INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 19 Ripping speed  (Read 3371 times)

tngiloy

• Junior Woodchuck
MC 19 Ripping speed
« on: April 06, 2014, 09:57:34 am »

The other day during the process of using MC19 to rip my cd collection to a hard drive I ran into a problem while trying to rip Dave Matthews Band --Under the table and dreaming. MC19 was unable to initiate the ripping. It seemed as if it was unsuccessfully trying to glean the info from the cd. I checked the cd, cleaned it and tried again and again and again, without success. I've ripped maybe 500-600 cd's so far and have only had a few that would not rip, and I assumed it was either a damaged disc or some sort of anti-copy BS that was manufactured into the disc.
Just for the heck of it I tried to import it using iTunes, and it worked flawlessly. It also ripped at a speed a lot faster than MC19. MC19 usually rips at 2x - 4x (usually closer to 2x) while iTunes was importing at 5x - 20x speed (usually around 12x). I have the MC19 set to 'maximum' rip speed.
Both are ripping to the same external HD, both are using Apple Lossless, and both are using the same disc drive on the same laptop.
Why is MC19 soooo much slower ??
Is 'ripping' different than 'importing' ?? Or is it just a different name for the same thing ??

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 19 Ripping speed
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 10:07:44 am »

By default, iTunes does not use error correction when ripping, and even with "error correction" enabled, it does not use secure ripping, which is a method that should guarantee you have a bit-perfect copy of the data on the disc.

Secure ripping is certainly slower, but I would be far more concerned about getting a bit-perfect copy of the data than the speed.

Notebook drives are typically rather slow compared to desktop drives too.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 10:30:24 am »

Is 'ripping' different than 'importing' ?? Or is it just a different name for the same thing ??

Yes, ripping is different from importing.

Ripping is the process of extracting audio data (or video in DVD/BluRay format) from an optical disc, converting it to a format that your computer can use natively (so FLAC, WAV, MP3, MKV, MP4, etc), and saving it to your hard drive.

Importing is is simply the process of entering information about the files into MC's database (called the Library). When you rip discs, after it has created the files on your drive, MC then automatically Imports them, but they are distinct concepts.

As to the ripping speed, 6233638 explained it.  iTunes (and most other common media players in their default configurations) do not verify that the data they got when ripping (the result in the end) matches perfectly the original source data.  MC does, by default.  It also does this on the fly as it goes so that it can slow the read speed up or down as it encounters different quality conditions on the disc.  You can turn this option off in Options > DC, DVD & BD but, I agree with 6233638 that you should not.  The quality guarantee is worth the increase in time required.  In fact, you may want to enable the option in there that creates the quality report when the rip is complete, so that you can verify that your source was not damaged.

Also, it should be noted that the initial metadata lookup process requires an active network connection (and requires JRiver's servers to be working).  There was some server downtime last week, as well.  So, if it was hanging there, when trying to look up track metadata, then those could be the cause.  MC should recover gracefully and report the network failure, I'd think, but maybe something's broken in there.  I hardly ever rip discs so I can't say for sure.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

tngiloy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 03:34:38 pm »

Thanks guys.
Looks like it may take a little longer than I hoped, but getting quality copies is my ultimate concern.
Still kind of funny to me that iTunes imported Dave Matthews 'under the table and dreaming' without any problem, but MC19 would not or could not even begin to rip it.
I can send you the disc if you want, for testing. I think there is something else going on-- like copy protection. Just saying.

maynard

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 12:39:32 pm »

I experienced the same issue with that same disc.  I was able to rip it using DB Poweramp, no problem. One thing I noticed is that there are 34 tracks on the disc.  23 of them are silence, and track number 34 (the song "34") comes at the end.  I don't know if MC's ripping software chokes on the empty tracks or what.   

byerh

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 01:08:37 am »

I had the same issue today trying to RIP this disk on MC 20 - frustrating. Perhaps the software chokes on the pound sign for track '#34'
Pages: [1]   Go Up