INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stopping playback of audio file causes crash  (Read 2431 times)

duffyfs

• Recent member
Stopping playback of audio file causes crash
« on: February 08, 2014, 11:57:36 am »

I've been using the program trial for about a week. Right now I'm just using it as an audio player to access my FLAC files. I followed the wiki in setting it up, and it seems to run fine except for it crashing and forcing me to hard boot to get back into my computer. If I bring up the program, load an album, hit play, usually no problem. If I do the same, then hit "Stop" after 10 or 20 seconds in order to move to another track the program locks up. No mouse...no keyboard... I've waited 30 minutes to see if it would release, but no joy. The only way out is the power button. I've eliminated my A/V and firewall as the cause. If I were using the program just as an audio player in the background while on the web or accessing email this wouldn't be that much of a problem. But if working with a word processor or cad program such a crash would cause a data lost. I did a search to find similar threads and if there is a fix, and I missed it, please link me. Other than this I think the program is excellent, but I need to get it working before I put out the $50. Thanks

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Cheers
Re: Stopping playback of audio file causes crash
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 02:34:57 pm »

Welcome to the community.
As a first step to find a solution open the program click on help-->logging check "output to a log file" click done reproduce the problem
and then click Report Problem this will create a zip file on your desktop that you can email the developers once one of them replies here.
Sean

duffyfs

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 05:25:48 pm »

I now have 2 zip files on my desktop I would like to send them to the developers as per your reply. Any set procedure, and what is the email addy?

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 12:33:23 am »

logs at jriver

duffyfs

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 08:48:52 am »

I posted 2 logs to loss at, but no reply. Did some troubleshooting. I disabled both my AV (Nod 32) and my Firewall (Zone Alarm Pro) brought up an album I had ripped with dpoweramp and started playing 30 seconds of each track to check the quality of the rip. I select a track in "Now Playing">play>stop>select next track. I got up to the fifth track and the "play" button disappears and the computer locks up solid and I have to reboot. This is the same thing that occurs with my AV and firewall turned on. Event viewer(XP) shows no errors under either Application, or System.        I looked at the logs (now 4) under app data/jriver but nothing jumped out, but then I really don't look what to look for

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 09:39:18 am »

If it is the AV software, disabling it is not enough.   Uninstall it.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 10:20:01 am »

I posted 2 logs to loss at

Sadly your logs did not include a valid crash dump, which makes debugging crashes rather impossible.
Please update to the latest version again, and try sending another one.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

duffyfs

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 11:33:25 am »

Jim H...When I started to debug I read your AV post and Glynor's Troubleshooter. Uninstalled Nod32, but got the same results in MediaCenter, so I re-installed it. My flac files are on a separate internal drive which is not monitored by my AV and I've excluded the JRiver folders (Program files & App Data) in the AV.
          I'll send in the last two logs, but in reading them I also don't see any crash data. I have the latest update installed.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 11:47:30 am »

Did you try DirectSound in audio settings?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 11:48:16 am »

FWIW, I'm seeing occasional crashes when stopping video playback on my HTPC lately.

I haven't reported it because I'm not 100% sure which build I'm running there, though I think it is 114.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 11:50:22 am »

They're full crashes of MC, but not like described by the OP.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

duffyfs

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 01:27:40 pm »

Jim H...Right now I have it set for SB Audigy Audio[8400] [Kernal Streaming] 24 bit(should it be 16?), 0.50 buffering.
Originally, I had it set for Direct Sound, but reading your wiki I tried the Asio drivers for my sound card; an Audigy 2 Plat., but they wouldn't work and wasapi came out after XP, but Kernal worked fine. Anyway, I had the same problems, with the transport, in Direct sound. I haven't played with DSP yet. Also, if I select individual albums all the tracks will play through, it is only when I stop and start the transport that I get a crash. When I reboot and save the log I bring up Mufin player 2.5, set it to read flac, and duplicate what i did in MediaCenter...no problem.

duffyfs

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 07:49:33 pm »

Would my manually doing what the program does using the scripts under Player>Preview Mode when "play entire song" is checked have anything to do with it crashing? I'll run the previews and see what happens. Excuse me if I'm being stupid. I like to build and repair computers and don't have much love for software, but I know you can't have one without the other. I do respect people who can code. I had to learn FORTRAN IV some 50 years ago and hated it.

duffyfs

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 10:33:35 am »

I opened 10 albums in Player>Preview Mode and tried the various options there. All tracks played without a hiccup.
Maybe when I preview tracks manually instead of using Preview Mode the program goes WTF and locks up. If I can't find any other problems its time to purchase...Thanks...Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up