INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VPN and remote access of MC19  (Read 4094 times)

rossp

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
VPN and remote access of MC19
« on: February 25, 2014, 02:43:12 am »

Hi All, I use https://www.privateinternetaccess.com to VPN all my traffic for security reasons. When I do this I obviously get a new IP address. This stops me from being able to access MC remotely. Is there a way of getting MC to recognise the IP change and update the JRiver server to reflect the change and let me in?

Ross

jctcom

• Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
Re: VPN and remote access of MC19
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 04:20:20 am »

Hi Ross.

I've never actually tried it through a VPN but No-IP http://www.noip.com/ which is a free dns forwarding service has a small utility that installs on the local computer and then reports any IP change back.  

Then instead of connecting via IP directly you connect via the DNS address you end up with when you register (Free).

Again not sure how the VPN will effect it.  But it is free so can't hurt to try.

Hope that helps.

Carl.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 06:46:01 am »

MC's Access Key method does something similar.  If the address changes, JRiver's server gets updated so that the Access Key will work again.  It takes a few minutes.

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 09:14:06 am »

Thanks Jim, I will have to debug this to see why it is not working.

Ross

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 08:57:32 am »

It looks like the easiest way to resolve this is to point the client at the address of the router. I have a fixed IP for my router and if I point my client to that then it works reliably. My router forwards the port onto my study MC19 machine.

Ross

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
  • Music and Audio enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 03:02:50 am »

MC's Access Key method does something similar.  If the address changes, JRiver's server gets updated so that the Access Key will work again.  It takes a few minutes.
This does not work for me. I see JRiver22 is trying to connect to the brand new IP generated by VPN  but time out ..
I also tried to connect with the <internal IP>:52199 as indicated elsewhere but still does not connect with both JRiver22 and Gizmo web access

please help
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.
NAS: QNAP TS-531 with 5x4TB HDDs
DAC/ADC: RME ADI2 PRO
Speakers (active): 2 x ATC SCM50ASL
Subs (active): 2 x REL 528 Signature
Pages: [1]   Go Up