INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't Uninstall Media Center 19 and can't run it either  (Read 2409 times)

wkjeffers

Can't Uninstall Media Center 19 and can't run it either
« on: February 21, 2014, 07:56:08 am »

Sorry if this is already covered, but I honestly dont have the time to read thru every topic in this forum......  When I start MC19 which I just purchased, it says that it can't run JRTools. When I have tried to follow the guide to re-install it will come up to the first window for 'MUSIC" "PICTURES"  and when I click on MUSIC , a dialogue box appears and says the same error message - JR Tools can't run. When I try to uninstall from the windows 8 control panel, it says Uninstall.dll cannot be found. So I am stuck. If I can't uninstall to get a clean copy re-installed what can I do. I am an Audio guy not a PC guy so all these issues I see in the forum really makes me wonder if I should have bought this software..........

and this is all with my trend micro turned off.............

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can't Uninstall Media Center 19 and can't run it either
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 08:05:29 am »

That's super-oddball.

First, you do not need to uninstall MC in order to reinstall it.  Most users here update to new builds regularly without first uninstalling the old version.  That's the generally recommended method.  If you have serious issues, removing and reinstalling it can be a useful troubleshooting step, but generally this isn't required.

So, step one would be to download the most recent build of MC, and install it overtop of the one you already have installed.  It is likely this will fix your issue.

It is also possible that security software of some kind is blocking MC's access to the (required) JRTools.dll file.  As explained in the link, sometimes turning "off" your Anti-Virus application doesn't actually disable very much.

If not, please post back.

I am an Audio guy not a PC guy so all these issues I see in the forum really makes me wonder if I should have bought this software..........

This is, by-no-means, a common issue.  I've never seen a report like this before.

Also, keep in mind, that the people who come here to participate are often the people who are having trouble.  In other words, there is a massive "silent majority" out there.  There is a large core group of people here who try to help and all of us run the software every day, and we aren't having anything like this at all.

My guess is that something got borked during your installation.  Perhaps interference from your AV software caused it (this is common, I can't install Adobe Creative Suite at all with Symantec Endpoint Protection enabled, or it comes in completely broken), or perhaps something else went wrong.

In any case, install MC again overtop of the existing installation, and I bet it will fix you up.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 08:09:58 am »

Here's another similar problem:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87263.msg597375#msg597375

Antivirus is a good guess.  Uninstalling it may be necessary.

wkjeffers

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 11:12:19 am »

I tried reinstalling over top of the existing MC and that hung as well and gave me the same JRTools error. Is it really the case that this is the only program that I have that would force me to uninstall my anti-virus software? No disrespect to JRiver but that really doesn't seem like a good thing. I need my antivirus more than I need JRiver! I truly think hi rez audio files might save high end audio, but not if there are major issues like this for the software ( sorry, I digress) 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 11:26:20 am »

If it is the antivirus software, and it may not be, it is not a JRiver problem.  It is a problem with the antivirus software.

Did you read the link I gave above?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 12:10:29 pm »

You clearly didn't read the links I included in my post.

The idea is NOT to uninstall the AV program and leave it uninstalled.  It is to rule it in or out as a possible root cause.

What MC's installer is trying to do is not unusual at all.  Something is blocking it from being able to install properly on your system.  Something is broken.  The fact that you aren't seeing issues with other applications is dumb luck.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 12:24:53 pm »

One question:

Are you using the HD Tracks Downloader?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 02:17:22 pm »

Another question...

How did you buy it if you couldn't get it installed?

wkjeffers

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 07:36:18 pm »

yes, I do have the HDTracks installer on the PC, but I purchased the JRiver MC 19 after that. Good question about the purchase. I purchased it from the website but never had a chance to run it - this was months ago and I just tried to use it last night and when I click on the shortcut I get a menu come up and when I select "MUSIC" that is when the Jrtools error dialogue box comes up. I had tried the free trial before but when my AV trend micro came up which blocked the install, I ditched it.  I believe I turned Trend Micro off when I downloaded it when purchased. I am not opposed to uninstalling TrendMicro to see if it works but my point was if it is a AV issue I would hope there is a workaround since I have to have AV software.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 07:39:13 pm »

Any workaround would be a Trend Micro issue.  Disabling an antivirus program is often not enough.  Uninstalling may be necessary, if that's what the problem is.

Antivirus programs should not be set to check every media file every time it's opened.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 12:36:53 am »

Before you try messing with the Trend Micro thing, try something else for me...

I wonder if the HDTracks downloader is using JRTools.dll and so it can't be updated when you install the new build.  First things first, make sure HDTracks Downloader is NOT running when you try to install MC.  If necessary, uninstall it to be sure, and reboot.

Then try to re-install the latest version of MC.

If that works, let us know.  If you had to uninstall HDTracks entirely, then you should be fine to reinstall it afterwards.

Pages: [1]   Go Up