INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Matt's Return  (Read 37976 times)

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Matt's Return
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2014, 08:56:25 pm »

bloody awesome news! welcome back, Matt!
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

Mitchco

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2014, 10:41:10 pm »

Aloha Matt,

Great to see you back at the shop!

All the best,

Mitch

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2014, 09:14:58 am »

Great News! Good to hear from you on Interact.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2014, 12:35:55 pm »

As most of you probably know, Brooke, Matt's wife posts on http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/mattashland very regulary. 

This is one of my favorite posts yet.  I was shocked to see Matt in Jim's video.  He just looks and sounds great and sounds like he's even surprising his wife.  Go Matt!!! 

So good...
By Brooke and Matt Ashland — 15 hours ago

Matt continues his steady improvement. This is such an encouraging time.

He has been spending time at JRiver, when it fits with his therapy schedule and according to his energy. I am thankful that Matt has had this job he loves and for the understanding, support and encouragement Jim and the JRiver crew have given us. They have kept Matt (and his family) company at the hospital, visited and chatted with Matt as he became more aware, taken him for drives and brought him meals. The work discussions he has had with them have engaged his interest like no other topic. The team's good will and positivity toward Matt's recovery have been unwavering.

From the time Matt woke up enough to start reacting - first, with raised blood pressure and increased pulse, and later, with eye blinks - his strongest responses seemed to be for anything related to work (I also got some pretty good responses when I gave him a kiss in the ICU). So it doesn't surprise me that, according to Jim, he is doing an *amazing* job at work. I think of his time there as therapy too. We continue to monitor his energy and mood during and after these outings. No one will push him past his limit. But based on these first few outings, I could not be happier for and with him that work is once again a part of his life. Thank you, Jim. And thank you, Bob, John and the JRiver team.

After his outing this morning and an afternoon of therapy, I thought Matt might be completely wiped out tonight. He came home for the evening and even helped me grill dinner (I have been known to singe off arm hair when left alone with the grill). Later, Matt, the kids and I walked to the park. It is about 1/4 mile to the park and back. Matt did great.

At one point this evening, I mentioned something to Matt about his scars. (He has a scar on his abdomen from the feeding tube, a scar on his throat from the trach, and a large scar on his head from the craniectomy and cranioplasty.) He did not realize that he had had a feeding tube and tracheotomy. He asked me tonight to tell the story of what happened. It surprised me. I thought he knew from the many times I have told him over the months. Whenever he woke up disoriented, I would tell him briefly how he ended up there. I realized I have not done this for several weeks, maybe not since he was at Bethesda. Today I told him the story again, this time with more details, which he asked for, but keeping it simple and factual. Matt got pensive and said it was strange to hear that these things happened to him which he doesn't remember at all. I said I imagined it would feel very strange and that it might also give him a perspective on what his loved ones have been going through. He said it sure did.

Thank you, God, for this sensitive, thoughtful, kind and intelligent man I am lucky enough to call my husband. I pray for your continued healing, Sweetheart. You are a wonder and a blessing.

Love,
Brooke
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

audioriver

« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2014, 07:49:29 pm »

I'm in the office today.  It's really great all the support from the forum.  Thank you.

Welcome back Matt :) - congrats to you and your family.
Windows 10 Pro x64

psam

• World Citizen
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2014, 03:02:58 pm »

Way to go Matt!!
We are all very proud of ya!

locust

« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2014, 03:52:22 pm »

Missed this, welcome back :) great to see you active on the forum once again

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2014, 02:05:55 am »

I'm in the office today.  It's really great all the support from the forum.  Thank you.

Excellent work Matt, you must be deservedly proud and thrilled. :)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2014, 06:48:11 pm »

Matt,

Glad to have you back. Keep on a truckin!
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2014, 10:37:00 am »

Glad to hear you're doing better, Matt!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2014, 10:50:17 am »

Matt's at work again this morning for a few hours.   He stayed overnight at his home with the family on Saturday.  It was the first time since January 2.  He went down to Waseca yesterday to watch a game with his parents.

He's planning his escape from Courage Center.

FelixM

• Recent member
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2014, 12:01:43 pm »

Great news, nothing like sleep at home!!

I canīt imagine the effort you (and your family) are doing to recover from the accident, but itīs evident you can be proud of it.

Welcome back Matt.   :)
MC22, Win7, Intel 4570T, Intel HD4600, Asus H87i-Plus, 2x4GB, SSD Samsung 840Evo 1TB, PicoPSU, Fanless Streacom FC5 Evo, Denon AVR-2106, Infinity Beta 40 & C360, Panasonic TX-L39E6, Logitech Harmony 555 & IR Flirc

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2014, 02:09:40 pm »

I'm glad to hear of the progress you're making. All the best from the Netherlands!

Vincent Kars

« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2014, 03:27:35 pm »

Have a look here (post #2 of course): http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89190.0

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2014, 06:58:55 am »

Matt's at work again this morning for a few hours.   He stayed overnight at his home with the family on Saturday.  It was the first time since January 2.  He went down to Waseca yesterday to watch a game with his parents.

He's planning his escape from Courage Center.

From the path that Matt has trekked to date, I don't think he needs the Courage Centre Bravery Award (if they have one) to help motivate those plans. I reckon even Steve McQueen would wave him "bon chance" from the back of his barbed wire leaping moto (supposed to be a BMW {Standard Wehrmacht issue} but was in actual fact a Triumph):

... Sideline comment: I must say that Steve had great taste on the moto front.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2014, 01:11:21 am »

Great to see more frequent posts from Matt!
JRiver CEO Elect

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2014, 03:48:43 pm »

Great to see Matt back at work and posting on Interact! 

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #117 on: May 21, 2014, 05:18:22 pm »

Hopefully no news is great news.  Caring Bridge hasn't been updated either.
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: May 21, 2014, 06:25:36 pm »

It's mostly good.  Matt was at work for a couple of hours yesterday.  He worked with John and Bob on licensing code for Linux.  He will be back again tomorrow.

Everyone is expecting him to be out of rehab in about two weeks.  It's a good think.  He's bored with it.  I don't blame him.  He has about 4 hours of therapy a day, but that means 16 hours of sleeping, eating and waiting.  It's not his style.

I talked to Brooke today.  She has her hands full arranging for his return.  I think it is both rewarding and challenging to be moving to the next phase.

At the rate he is coming back, I think he will probably work half time for a few months and be full time by the end of the year.  A lot of brain cells were needed to learn to walk again.  That's still not finished, but he's changing quickly.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #119 on: May 21, 2014, 06:48:05 pm »

OK.  Good to hear and thanks for the update. 

My podcast:

jgreen

« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2014, 07:09:19 pm »

Having gone through (comparatively minor) rehab myself, I can tell you there WILL be a plateau.  Dealing with the frustration--and fear--and working through it is part of the recovery process.  Matt's doing so well so far because of shear will power.  But that same force of will can eat at us when the results stop coming so quickly--temporarily.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #121 on: May 22, 2014, 06:41:48 am »

Having gone through (comparatively minor) rehab myself, I can tell you there WILL be a plateau.  Dealing with the frustration--and fear--and working through it is part of the recovery process.  Matt's doing so well so far because of shear will power.  But that same force of will can eat at us when the results stop coming so quickly--temporarily.
Yes, I understand as I had to learn to walk again after an accident...but this isn't about me it's about Matt and his family. 

My podcast:

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #122 on: May 22, 2014, 11:11:06 am »

I couldn't believe it when I saw Matt responding to a post in the forum. It was such a joy to see.

Welcome back & I'm so pleased to see the rate of your recovery.

Very, very best wishes to yourself, Brooke and the rest of your family from across the water in the UK.

jgreen

« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2014, 11:39:24 am »

If the thread entitled "Matt's return" is not the appropriate place to talk about Matt's return, could somebody direct me?

Matt, I hope things are continuing to improve.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2014, 03:23:48 pm »

If the thread entitled "Matt's return" is not the appropriate place to talk about Matt's return, could somebody direct me?

Matt, I hope things are continuing to improve.

Try here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=realthreadaboutmattsreturn

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2014, 09:32:24 am »

I'm at work again today.

I got big news that tomorrow is my last day at Courage Center.  It's back home after that (where I belong).

Thanks again for all the support.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2014, 09:35:43 am »

We're really happy to have Matt back at work a little.  He's doing great.  He ditched the walker and is now walking on his own, though sometimes with a little wobble.

Yesterday, he walked from the Courage Center to the car, and when we got to work, he walked from the car to the building and up to the second floor unassisted.  

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2014, 09:39:31 am »

That is awesome news Matt!!  congratulations!!!!  Keep up the hard work, and the progress is sure to come.  You've been sorely missed around here, glad to hear about you reaching this important milestone.

Soon we'll be seeing you posting new builds again :)
pretend this is something funny

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2014, 09:40:45 am »

Just for comparison, here's where Matt was on January 17, two weeks after his fall.

He spent about a month in Hennepin County Medical Center, most of it in Intensive Care.  Then he was at Bethesda Hospital in St. Paul for another month.  He doesn't remember much of either place now.

He spent three months at Courage Center, for rehabilitation.  Several sessions each day to build strength, coordination, and stamina.  He also learned to make macaroni.

Matt has had to learn to walk all over again.  I saw some of his first steps at Bethesda.  It wasn't much, but it felt like a big triumph at the time.

We've all learned how important we are to each other.

Welcome back, Matt.  Thanks to everyone else for carrying the extra load in his absence.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2014, 10:09:22 am »

I'm at work again today.

I got big news that tomorrow is my last day at Courage Center.  It's back home after that (where I belong).

Great news, Matt.  Many, many people have been following your progress with their hopes for your recovery.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2014, 01:57:13 pm »

I'm at work again today.

Really spectacular Matt.

Be it ever so humble.......
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

apgood

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2014, 07:43:30 pm »

That's great news!!! Really happy for you and your family.

wombat66

• World Citizen
« Reply #132 on: May 30, 2014, 01:09:15 am »

Matt Rocks!!! Totally!!!!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2014, 01:26:12 am »

Excellent news.... and a big acknowledgement not only to Matt for his determination but also to the whole of his support crew (Brooke & the kids, Family, Friends, and JRiver).  Not many employers would be so actively involved.  I tip my hat.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hilton

« Reply #134 on: May 30, 2014, 09:29:52 am »

Fantastic recovery Matt.
Wonderful news that your well enough to get back to the job you love, at least some of the time, and that your family and friends have you back! 
I'm truly really happy for you and your family.  ;D
You certainly have a beautiful family and I'm sure they're appreciative of your spectacular recovery. (including the JRiver family!) :)

I hope you can leave the tough times behind you soon, but enjoy the amplified love of your family and friends from having you make it through something so scary.

JRiver's a special place with a great bunch that's for sure. 

DarkPenguin

« Reply #135 on: May 31, 2014, 08:54:21 am »

Very cool.  Glad you're back with your family.

FelixM

• Recent member
« Reply #136 on: May 31, 2014, 02:02:35 pm »

Congratulations!!

Enjoy your incredible family at home and at work (when you can).

Every time I read good news about you, it makes me have a big smile   :)

Keep the good work!!

MC22, Win7, Intel 4570T, Intel HD4600, Asus H87i-Plus, 2x4GB, SSD Samsung 840Evo 1TB, PicoPSU, Fanless Streacom FC5 Evo, Denon AVR-2106, Infinity Beta 40 & C360, Panasonic TX-L39E6, Logitech Harmony 555 & IR Flirc

CountryBumkin

« Reply #137 on: June 01, 2014, 03:10:16 pm »

Welcome back Matt!
Glad to see your back on the forum and helping people again.

srwooten

• Recent member
« Reply #138 on: June 01, 2014, 06:44:57 pm »

Splendid news Matt! I wish you and your family all the best! Take good care and keep on keepin' on!  ;D

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #139 on: June 01, 2014, 10:35:29 pm »

I just want to echo the heartfelt comments made above.  It's so great to hear Matt say he going "Home". 

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #140 on: June 02, 2014, 09:43:39 am »

We're really happy to have Matt back at work a little.  He's doing great.  He ditched the walker and is now walking on his own, though sometimes with a little wobble.

Yesterday, he walked from the Courage Center to the car, and when we got to work, he walked from the car to the building and up to the second floor unassisted.  

you Look buff, slim and trim.

Nice smile.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #141 on: June 02, 2014, 10:36:13 am »

Welcome back Matt. You gave us all a big scare.

Glad your back at home now.

John

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #142 on: June 03, 2014, 11:37:51 am »

Matt, so glad to hear you're home again.  You have a wonderful wife.  She is taking great care of you.

Take your time.

ronkupper

• Recent member
« Reply #143 on: June 04, 2014, 03:16:57 am »

I've been a silent reader for some time and almost every heavy question or request I looked at ended up with Matt explaining it or actually making it happen in the code.
Wasn't hard to realize Matt is an audio software hero.

Stumbling upon the story of what happen was the biggest news for me Yesterday, and I live in Israel ;-) 
I am thrilled to see that he recovered so well!

All the best wishes for Matt and his familiy!

Ron
HTPC (Origen ae) | Fronts: Quadral Platinum M50 | Sub: JL Audio E112 | Center: Quadral Platinum M10 Base | Surrounds: Morel SP2 | Power: Emotiva XPA-5 | Pro: Emotiva UMC-200 | TV: Panasonic P50S60 | XTZ Room Analyzer II Pro | Dirac Live Full

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #144 on: June 15, 2014, 01:17:09 pm »

Matt,

I hope you and your family are enjoying Father's Day.   :)

My podcast:

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #145 on: June 15, 2014, 02:54:21 pm »

Matt, Happy Father's Day!!! It's great having you back at JRiver and Interact.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #146 on: June 16, 2014, 12:48:12 am »

Big thumbs up to all the healthcare peeps too. I guess they're 'only doing their job' but even so...

Matt's definitely getting there... he's even made a 'this is by design' post recently!!

Great stuff Matt, lovely to see you around the place again. My girls all asked me for an update at the weekend. I firmly believe that such good will can span the globe. Take care getting back up to speed though, OK?

-marko

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #147 on: June 16, 2014, 08:44:35 am »

Thanks so much everyone.  It's really heart warming to have the good wishes from around the globe.

I feel totally normal now.  I suppose there could be some lasting effects, but I don't know what they are (because I have a brain injury) :P
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jgreen

« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2014, 12:29:01 pm »

Good point.  Every now and then you might want to turn around really quickly to check if your co-workers are pointing at you and rolling their eyes.

Z0001

« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2014, 05:30:55 pm »

Great news to hear you are recovering so well Matt. Welcome back

Zeno
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up