INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback stops when sample rate changes  (Read 7532 times)

robertk

Playback stops when sample rate changes
« on: February 14, 2014, 03:58:53 am »

I'm new to MC and in the free trial month, using MC 19.0.108.
When the next song has a different sample rate (higher or lower) from the one just ended, playback stops. The play/pause button shows pause but no sound comes out and the elapsed track time counter stays at 0. I have to hit stop then play to make it continue.
Searches seem to show this problem has happened fairly regularly over the years, but most threads just end without a solution being given. It seemed to get fixed in MC17 but appeared again in 18.
I'm sending USB data to a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 using ASIO (Audio setup "Focusrite USB 2.0 Audio Driver (ASIO)")
Not resampling anything or using the DSP.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Playback stops when sample rate changes
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 09:47:51 am »

Not all DSD'S will make the switch gracefully.   Use MC'S DSD Studio Output Settings to resample everything.

robertk

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 10:15:35 am »

I don't really want to resample everything, and it shouldn't be necessary.
Do you know what is going wrong? Do you think MC is sending out the correct ASIO commands - i.e. do changes in sample rate work with other USB interfaces? If so, is there a specific ASIO command that the Focusrite driver is not handling properly, or something?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 10:18:13 am »

It's the DAC or the driver.  Did you try what I suggested?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 10:21:29 am »

Do you know what is going wrong? Do you think MC is sending out the correct ASIO commands - i.e. do changes in sample rate work with other USB interfaces? If so, is there a specific ASIO command that the Focusrite driver is not handling properly, or something?

I have a Steinberg UR824 (another USB ASIO interface) and can confirm that it switches sample rates without any problem.  I think some other folks here also use the Focusrites, but I haven't heard of anyone else having this specific issue with the Scarlett series.

I'll second what Jim said; try resampling to see if that works as a troubleshooting step.  If it fixes it, we know there's something funny about the way the DAC is handling sample rate changes.  Out of curiosity, is your Scarlett also the windows default output device?  Is any other program trying to communicate with it at the same time?

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 11:19:37 am »

You might want to try changing the ASIO buffer sizes or try the "Play silence at startup for hardware synchronization" option and see if it helps.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 11:49:47 am »

Pro audio devices are usually used in a mixing/mastering setting. They have a global sample rate setting that isn't changeable by other software in order to ensure the sample rate is always the same for a project. The Lynx Aurora (via USB) and the Solid State Logic Alpha Link are two I have used that don't support sample rate changes by JRiver. You have to either manually change the sample rate in the driver control panel/buttons on audio device or resample with JRiver. The Steinberg, Tascam, and Lynx AES16e audio devices I've used do allow JRiver to change the sample rate.

Matt, JRiver's CTO, has a Focusrite Scarlett 18i18 and is planning on writing a review but he is currently in the hospital. He will probably be able to shed some light on it when he gets back to work.

If you are concerned about resampling, you can use JRiver's Convert Format tool to change the sample rate of some songs and listen back to back to compare to the original sample rate. I, and most others, can't hear any difference.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 11:58:24 am »

This note in the manual indicates that the Scarlett doesn't support sample rate changes by other software:

Note: you must quit your DAW application BEFORE you make sample rate changes to prevent any undesirable side-effects in your
DAW!

mykillk

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 10:41:08 pm »

Would using WASAPI allow the ability of changing the sampling rate automatically?

robertk

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 11:42:15 am »

Thanks for the suggestions, here are the results:

Using DSP Studio Output settings to resample everything to the same rate - tried 44.1,48,88.2,96 - all allow consecutive tracks to play OK.
The Scarlett box was not the default windows audio output device, it was my laptop speakers. Changing it did not fix the problem though.
Play silence at startup for HW sync - no change.
Change ASIO buffer sizes - large HW buffers on/off, buffer sizes 5ms/50ms/250ms - no change.
Instead of ASIO I switched to "line out Focusrite 6i6 (WASAPI)" - no change.
I have a similar warning about sample rate changes in my manual, but it's in the section talking about manually changing the sample rate in the mixcontrol window - I can see that forcing it to change when you are sampling or outputting would not be good, but this is just sending a track at one sample rate, stopping, and sending a track at a different sample rate.
>>I have a Steinberg UR824 (another USB ASIO interface) and can confirm that it switches sample rates without any problem
I would hope Steinberg could do ASIO right! Useful to know some HW devices work OK.

I then installed Foobar2000, that has the same problem (though it's easier to fix as you just have to hit play)
So looks like its a problem on the Focusrite side - I've emailed them, will let you know what they say.

ppataki

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 07:30:44 am »

Was this issue solved at the end?
I am planning to buy a Scarlett 18i20 (2nd gen) and I got worried about this issue
Thank you
Pages: [1]   Go Up