INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD output challenges to Marantz 8801  (Read 1784 times)

DHF

• Junior Woodchuck
DSD output challenges to Marantz 8801
« on: February 01, 2014, 04:01:47 pm »

I have been attempting to play DSF files through HDMI WASAPI to my Marantz 8801.  I have had no luck getting the Marantz to recognize the files as DSD.  PCM of course, works fine.

First, I know the Marantz has a DSD DAC as it can take SACDs from an Oppo player over HDMI and play them. 

When I bitstream the files (DSF) as DSD, no output encoding, all seems well in J River. Input is DoP 2.8 MHz, output is DoP 2.8 MHz 1 bit.  Marantz just sits there doesn't play anything.  Thinks it is a PCM signal but doesn't play anything.  Shows signal as PCM, 176.4 kHZ.

I get similar results using output encoding.

I know I am missing something here, but not sure what I am missing.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
Re: DSD output challenges to Marantz 8801
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 12:03:33 pm »

Welcome to the frustrating part of hdmi and its implementation by the 3 big ones (intel-nvidia-amd). The marantz doesn't read dop (which is a dsd file with a pcm header) that's why you hear nothing. Now re dsd bitstreaming most receivers are able to receive it through hdmi but no computer sends dsd per hdmi out. The limitation is as far as i know the hdmi audio driver be it intel , nvidia or amd.
Also remember that for drm reasons, pc's were not supposed to be able to play sacd in the first place or even worse to hold dsd files, as sacd copying was not possible (love my old ps3...he...he) and dsd files were not downloadable.

Finally from what i can see in the gpu forums we audio enthusiast are a minority and they don't give a darn to maybe change their hdmi audio driver to pass dsd bitstreaming through hdmi.

There are certainly also cost licence reasons why this is still not implemented...

So no you aren't missing something it's just not possible. In this specific case, you could see if marantz in a firmware upgrade adds dsd over dop....and as i just swapped my denon for the 8801 i would also be pleased

DHF

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 07:40:30 pm »

That is what I feared.  FWIW, my dealer, who sold a bunch of the 8801s, has referred my e mail to DM engineers. I am hoping perhaps just a FW upgrade.  Don't want to have to wait for the 8802, or 8803.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 07:45:42 pm »

Please use "JRiver", not "J River".  It works better for searches.

You might ask your dealer to tell the DMH engineers that we can help.  We talk a little to other people in the company.
Pages: [1]   Go Up