INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cant Leave Full Screen!  (Read 3211 times)

Johnny Stork

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Johnny Stork
Cant Leave Full Screen!
« on: January 26, 2014, 01:22:51 pm »

This is an issue I have been experiencing since the earliest versions of the Linux release. Running on either Linux Mint or Ubuntu (latest), once I go full screen its stuck there - although top right corner shows a minimize, full-screen and "X" close window button, only the minimize and close work. Sometimes even the "X" close button is gone and all that works is minimize.

If I un-install and re-install, it works for a while but eventually, without warning, will only run full screen again.

Sure would be nice to see some stability in the Linux version after so much time.

Any suggestions on resolving this inability to run MC in a window?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Cant Leave Full Screen!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 01:29:04 pm »

Have you tried Debian?

Johnny Stork

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Johnny Stork
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 01:42:53 pm »

Thanks. But I dont recall asking about suggestions for another distro. When the wind-shield wipers in your car dont work, do you go out and buy a new car? :)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 01:48:48 pm »

If the car was free, I might try it.

Debian is what MC is developed on.  Anything else at this point is experimental.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 11:34:14 am »

You could try a different skin.
I don't seem to have trouble with this on my ubuntu 13.10 x64 test box however we don't have a lot of time to test on these other distros extensively.

Johnny Stork

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Johnny Stork
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 07:41:07 pm »

Thanks kindly. Have tried that many times (different skin) no diff. :)

maeschba

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 06:27:05 am »

This is an issue I have been experiencing since the earliest versions of the Linux release. Running on either Linux Mint or Ubuntu (latest), once I go full screen its stuck there - although top right corner shows a minimize, full-screen and "X" close window button, only the minimize and close work. Sometimes even the "X" close button is gone and all that works is minimize.

I had exactly the same problem on Debian Wheezy. The maximize button stays maximize with a maximized window.

Deleting "User Settings.ini" helped. I mad a backup of the old, faulty "User Settings.ini" if someone would like it for debugging purposes. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 07:12:06 am »

Thanks.  You could mail it to bob at jriver, with a link to your post.

maeschba

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 08:58:07 am »

Thanks.  You could mail it to bob at jriver, with a link to your post.

Oops. I moved (instead of copied) the old file to a new .ini file before I removed it  >:( It's gone. I can't send it anymore but will try to make a new copy if I can reproduce the error. Sorry  :-[

maeschba

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 09:06:18 am »

It didn't take much time to reproduce the error. The problem starts with switching to "Display View". Will send the config file now.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 07:57:45 pm »

The toggle is right, some window managers are not interpreting it properly.
When it's in the state when you can figure out when it's not maximized (by toggling maximized state and trying to drag a corner) you can then shrink it by dragging a corner.
This is easier to do than it is to explain.
You should also be able to use the resize function on the MediaCenter 19  tab on the toolbar (if you have one).

maeschba

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 10:56:12 am »

The toggle is right, some window managers are not interpreting it properly.
When it's in the state when you can figure out when it's not maximized (by toggling maximized state and trying to drag a corner) you can then shrink it by dragging a corner.
This is easier to do than it is to explain.
You should also be able to use the resize function on the MediaCenter 19  tab on the toolbar (if you have one).

My Window Manager is GNOME, Debians default WM and I don't have a MediaCenter 19 tab (cf. 'Unknown' in the attachment, which has only Quit as Menu Item). Is it possible to create custom application menu items? Or would it be possible to have a 'Reset' or 'Resize' function in the application menu (under View or Tools->Options)? I will try your work-around the next time my display gets locked in maximized state.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 09:30:36 am »

My Window Manager is GNOME, Debians default WM and I don't have a MediaCenter 19 tab (cf. 'Unknown' in the attachment, which has only Quit as Menu Item). Is it possible to create custom application menu items? Or would it be possible to have a 'Reset' or 'Resize' function in the application menu (under View or Tools->Options)? I will try your work-around the next time my display gets locked in maximized state.

Do you get the system menu options for move, resize, etc when you right click on the "unknown" MC icon?

maeschba

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 02:00:31 am »

Right-click and Left-click give both access to the same, single 'Quit' menu item (MC 19.0.129-3).
Pages: [1]   Go Up