options/Media Network/Customise Views for Gizmo, in the same way that Theater View has its own set of views. There will be default views set up already but you might have customised the way you browse your albums in Standard View and Theater View to your own preference.

Thanks for the word up csimon.

Personally, I wasn't aware that Gizmo could be customised.

Being a big Wiki fan, I went for a look to see if I'd missed something:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Gizmo
... and ... I haven't.

Another job to add to the list of Wiki updates.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 03:27:57 am »

You can use android apps with surface pro. Use the android emulator
It works well

Www.bluestacks.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up