INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PLaying Itunes store downloaded TV Program in JR  (Read 4337 times)

peterdrowan

• Junior Woodchuck
PLaying Itunes store downloaded TV Program in JR
« on: February 10, 2014, 09:20:30 am »

When I try and play the video I get "Failed to connect Video Decoder to Source/Splitter"  File type is .m4v.  I am new to doing anything with video in JR.  All my activity up to now has been audio so it may be a stupid question.   What I realy wnat to do is play this programme on my smart TV via DNLA but clearly if I can't even play it in JRiver then I can't expect to DNLA it. Can't see anything obvious in Video Options. Is this because of Digital Rights Protection.

Peter Rowan

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: PLaying Itunes store downloaded TV Program in JR
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 09:44:26 am »

Is this because of Digital Rights Protection.

Well - if the iTunes store is involved - there had better be iTunes and Apple devices involved.

ALL content (Video/audio etc) via iTunes is most certainly loaded with Apple DRM.

VP

peterdrowan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 02:37:20 pm »

That doesn't explain anything as I can play apple bought music using JR so why not apple bought video

Peter Rowan

Vocalpoint

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 02:45:25 pm »

That doesn't explain anything as I can play apple bought music using JR so why not apple bought video

Sorry for the misinformation - I just realized that all iTunes music has been DRM free for several years now - so that makes sense playing thru MC.  However - it seems that the movies remain locked.

From Apple Support:

"Movies purchased from the iTunes store can only be played on your computer's iTunes, Apple TV, and iOS devices (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch). You can copy them to DVDs for backups purposes, but you won't be able to play them on a normal DVD player"

This is most certainly looks like a reason you are having no luck with playing via MC.

VP

peterdrowan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 06:25:18 am »

No more movies from Itunes store then.   When DRM stops me doing totally legitimate things with media I have bought legally that is when I draw the line.   I know I can connect my PC to the TV but they are not in the same room.   Itunes can't send the TV program via DNLA over wifi.

Peter Rowan

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 06:31:45 am »

You might be able to play them if you switch the playback method for this file type to QuickTime (in Options -> File Types).
But this might only work on the same PC as iTunes is on.

But yeah, DRM does block you from properly using the media.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Vocalpoint

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 06:35:14 am »

No more movies from Itunes store then.   When DRM stops me doing totally legitimate things with media I have bought legally that is when I draw the line.   I know I can connect my PC to the TV but they are not in the same room.   Itunes can't send the TV program via DNLA over wifi.  Peter Rowan

iTunes can send the movie to your TV if you to buy an Apple TV box for 99 bucks (and maybe an Airport Express).

I have a few friends with this setup and they can watch anything from the iTunes store on their specific TV.

VP

peterdrowan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 06:40:07 am »

I already have a ROKU thats more than enough streaming devices.

Peter Rowan

Vocalpoint

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 07:06:58 am »

I already have a ROKU thats more than enough streaming devices.

Fair enough - then you need to stay away from iTunes movie content and rip your own collection to MKV (Preferably) and use it in MC.

VP

peterdrowan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 03:03:10 pm »

In fact I have been able to make the Apple TV programs play in JR.   You need to use OPtions, File types and then for the extension choose playback method external program (Custom) and select the location of quick time( at least version 6).  Playback method quicktime engine does not work for some reason.  Next step is to see if I can make it work from DNLA.

Peter Rowan

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 07:37:17 pm »

I can confirm Peter's experiences, but will add that his solution of using Quicktime as an external player only works if you also have iTunes installed on the same PC, and that PC is "authorised" via iTunes to play downloaded content.

This is not a very good solution, as the playback via Quicktime (or iTunes instead) doesn't use MC's video and audio processing, or controls. So the movie I watched over-drove my speakers on one occasion, with a loud pop, and I couldn't use my remote control to control playback. Plus it runs in a separate window, which on my HTPC for some reason doesn't size correctly until I maximize it. It is a pity that the included Quicktime Engine doesn't work. Even with iTunes installed and authorised, with or without file association set to play with MC, only a flat grey screen is shown with no audio. I couldn't find any information to correct that problem. Most information was years old, and referred to a time when MC relied on Quicktime for playback, instead of using Red October.

System:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
JRiver Media Center 19.0.120
iTunes 11.1.5.5
Quicktime 7.7.5 (1680.95.13)

Any chance of a future fix to this issue? I know, I know, it is Apple, and they hold DRM close to their hearts and wallets, so the answer is probably no. :(
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up