INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connnect HTPC to analog receiver Harman Kardon  (Read 4570 times)

Al ex

• Citizen of the Universe
Connnect HTPC to analog receiver Harman Kardon
« on: March 07, 2014, 04:24:18 pm »

I want to connect audio of my HTPC with my analog receiver (Harman Kardon HK 3270).

Choices I have on my HTPC:
  • USB 3.0
  • SPDIF OUT
  • Headphone/Audio Out jack

On my analog receiver:
  • Cinch In

I am not sure, if I shall use the USB, or SPDIF on my HTPC, what do you think, will be better? Or no matter?

Thx for feedback

astromo

• MC Beta Team
Re: Connnect HTPC to analog receiver Harman Kardon
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 05:22:13 pm »

Based on this:
http://www.harmankardon.com/resources/Brands/harmankardon/Products/ProductRelatedDocuments/en-US/OwnersManual/HK3270%20om.pdf
Looks like you're dealing with analogue RCA single ended unbalanced inputs. So, you've cut down your options straight away.

I would have thought that the market is awash with cheap, quality USB DACs with RCA SE outputs. These questions come up here with some regularity. Here's a post I remember reading:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84213.0
There's plenty of choice from what's offered up there.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Al ex

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 05:38:41 pm »

Yup, absolutely right astromo - and found about this in other posts, after I have written my post - a classic ;) Will check other recommendations.
Still wondering, if USB or SPDIF makes a difference?

csimon

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 03:44:39 am »

Still wondering, if USB or SPDIF makes a difference?

I would say not, except that SPDIF is limited to compressed audio for multichannel and possibly sampling rates, but for normal stereo you are unlikely to hit those limits. I don't know if there any limitations with USB.  The biggest quality factor is likely to be in the quality of the analogue outputs of the DAC you choose.

Note that DD5.1 is already a compressed format and I don't think anyone would argue with the sound quality of that, so the compression may not be a problem!

Al ex

Re:
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 04:50:49 pm »

I am trying now the SPDIF to Cinch-DAC, 20EUR, let's see what this expitement brings. It's for stereo purposes only, no 5.1 monitors or so. On Amazon, the ratings were quite solid. And upgrading I can do still later on...
Thx.
Pages: [1]   Go Up