INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo and USB DACs  (Read 5329 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Gizmo and USB DACs
« on: April 08, 2014, 08:10:42 am »

I thought this was interesting:
http://archimago.blogspot.nl/2014/04/measurements-nexus-7-to-audioengine-d3.html

I was wondering whether it would be possible to have Gizmo support USB DAC's?

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Gizmo and USB DACs
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 08:13:48 am »

Gizmo just plays using the default Android audio support, are you sure it doesn't work out of the box yet?
I have a small DragonFly DAC, but I've never tested it on my phone to be honest, I could give it a whirl some time.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 08:17:51 am »

Well, I don't have one of those DACs (yet) so I have no first hand experience. From the article I gather that the USB DAC needs to be detected (requires driver support on android) which Android doesn't have.

There are apps that have USB DAC support built in, which triggered my curioiusity whether Gizmo could possibly see such support in the near future.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 08:19:36 am »

I suppose it depends on your USB DAC, the DragonFly is supposed to work out of the box if your phone has USB Host support and you have a USB OTG adapter cable.
I'll try it sometime.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 08:29:01 am »

Could be a marketing opportunity for a No-Pono...   ;D
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 10:07:26 am »

I've got an ODAC (which requires no drivers) and an OTG cable that works just fine with the google play app on my note 3.  I can try testing with gizmo and see if it works out of the box, the only reason I haven't yet is that I only use gizmo at home and the ODAC is my work DAC. I'll try and remember to take home the ODAC tonight to test.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 10:15:22 am »

I googled around a bit, and it appears Google didn't properly enable USB OTG support in the Nexus 5.

Here is the Android issue for it:
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24614

If you run CyanogenMod, it apparently has it enabled, some vendors also enabled it in their firmware, specifically the Moto X/G
Really sad that stock Android can't do it.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 04:08:48 pm »

I can confirm that Gizmo works with the two external DACs I tried with an OTG cable on my Note 3.  I got perfect playback with the two driverless DACs I had on hand (an ODAC and a Fiio e17).  My note 3 is more or less stock (not rooted, no special mods).

But based on Hendrik's research, it sounds like it might not work with all devices?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 04:58:08 pm »

Yeah some devices don't have USB OTG Audio support enabled in the kernel. Its really stupid. Sounds like Samsung enables it as well though.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 02:04:43 pm »

Some news on this front..

Google officially announced that Android "L" will have full USB Audio support, plus they revamped their audio pipeline for full 24-bit and 96 kHz support, as well as a much better resampler, so Android Audio is improving a lot in the next version!
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Hilton

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 07:58:39 am »

My surface RT works with my E17 DAC out of the box at 96/24 with Gizmo web app and several other DLNA renderers too.

fauxfreshness

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 08:20:57 am »

Just in case others trip across this, I figured I'd explain the Android thing a little bit.  Right now there are two ways to use USB DACs with Android:

• Build an application to run a parallel stack (like USB Audio Player Pro) to the Android audio API
  • Build the support directly into your image (pseudo-fork) of Android for your device

USB Audio Player Pro works on all of my Android devices, but it doesn't really care for the .PLA playlist files that MC20 defaults to when connecting the Android device to sync with.  It does, however, work beautifully with my Nexus 7 and Galaxy Note 3, among many other devices.  I believe this application still requires USB OTG support hooks compiled within the kernel (think "drivers") into the OS, which is why earlier devices were more miss than hit with it.  HTC and Samsung had this support built-in for at least a couple generations of devices, probably for docks or tied into using MHL/microUSB connections.  I was able to use my Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 USB I/O box with my Nexus 7 using the "USB Audio Recorder" application (same dev, but this was the first application for use with a DAW they made as a field recorder).

The use of an outboard USB DAC/Amp is rather annoying, but if you have good source files, gear (including headphones), and range of hearing left ;-) the difference is huge.  It's much more readily apparent if you produce your own music in the 24-bit/48 kHz (or better) domain as the stock hardware usually can't deliver the power AND S/N ratio at the same time to support everything it can deliver.  Hopefully with the new code base, we'll see more vendors make it easier to get higher resolution files to play natively (including AIFF) and we can move forward.

connersw

Re: Re: Re: Gizmo and USB DACs
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 07:48:48 pm »

Some news on this front..

Google officially announced that Android "L" will have full USB Audio support, plus they revamped their audio pipeline for full 24-bit and 96 kHz support, as well as a much better resampler, so Android Audio is improving a lot in the next version!

Any hope of supporting this in future versions of Gizmo?
Pages: [1]   Go Up