INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bit rate on classical music  (Read 1506 times)

robmuggleton

Bit rate on classical music
« on: February 04, 2014, 05:34:37 am »

I'm using Exact Audio Copy to digitise my CD's using FLAC. I've set the FLAC encoder's rate to its maximum (1024 kbps) and some jazz and rock albums run about that rate according to JRiver. However, a lot of classical albums run at about 350-550 kbps. Anyone know why that should be? Is it just that the music is less, er, dense?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Bit rate on classical music
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 06:58:59 am »

Why not use MC to rip your CDs (assuming you've got Windows)?
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 07:21:06 am »

You may be trying to do "uncompressed" FLAC, but that's really no improvement over lossless FLAC or any other lossless format.

MC's ripping is as good as any other program's, and a little less complicated.  You might try it.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 12:01:16 pm »

I think the answer to your question has to do with the "compressibility" of the music. If there isn't much going on, like lots of relatively quiet periods those parts can be compressed more than some rock song which has a lot going on throughout the song.
Pages: [1]   Go Up