INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unsecuring MP3 files  (Read 1541 times)

Weasel

Unsecuring MP3 files
« on: February 18, 2002, 01:54:43 pm »

I am in the processing of transferring my music files from Real Jukebox to MJ.  As I mistakenly recorded my entire collection of CDs onto my hard drive using Real Jukebox's "secure" format, they will not import into MJ.  Is there any way to "unsecure" these files, or must I re-record them all (as I am tediously doing right now)?

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Unsecuring MP3 files
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2002, 02:10:27 pm »

I don't know of any way to do that.  It's a pity that Real and Microsoft don't warn you about the effects of "personal security".
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

RAVMAN

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2002, 03:20:44 pm »

Sounds more like personal security for MS or Real so you can't switch players. I would never use a so-called secure format for my own music.

Scronch

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2002, 07:21:44 pm »

Weasel, have you tried Winamp with the Tara plug-in?  I think Winamp will require RealPlayer or RealJukebox (or that newer stuff) installed to play the file.  But then the Tara output plug-in allows you to write the output to disk as a wave file.  Then convert the wave to mp3.

Scronch

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2002, 07:22:54 pm »

Oops, maybe I misread your post.  Sounds like they are already mp3 files.  I'd still try Winamp, and use waveout or something to convert.

Udo_1

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2002, 11:29:40 pm »

Hi,

I had the same problem before. The only way out is to my knowledge, use the convert funktion in RealJukebox and convert all your protected files (you may keep the format). But be sure, to turn of the protective flag before you start. The so converted files should not be protected any more.

Good luck

Udo

Alonso Nefarious

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2002, 08:36:52 am »

There is a quality consideration.  Any process that un-encodes your your files from a 'lossy' format like .mp3, say to a wave file, then re-encodes them as .mp3's again will result in a loss of quality.  IE something is lost every time a file is encoded to a 'lossy' format.

It could be that the RA convert de-protects the file without degrading quality, but you might want to look into that before choosing to convert vs. re-rip.

Also if you care about best possible quality and have the HD space consider Monkeys Audio (.ape) format.  It's as compact as a lossless format can be, and is gaining support.

Michael Horton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2002, 08:58:20 am »

we need monkey t-shirts (long sleeve too, please)

zevele1

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2002, 08:59:40 am »

In this case you convert the file to the same format.You  just convert them from secure to free.The mp3 stays the same,only keyless

Udo_1

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2002, 01:25:51 pm »

This conversion in RealJuke generates a new file and leaves the old one untouched. So you can try it without any risk and compare the results. I think there is no other way, since those files can't be played by an other RealJukebox without having the security key. If there is an other chance, take it and let me know, please.

udo

Scronch

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2002, 04:56:46 am »

Conversion from 176 kbps .rmj to wave to 160 kbps .mp3 produces no noticeable degradation.  Theory says they are degraded, and in practice they certainly are, but there is little if any practical difference.  Unless you're starting with a wave or lossless format (e.g. ape) file, you already have a lossy format, so if you're careful and stay with reasonable bitrates, I doubt you'll do much harm.

Scronch

P.S. Hey JimH - I flew through Minneapolis again this weekend, again at night.  Still a good lookin' town.

IQ10

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2002, 09:42:15 am »

There is a solution, buried in the thread below, if you own the files.
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/interact/NeoBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=inter&Post=8248&BoardIdle=7&SortingBy=0&BoardOrder=Descend&Page=0&UserSession=

[former member]
Three words forward, one deleted, leaves two for others to use.

IQ10

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2002, 06:11:19 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up