INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compensating for rear volume when moving from 5.1 to 7.1 setup  (Read 896 times)

Stream_HD

• Junior Woodchuck

So I just finished today setting up my 7.1 system (added two rear height channels).  I did my calibration on all channels and then recorded all new filters in Dirac Live.

So my question is, the rear sounds so loud now, what would be the best way to compensate for that?  Is using my ears to turn down the gain on both my sides and rears the only way to do this?  Is there a simple math equation that can tell me that the best would be -3DB per speaker or -1.5DB per speaker, knowing that I had two playing at reference level 75DB calibration, and now I have 4 running at that.  Additionally, I have no idea just exactly how much JRSS is adding to those rear speakers, especially since none of the demos I am using are actually 7.1 material.

I do however see them perfectly playing and can hear them also so I know it's all working.  Now it's just about "balancing" them and I don't believe the typical 75DB SPL tuning per speaker is the trick because I did that and it's to loud and distracting in the rear.

I am with my back against the wall, Side speakers are directly next to my seating position, 6 feet away, facing mostly forward.

My new speakers are 4 feet above those, in the corners of the ceiling, facing into the center of the room.

Any ideas to get the best sound from this or will this just be a "tweak until you are happy" exercise?

Thanks!
Windows 10 Enterprise on Samsung SSD
16GB RAM
AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor (3.30GHZ)
GeForce NVIDA 1650 SUPER 4GB Video Card
Seagate EXOS 16TB Enterprise Drive for Movies
Pioneer Internal Blu Ray Burner/Drive
Exasound e28 DAC / ASIO Soundcard

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Compensating for rear volume when moving from 5.1 to 7.1 setup
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 07:30:00 pm »

Is 7.1 content coded for rear height channels?
I thought you were supposed to move the 5.1 surround channels to the side, and the other two channels were rear speakers.

Stream_HD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 07:41:29 pm »

Yes you would be correct for someone who actually has the room for the proper setup 3 front, 1 sub, 2 sides and 2 rears.  Problem is I am literally right up against the back wall so my options were simply sides, and then rears that are placed above the sides facing the center of the room.

I just need to figure out exactly what information is JRSS using for those additional speakers when it's upmixing my 5.1 movies, and then what possible DB ratio reduction would be required for a balanced sound.  If that's not possible, it seems like most things it will be an experiment until my ears feel satisfied :).
16GB RAM

Stream_HD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 08:10:17 pm »

As a quick update for other people and my fure reference, I decided to test a -1.5DB cut on Side Left, Side Right, Rear Right and Rear Left and it sounds pretty much completely balanced and the 3D image now and room coverage is ungodly...

:)
16GB RAM
Pages: [1]   Go Up