INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plans for Mac  (Read 2670 times)

svargas

Plans for Mac
« on: February 21, 2014, 11:05:10 pm »

I have been away from JRiver for a few years, because I move to using a Mac for my media center. Is the roadmap for the Mac product include video play back including VOB, MKV files.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Plans for Mac
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 06:45:24 am »

Yes, but it will be a while.  It's impossible to say when or which version.

jimm2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 10:24:25 am »

Yes, but it will be a while.  It's impossible to say when or which version.

Love MC but it's statements like this that give me great pause.

Doesn't JRiver set development targets or goals? For most of us, if we made comments like this to customers we wouldn't be in the job very long. I understand that you don't like to make promises you can't keep but this makes it sound like you have no roadmap for the product.

JohnAV

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 12:34:08 pm »

Yes, but it will be a while.  It's impossible to say when or which version.

Reference from the FAQ (MC 18) Feb 21, 2013
SCOPE
Version 18 and 19 will not include video.  The first builds are audio only, and some features may be unavailable.  A few may never be available.  When the feature set is more complete, we expect to add images, but this may not be a free upgrade.  Video support will take longer, perhaps as much as a year.  Media Network features are now working.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to update the FAQ about that and relocate it in the MC 19 Mac section for perspectives?  I too hope MC Mac encompasses video capabilties eventually, but that comment "as much as a year has now passed" :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 10:33:56 am »

We had a discussion a long while ago on this, when MC19 was still shiny and new... Here's the rub:

They don't want to do "just another" video implementation on OSX, using the CoreVideo framework.*  Instead, the ultimate goal is to provide integrated video support similar to that in the Windows version... Meaning, supporting LAV (or something like it), and features like those enabled by madvr.

That's a big project, though, hence the "working thoughtfully".

And then there's Theater View which is probably as-important.  If you're going to have good video playback, you really need a way to be able to use MC as a Home Theater front-end.

So...

When we discussed all this, I'd made the suggestion:

Do we expect to get Video support, of some kind, in the Mac version at some point during MC19?
If not, how much work would it be to add the ability to browse the files back in (using our normal view schemes like from Windows) but when you play them, they launch in the registered external player?

This would largely solve my problem on my Macs.  It would, of course, be nowhere near as good as native support, but if I could play them in VLC or whatever (and launch images in Preview or whatever), I'd use the Mac version of MC much more, rather than using it inside my Windows VM.

To which Matt responded:

Launching an external player would be a good stop gap.

I agree, and I hope to see this implemented at some point in v19.  It wouldn't be as good as native support, of course, but if we could see and manage our entire libraries in MC, and just launch videos you double-click in VLC Player or whatever, that would be absolutely workable for now.

I'd also like Image support that I could set up to launch in Preview (with Right-Click > Send To > Photoshop, natch).

* This is for a good reason.  The Windows version, after all, was originally built relying upon the built-in DirectShow playback engine.  This left the end-users to figure out the complex set of codecs and plugins they'd need to have installed for good format support and quality, and led (eventually) to a supportability disaster.  Red October fixed all of that, and did so in an elegant way.  You could say that experience (and the experience of de-Windows-specific-ifying all of their existing code) "taught them a valuable lesson": If it is worth doing, it is worth doing right.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

svargas

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 04:05:33 pm »

Thanks very much for the quick response, I am looking for full function video solution. I used JRiver for years but got tried of supporting and up keep of windows operating system. So I switch to OSX and using Plex for media center, but they are are dropping support for disk image formats such as video-td, ISO which means I have over 200 video's that won't play any more. Plex has moved to care more a streaming to devices and support other platforms then be a media center. There are a lot of Plex users now it the same boat as I am.

jimm2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 05:33:46 pm »

It wouldn't be as good as native support, of course, but if we could see and manage our entire libraries in MC, and just launch videos you double-click in VLC Player or whatever, that would be absolutely workable for now.
I[/size]

This would totally satisfy me as well.

From the sound of it, full video support similar to the windows version is going to be a long way off so this would be a great near term solution.

JohnAV

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 07:06:11 pm »

Thanks for the shared comments glynor

Making use of somewhat integrated functionality with third party freeware/donation apps (VLC, XLD for example) to achieve full functionality can certainly work to your advantage.  Less support based headaches attributed to MC Mac, along with builds being optimized faster for various usage.
Pages: [1]   Go Up