INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My OPPO can't see JRiver  (Read 5026 times)

pvanosta

• Recent member
My OPPO can't see JRiver
« on: April 14, 2014, 09:43:28 pm »

I installed JRiver and I THINK I configured the DLNA server as far as I can tell.
I'm running on a windows 8.1 PC.

In my main room, my OPPO is connected to my LAN. It can play and see the same file library on Twonky and Mezzmo, but I don't see JRiver.

What am I missing or doing wrong?

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: My OPPO can't see JRiver
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 04:46:19 am »

Difficult to say since you haven't said exactly what you've done!  Read this first and make sure you've followed the instructions. http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 05:03:32 am »

Any advice from Oppo about setting up DNLA?

Often Twonky servers are relatively easy to find on networks. Maybe the same for Mezzmo.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 05:09:40 am »

In my main room, my OPPO is connected to my LAN. It can play and see the same file library on Twonky and Mezzmo, but I don't see JRiver.
What am I missing or doing wrong?

Follow csimon's advice above..
Make sure MC's Media Server is enabled: Tools ¦ Options ¦ Media Network
Make sure MC's Media Server is started: Tools ¦ Options ¦ Start Up

Any advice from Oppo about setting up DNLA?

Nope. There is nothing to set up. Just turn it on and connect it to the LAN.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

pvanosta

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 04:05:48 pm »

Well...

Both MC and Media server are set to 'ON' in the 'Startup' options.
Generic DLNA server is selected.

Anything else I need to check?

On the Oppo, I still do not see anything related to JRiver. What I DO see, is what looks like a new SHARE (a PC/Server like icon with the name of my desktop PC). That however, I cannot access because it asks me for some username / password which I have no idea about.

I thought this was supposed to work like Twonky or Mezzmo, where you make sure it's running on the PC and the Oppo can see, browse and play...

Still seems I am missing something.

csimon

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 04:24:12 pm »

The name of the server that you will see in DLNA clients is set up in the DLNA settings (Media Network/Add or Configure DLNA Servers, then Display Name). Also check that you haven't got authentication turned on, in the top level Media Network menu. (I don't think that should affect the DLNA server but turn it off just in case).  DLNA Server also needs to be turned on (Media Network/Advanced)

It does work, trust me!  It should just be a case of turning it on.  Is it perhaps a Windows Firewall issue?  Is MC listed as an allowable program in your firewall?

pvanosta

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 05:06:14 pm »

Thanks csimon

I will check those additional things when I get home.

pvanosta

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 11:22:35 am »

Still no joy. I verified the settings I am aware of in JRiver on my PC.

JRiver can see my OPPO because I see it listed in the top left of the screen.

On the OPPO however, I only see the following:

1. Twonky (works fine)
2. Mezzmo (works fine)
3. My laptop (just happens to be on the same wifi network and has no use in the sound system)
4. Something that looks like a share from my desktop PC. However, when I try to access it, it immediately asks me for a login and password. I have tried any login ID and password combination I can think of, including what I use to sign on to my desktop PC. Nothing works. I don't want to access a share or whatever this is. I want to pull music from the JRiver library in the same way I do with Twonky.

I am reasonably PC literate (I used to build my own PC's for gaming purposes etc.). I am reasonable network and software literate (I got Mezzmo and Twonky libraries configured, including configuring the Twonky config files to stream DSD files to the OPPO.

And yet, I cannot get JRiver to perform even the most basic tasks (allow the OPPO to pull and play music).

This is extremely frustrating and I expect more from the declared leader in this space.

pvanosta

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 12:21:02 pm »

OK, I am nothing if not stubborn. I just got a whole lot closer.

I installed a remote control app on my Ipad. I went back to JRiver MC on my PC with the OPPO powered on. When trying to connect to it, I got a message about network access / firewall access. Once I allowed the app through the pc firewall onto the local network, I was able to see the JRiver icon on the oppo and I was able to pick the Oppo as a 'zone' on the Ipad remote app.

I am playing hi-rez audio as I write this.

One last niggle: I don;t get track info on the Oppo/TV (artist, album, track name, file type, resolution). Any suggestions on how I do that?

Now I have to go and create new playlists in MC so I can find my way in my library...

pvanosta

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 12:40:13 pm »

correction on the niggly bit:
I am missing all on screen track info only when playing hi-rez files (24/196 and DSD).

Also: how do I know / where can I see that MC is playing my files in the original format (e.g. flac 24/196 and not mp3 320kps)?

Thanks for all your help so far.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 01:32:33 pm »

correction on the niggly bit:
I am missing all on screen track info only when playing hi-rez files (24/196 and DSD).

This is a confirmed problem with the Oppo.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

csimon

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 01:53:17 pm »

Also: how do I know / where can I see that MC is playing my files in the original format (e.g. flac 24/196 and not mp3 320kps)?

You're using DLNA therefore MC is not playing the file, the renderer (Oppo) is. But MC may convert the file first, especially if the renderer does not support a format. Go into the settings for the DLNA sever and check what the output format is. (add or configure DLNA server). If Original then MC is not doing any converting.

pvanosta

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 10:36:31 am »

Thanks CSimon, I had it set to original.

I have a more generic question around the managing of very large libraries but I will do a search first and start a new thread if I can't find the answer.
Thank you all for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up