Yes
- 15 (15.5%)
Maybe
- 23 (23.7%)
No
- 59 (60.8%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Synapse -- Would you consider a $395 Audiophile DLNA Renderer?  (Read 63817 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: JRiver Synapse -- Would you consider a $395 DLNA Renderer?
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2014, 07:12:56 pm »

There's no point surely in duplicating what, say, Synology have done who've already got the storage thing on headless servers with an amazing and well-developed UI and a complete package-management system, sewn up.

To be clear, I wasn't talking about trying to compete with a multi-disk RAID enclosure NAS style device, like those from Synology.  I was talking about a way to make having an online media Library in MC easy to obtain and set up, alongside the other benefits.

I was talking about the need most people have, which is to attach one, or two, external USB disks to give them 2-4TB of storage online.  More like competing with the NAS-ified USB ports they stick on routers nowadays (and which, by the way, do a terrible job at it).  Now, I certainly realize that Synology and the other similar vendors make more modest systems, but I'm really talking about one more value add to the suggested "base", not a "I want to be the best NAS for everyone" product.

A lot like the File Transporter Sync I linked to earlier, but that can do really high-quality audio as well.

As I said before... I think this is a much easier sell if it has Theater View and Video support, without all the storage stuff I suggested, so maybe really working on that for v20 is time better spent.

It just wouldn't have much value for me, as described, that's all I can really say for sure.

I should also add... One thing you have to be concerned with in any case is security.  These appliance devices are now becoming the prime targets for attacks.  As PCs have become tougher and tougher targets, often it is these "smart" devices (routers, home automation appliances, and media streaming devices) that are being increasingly targeted.

And, most of the competition in this space is also terrible at that job (in addition to being terrible at software).

I think there's potential here.  A good central kernel of an idea.  I'm just not sure you've nailed it quite yet.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jimm2

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: JRiver Synapse -- Would you consider a $395 Audiophile DLNA Renderer?
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2014, 08:07:03 pm »

We're probably going to introduce a hardware product this year.  I'd like to ask you for your reaction.

Ours would be this NUC plus Linux (probably Debian) plus JRiver Media Center for Linux, configured to be used as a DLNA Renderer, and possible to configure and use without a monitor.  It would probably sell for $395.

The initial version would be audio only because that's what MC on Linux does now.  Eventually, it might be upgradable to also play video and images.

Is this interesting?

Nope, I can't think of any reason to buy such a limited device at this price.

javidan

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: JRiver Synapse -- Would you consider a $395 DLNA Renderer?
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2014, 08:15:37 pm »

I think there's potential here.  A good central kernel of an idea.  I'm just not sure you've nailed it quite yet.

I agree with just about almost everything Glynor has posted in this thread so I'm just posting to add my vote with his views without a long write-up.

FWIW, I have Synology/QNAP NAS machines set up and have been considering getting a standalone mini PC like the NUC here or the Zotac posted in http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87759.0 to install JRiver.
So yes, a full solution for the Media Center will interest me. A pure audio-only solution would not. [I connect it straight the the horrific TV Speakers.  LOL]

It kinda short-changes JRiver, JRiver isn't just the best audiophile software solution anymore. It has become the best media solution [admittedly my biased opinion] out there. I would never have considered a standalone PC for other products out there in the past, but JRiver's worth it.

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2014, 09:26:23 pm »

Absolutely. If it is a high performance unit with best playback in mind.  Unless you want to go cheap and then rationalize why something better isn't necessary. Or, if you have the knowledge to build your own....

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2014, 04:19:16 am »

Would this be something that would be able to play gapless over DLNA or other streaming?

If it does then that would be something that would/could differentiate it from the competition.  Gapless playback as a feature is a biggie for me.  Because of the types of music I like and how I like to listen to it (as full albums, not as playlist tracks).  I'm not sure how big if a deal breaker gapless support is for others, but for me it's a biggie. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2014, 07:51:21 am »

If we control both sides, we can make gapless work.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2014, 09:04:32 am »

If we control both sides, we can make gapless work.

This statement applies for MC in any case regardless of whether or not the actual PC hardware would be purchased from JRiver...
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2014, 01:19:30 pm »

I would also not go for this kind of hardware.
In my opinion if JRiver wants to go hardware you should make "JRiver tweaked components". I'm maybe dreaming aloud as I don't know how hard it is to team up with "big-weights" or, what exactly licensing restrictions allows you to do or not, but I would more appreciate to see for example :
- a graphic card which is tweaked exclusively for HTPC use with perfect(!) refresh rates and/or exceptional components
- a hdmi audio (only) card
- an add-on soundcard (ie pass-through aka auzentech or xonar who would allow for DSD over HDMI bitstreaming.
- any hardware which would allow for more hi-fi like builds (why not a special case aka origen M10/M7) with an LCD working perfectly with JRiver - I mean format logo lighting up if you play DSD etc... (the case could be branded - actually If I'm not mistaking NAIM uses a special proprietary edition of the M10).

- on the software-side even if I remember Jim already stated his "not-interested"...I would love to see driver and add-ons allowing for better integration of a JRiver Machine into global remote systems aka RTI, crestron or AMX

Just my five cents

oldzorki

• Recent member
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2014, 03:08:28 pm »

Well, audiophile world is picky, but 400-500 will not scare them if implemented right. Even an ugly and limited SimAudio Mind still selling for $1200!
AURALiC soon will release Aries Streamer - http://www.stereophile.com/content/auralic-aries-music-streamer for $999.
Will new product be able to match up? Excluding "looks" ))

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2014, 05:16:44 pm »

It's 8 no's (72%) and 3 maybe's right now.  I predict it will finish with two thirds maybe's.
I was wrong.  No's are 64% now.

So about 1/3 of our customers might be interested.

Many of our users already use an HTPC for this purpose.  In the wide, wide world, the percentage of people who use HTPC's is probably under 10%.

JimH

• Administrator

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2014, 10:58:00 am »

Audiophiles are a tricky market. You probably won't get a computeraudiophile.com type endorsement with the NUC because the unit has a fan that makes noise. So, while 400 is not expensive in that world, you might not hit the market because the unit doesn't match the prevailing views in that world (players need to be silent, no moving parts, plus dubious claims like great power supply makes a difference etc.)

For the rest of us, it's a bit pricey for audio. For $400 I'd build a low power HTPC with video capabilities. Or buy a 60 dollar network Blu Ray. Or get a chromecast for $35 bucks. Or a longer cable to reach the stereo for $20 dollars. The streaming market has changed a lot in the past year and its just cheaper to get in the door.

So you might consider shooting higher, or shooting lower. Here's two examples of opposite ends of that spectrum, a bundled JRiver package on either would be very interesting:

http://volumio.org/discover/  (custom linux os based on raspberry pi computer at about 60 bucks)

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/497-computer-audiophile-pocket-server-c-p-s-v3-zuma/  (Silent i3 fanless audio server at $1500 bucks)

Good luck and thanks for including us in the conversation!

Vincent Kars

« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2014, 11:46:24 am »

Here you have your bundled JRiver package: http://www.baetisaudio.com/index.php

Robert Joe

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2014, 09:00:24 pm »

I use JRiver for Cataloging and Browsing. I haven't found anything better. I used to have a HTPC but moved to a server in the office and streaming devices in the living room. Dune Player for Movies and Squeezebox Touch for Music. Zero maintenance and no big noisy box...

If this hardware was off the shelf with no mods to eliminate "noise" then I wouldn't buy it. However, I would be all over something like this running JRiver. I could once again have the power of JRiver/JRemote controlling playback.

http://www.sonore.us/SOtM1.html

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2014, 08:20:13 pm »

I think a hardware device is an excellent idea.  However, it would have to include video for me to go ahead and purchase one.

Currently, I have 5 wdtv live units in my home.  While they work great, I am unable to get the full benefit of Theatre View or access sidecar files using this system.  A JRiver media center which allowed full access to video and audio capabilities associated with the MC software would be a perfect solution and would hopefully negate the need for an HTPC.

I would buy 1 (with video) for sure.

Looking forward to hearing more about this.

Dave

pcstockton

« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2014, 11:52:18 pm »

totally.  give me WDTV capabilities with SqueezeBox Touch digital output quality via SPDIF and I would buy 3.

if it had video via HDMI i would help you sell them for free.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2014, 12:29:08 pm »

Yes I very much would consider a DLNA renderer. In fact I'd pretty much buy it onsight, as long as it was silent, worked with MC and JRemote, and fed my Benchmark DAC2 HGC - presumably by USB. In fact can I have one now. :)

Don't care about HDMI. But not interested if it has a fan.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2014, 02:33:04 pm »

Discussion of fans split.

Goatshade

« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2014, 04:08:18 pm »

I would seriously consider this with HD video output. Thus, I checked the "Maybe" box.

However, I have a question or two, mostly about its necessity in my own setup.

I recently stripped down my desktop PC in the interest of having it function primarily as an HTPC (though, being a desktop machine that was originally built to be an entry-level gaming PC, it's still a bit bloated for my taste). I have two zones set up: one in my room, corresponding to a Logitech Z-5500 5.1 surround system--to which the PC is connected via optical S/PDIF--and one in a separate room, corresponding to a Marantz SR5008 A/V receiver--to which the PC is connected via roughly 60 feet of HDMI and to my router via 80+ feet of CAT5E. A custom-assembled 7.1 system is connected to the A/V receiver in turn. The latter outputs the best-sounding audio I've ever experienced, especially when Audyssey is taken into account (bear it in mind, though, that I am still very new and inexperienced in the world of audiophilia). Save when I am using my PlayStation 3 or other device also connected to the A/V receiver, MC is, of course, the application that sees the most use in both zones.

All of my media files are stored in about 14TB worth of HDD's, enclosed in a small external RAID controller (four bays; NOT NAS), and connected to the PC via USB 3.0.

Would/should this Synapse box replace or streamline any of that? Or would this be either redundant, or a downgrade from the setup I already have? I don't understand much about devices designed specifically to function as DLNA renderers, and DAC's, and whatnot, and how they compete in the world of home theatre.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2014, 06:33:37 pm »

I split LIV Wave to a new thread.  I'll move it to the Hardware board later.

hlesser

• Recent member
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2014, 10:21:40 am »

Not sure why my prior post didn't show.

Any chance that you'll use the Intel NUC with Thunderbolt?  That'd be ideal for those of us who might want local storage by Thunderbolt while using the USB for the DAC.  No bus interference, higher speed transfers -- what's not to like?

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2014, 05:01:38 pm »

Is this interesting?

I would only be interested if it also did film/video in which case the NUC specs might not be good enough.

kenterickson

• Recent member
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2014, 11:07:28 am »

I would vote 'maybe'.    I have a rather simple view compared to many of the posts here.   What I would like to see is a complete solution for all the things that JRiver promises.   
- Audiophile quality audio
- Media Center capabilities for video and images
- JRemote and Gizmo capabilities as at present
- HDMI for video and audio

Right now I use my PC as a server and stream music to my AVR via DLNA functionality.   My AVR, as I think is the case with practically all of them, is not capable of rendering video or images (audio only).    So I am using an older WDTV player with an external HD to play movies, videos, and photos through my AVR to my TV.   The WDTV has an abysmal UI and I would love to have everything in one device with the great JRiver UI on my iPad.     

A turnkey solution for non sysads would easily be worth $400 to me.    I think I would prefer Windows to Linux unless JRiver winds up providing support for the Linux aspects because I don't want to learn anything about Linux at this point in my life.

« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2014, 12:12:32 pm »

Returning to this topic two weeks later is interesting, as a couple of things have happened since.
1. I bought another television - a small 32" Panasonic which was reasonably cheap. (and puts out a surprisingly nice picture)
This has WiFi and a DLNA renderer built in. I didn't have a chance to test it with Media Center and see if it worked well for images or videos, but it seems that most displays even at the lower end of things are coming with DLNA support built in now.

2. A family member wanted to get a "streaming box" as they put it, so I had to do some research into this. They ended up with a box from their ISP that cost $16 (a rebranded Roku) and supports all the major streaming services here. (Netflix, Spotify etc.)
Apparently you can also install Plex on this thing too - can a Plex client stream from Media Center? (I'm not familiar with it)

Now this box is obviously not an "audiophile" product (though it does output everything over HDMI) but for an extremely low price, this now does everything they wanted from an audio and video perspective, and will stream from a PC via Plex. (or possibly MC)

$400 seems a lot for a DLNA renderer - especially if it's only doing audio.
The NUC hardware does not have audiophile credentials in my opinion - the analog output is certainly not audiophile quality.
The only digital audio output is HDMI - no S/PDIF connection.
The device has a fan which is, again, not something an audiophile would accept. (if all you're doing is PCM playback, it would probably be unlikely to spin up to audible levels though)
The device is not going to be fast enough to support DSD playback other than bitstreaming.

If it was custom hardware in a fanless enclosure (or utilizing a "silent" fan such as Noctuas) which was capable of DSD conversion, and offered S/PDIF and multichannel analog audio in addition to HDMI, then I think you start to have an exciting product. But you probably don't have something which costs $400 either..

I think going down the route of some low-power ARM device like that CuBox-i which can do stereo, S/PDIF and HDMI seems like it might be the best solution as a client.

Edit: looks like the CuBox-i will only do S/PDIF or HDMI, not analog audio. But there seem to be a million similar ARM devices, so I'm sure that something will offer the outputs you want.

Any chance that you'll use the Intel NUC with Thunderbolt?  That'd be ideal for those of us who might want local storage by Thunderbolt while using the USB for the DAC.  No bus interference, higher speed transfers -- what's not to like?
I don't think any of the current generation NUCs have a Thunderbolt port on them, only DisplayPort.

csimon

« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2014, 12:41:15 pm »

The WDTV has an abysmal UI and I would love to have everything in one device with the great JRiver UI on my iPad.   

You can do this with your setup right now. You're using the iPad to send music via DLNA to the AVR, you can also use it to send music, video and images to the WDTV.  Assuming that the WDTV can handle the file formats you've got and, if not, that MC will be able to transcode.

hlesser

• Recent member

« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2014, 12:36:01 pm »

FYI, Thunderbolt is available on some NUC builds
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-kit-dc3217by.html
Yes - this is not a current product though. I don't think any of the Haswell NUCs (that one is Ivy Bridge) have Thunderbolt ports. It was dropped in favor of DisplayPort to save costs because adoption of Thunderbolt is so low.

pcstockton

« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2014, 05:00:19 pm »

You can do this with your setup right now. You're using the iPad to send music via DLNA to the AVR, you can also use it to send music, video and images to the WDTV.  Assuming that the WDTV can handle the file formats you've got and, if not, that MC will be able to transcode.

Yup!!!

There isn't any video that my WDTV Live wont play.  It outputs DD 5.1 to my AVR via spdif, so I am assuming it can at least play 24/96 audio.  I wouldn't be surprised if it can push 24/192.

I dont use mine for audio but I can check it tonight.

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2014, 11:14:13 pm »

1) Maybe, but likely not.  I voted yes because the question said "would you consider."
2) If it did video, without a doubt.

I bought the beta Mac version thinking that the beta phase of it would be taken closer to the windows version.  You're now a full rev in and there's still no progress in the video realm.  I didn't buy into the Linux beta for that reason (or Mac MC19).  I have 2 linux servers, 3 linux based NAS's, 2 mac books and 1 windows computer in my household.  To put that in context, I'd buy a Mac Mini for ~$600 and put J River on it to replace my current Windows HTPC.  So would I buy a $400 Linux box to replace instead?  In a heartbeat...  $500 if it did video, likely.  $600?  Maybe not.  

magnust

• Galactic Citizen

« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2014, 04:04:47 pm »

ECS LIVA + USB DAC = a lot of bang for the buck.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ecs+liva&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&channel=fflb
I thought of this topic as soon as I saw it announced, but I think people would expect analog audio outputs.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2014, 02:39:11 am »

 I know that it's not something you are likely to pursue, and probably not even something there is really a market for, but I would pay at least a couple of hundred dollars for a physical remote if it was done right. As far as I can see, everything on the market is crap.

Apple and Sony are the only companies that seem to know how to build a good remote, but neither of them are programmable and capable of controlling other devices.

That is not my experience. Harmony remotes have served us well over many years now in a fairly complex home cinema environment. If we have been let down, it has been by hardware manufacturers who tend to ignore the existence of programmable remotes.

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2014, 04:50:57 am »

I thought of this topic as soon as I saw it announced, but I think people would expect analog audio outputs.

Well, you have the option to get analog audio out from the LIVA in lots of ways.

- Either by the built in 3,5mm analog output. Probably only worth it on cheaper hifisystems or "computerspeakers". And cheap headphones.

- Second alternative is adding one of all the available minute USB-stick DACS like the Audioquest DragonFly or M2Tech Hiface DAC, or just slightly larger physically Meridian Explorer, any HRT, nuForce and so on.

- Then again you could go all in and let the LIVA drive a high end DAC also.

- And finally, why not use the HDMI to let a integrated amp with hdmi in/outs do the output or possibly use future high end HDMI based DACS.

I like the idea of the LIVA as a really really inexpensive (small and fanless :D ) MC-based DLNA renderer (and control point if you have a tv/monitor).

shadowlight

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2014, 08:12:55 pm »

I voted maybe.  I am getting into high res and dsd so I do not believe the current spec is going to cut it but hopefully there are plans to add support for better spec.  Couple of other things that are critical for me no dependencies on the X, if the system is head less there needs to be option to configure JRiver and external drives that is easy to use.  For folks comfortable in Linux it might not be difficult but for larger population it might better to provide web based management system similar to home routers and JRiver.  I am also hoping that the Linux version will support video over the next 6 months or so.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2014, 09:47:31 am »

We have the NUC running Debian Linux and JRiver Media Center now.  It's acting as a DLNA Renderer, so it shows up on the network and I can play APE files to it from a Windows PC.

Bob had to remove the hard drive and install the "Testing" build of Debian Wheezy on another PC.

Here's a picture of the patient (upside down).

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2014, 01:22:21 pm »

Is DSP studio implemented in the Linux MC? More specifically the parametric eq that can be set separately on left and right channels.

And if so, is the eq taxing on (slow) hardware?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2014, 06:26:42 pm »

I brought the device home this afternoon.  There was a lot of fumbling around on my part since I hadn't asked Bob any questions. 

It's running Debian Linux and a copy of JRiver Media Center.  It needed a keyboard to boot and I needed a display to see what it was doing.

Then it took about an hour to get it to show up in MC.  I asked Bob a few questions via text message, but nothing seemed to work.  What did work, finally, was to plug the other end of the little yellow network cable into the back of the NUC.  Embarrassing.  Really embarrassing.  In my defense, I did get one end of it right.

Now it shows up under Playing Now on my Win8 notebook, and I'm playing AIDA to it.  Triumph.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2014, 06:52:09 pm »

Moving it to a new location, connecting _all_ the cables, and booting took 6 or 7 minutes.  Finding it in MC and playing to it took another 2 or 3 minutes.  This time with a keyboard, but no display.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2014, 10:23:52 pm »

Then it took about an hour to get it to show up in MC.  I asked Bob a few questions via text message, but nothing seemed to work.  What did work, finally, was to plug the other end of the little yellow network cable into the back of the NUC.  Embarrassing.  Really embarrassing.  In my defense, I did get one end of it right.

;D

Been there.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2014, 03:00:52 pm »

Gizmo can play to it now from our phones and tablets.  

Simple.  Choose Server (source of music, one of the PC's running MC).  Choose Where to Play (destination, the device).  The device shows up as a destination choice, just by putting it on the network and turning it on.

It is silent from a foot away, and it runs cool.  It's not warm at all to the touch.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2014, 10:15:03 pm »

It's a regular wheezy install with our kernel build to get the HDMI audio working in addition to the analog and digital.
Need to get the NUC boot manager out of the picture and the configuration parameters doable remotely.

pcstockton

« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2014, 01:11:18 am »

any chance of coax digital audio output?

thanks,
Patrick

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2014, 01:47:44 am »

any chance of coax digital audio output?

thanks,
Patrick

From this info from Intel:
http://ark.intel.com/compare/78953,71484,74483,71275,71274,76977,76978,71620,76975,74484,76976,71286,68308
the answer is no with what's on the shelf (happy to be corrected though).

For selected NUC boards, you do get this Intel High Definition Audio Specification via HDMI or Display Port (depending on the hardware spec).

I'd expect many audiophiles would be looking for Coax S/PDIF Out from a renderer. If it's not there, then it's another exercise in hardware gymnastics.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2014, 07:38:17 am »

For digital out, you would need to use HDMI or USB.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2014, 09:18:25 am »

Here's the back of the device.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B41e27AZP7dTWVlRX0dNTXhZTlU/edit?usp=sharing

On the left is the power cord.  On the right is an 1/8 inch stereo jack for analog sound out.  

Two USB (one more on the front of the case), HDMI, and network.

The black slot at the top is for ventilation.

pcstockton

« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2014, 08:35:20 pm »

For digital out, you would need to use HDMI or USB.

Bummer... That puts it out of the running for me unfortunately.  Why have HDMI only when it doesn't even run video?  Unless it can run as a server???

-Patrick

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2014, 10:55:06 pm »

HDMI is excellent for audio.  I know that some audiophiles don't agree.

pcstockton

« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2014, 11:30:46 pm »

it's not an audiophile thing.  High-end DACs tend to have spdif.  HDMI is non-existent outside of the multi-channel AVR world.  No big deal.  You are marketing this to other another demographic.

Cheers!
Patrick

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
Re:
« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2014, 11:42:34 pm »

HDMI and S/PDIF aren't ideal for DACs. Both have problems with clocking (and jitter). If you are looking for a high quality, well engineered audio solution, you need an interface that has the master clock on the DAC.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up