INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't play or rip CD from Pioneer Blu-ray drive in MC19  (Read 1943 times)

thefly

Can't play or rip CD from Pioneer Blu-ray drive in MC19
« on: March 26, 2014, 02:51:54 pm »

Hello all, hopefully someone can help resolve my issue.

Version: 19.0.121

As the title implies, I can't seem to play or rip CDs from my Blu-ray drive in MC.  This only happens in MC - Windows Media Player and iTunes have no trouble at all.  When I insert any CD into the Blu-ray drive and try to play or rip it with MC, MC will play a few seconds from the first track and then hang.  After a few minutes I get the Windows warning that MC is not responding.  A few minutes after that MC comes back to life and gives warnings for each of the tracks (Track cannot be played because the volume was not found). From this point, the Blu-ray drive will be missing from the system completely and I will have to reboot to get it back.

I have followed the troubleshooting guide as best as I can.  I tried uninstalling Avast antivirus, rebooting and repeating; the only difference this made was that EACH track on the CD would now play for about 10 seconds before MC would hang again.

I've grabbed the different logs mentioned in the troubleshooting guide and will attach them here.

This looks like a repeat of the issue seen here (also with Pioneer Blu-ray):

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=72177.10

But that issue seems not to have been resolved..?

Let me know if there's anything else you think I should try.

Thanks in advance.

thefly

Re: Can't play or rip CD from Pioneer Blu-ray drive in MC19
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 02:02:15 pm »

Guess I'll try a bump then.  Can anyone help..?  ?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 02:50:48 pm »

From this point, the Blu-ray drive will be missing from the system completely and I will have to reboot to get it back.

This piece would indicate that the issue isn't with MC, but with:

* Faulty SATA/IDE drivers on the system
* Faulty hardware (either broken, or not conforming to the spec).

The fact that iTunes and WiMP can use it isn't directly relevant because MC rips discs differently than they do (especially in Secure Mode, which is what you should be using).  But, in any case, the fact that the drive is vanishing from your system means that the driver for the drive is crashing.  MC can't do that (if the driver is broken, certainly, but nothing MC can do should cause the driver to crash, and if it does, then it is the driver's fault, not MC's).  It might be more of an interesting test to see if EAC can rip from the drive, but it still wouldn't tell us very much.

My guess?

The SATA driver on your system is falling down.  It could also be this driver getting in the way:
ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device (driver 6.1.7601.17514)

But, before I tried that, the first thing I would try is updating your Intel Rapid Storage drivers.  You're on:
Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller (driver 12.8.0.1016)

That's not absurdly old, but it is from March 2013, and there have been a couple updates since then (currently 12.​9.​0.​1001 from 12/2013).  If that doesn't work, try uninstalling CloneDrive and see if that makes it go away.

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 02:56:36 pm »

PS. If something you post goes unanswered for a few days, bumping just like you did is always a good idea.  Sometimes it is because no one knows.  Usually, it is that no one saw it, or did and forgot to answer.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 03:05:29 pm »

Ooh... Looking closer at your Reporter output, I see this:
Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller (driver 1.2.0.1027)

Is the BluRay drive connected to the Marvell SATA controller?

Because... The Marvell SATA 6G chips (most of them anyway) are well known to have all sorts of trouble, particularly with ATAPI devices (optical drives).  If that drive is attached to one of the Marvell ports on your motherboard, move it to one of the Intel ones.  I've actually recently turned that SATA device off in my BIOS entirely on my ASUS board, because of continuing incompatibility issues, hanging, crashing (particularly when booting windows).

If you can't, you might have better luck removing the Marvell drivers entirely and running with the Standard Microsoft ATA/IDE drivers that Windows auto-detects.

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 03:45:04 pm »

The Marvell SATA 6G chips (most of them anyway) are well known to have all sorts of trouble, particularly with ATAPI devices (optical drives).  If that drive is attached to one of the Marvell ports on your motherboard, move it to one of the Intel ones.
I would definitely suggest doing this even if it's not the cause of this problem - having my Blu-ray drives run off the Marvell ports instead of Intel ones caused all sorts of problems in my system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up