INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Defining Media Renderer  (Read 3675 times)

RonB

• Recent member
Defining Media Renderer
« on: April 22, 2014, 12:22:08 am »

I'm in trial period, but will buy. I think JRiver is by far the best package for what I want to do. (I really dislike iTunes for several reasons.) I have nearly 3000 CDs and plan to rip many of them and store them on a Synology NAS. Players are a NAD receiver fed by a Squeezebox and an Onkyo Receiver, both  connected wirelessly to the same LAN. I can already play music files created by MC on both systems, but need to spend more time on catalog structure and audio options. I think I can figure all that out by searching forums, Wiki and Google.

I've spent quite a bit of time though, so far without success, on how to set up an Android tablet as a remote. Selecting music without one is impractical. I've downloaded Gizmo, and can use it to tell MC what to play on the Win 8.1 PC that runs MC. Maybe I can eventually figure out how to setup the MC zones for the Squeezebox and Onkyo, but would appreciate any help someone gave me to get there faster. After searching the forums, I think I'm going to need Whitebear for the Squeezebox, but haven't downloaded it yet. I can specify zone names in MC, but am lost on telling it which renderer is associated with a zone. Maybe there's a FAQ or forum thread I haven't found yet?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Defining Media Renderer
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 02:26:18 am »

Hi RonB, and Welcome.

When you use Whitebear, you'll have a better experience than using LMS' DLNA plug-in (disable it if you use Whitebear).  Your SBs will show up as zones in MC.  Enable MCs Media Network.

I can't respond to the Android remote questions, maybe someone will have a suggestion soon.  Many of us use iPads wit the excellent JRemote for remote playback.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 07:48:23 am »

Anything you can play to should show up ine list in Gizmo.  When you start it, you select a source and a destination.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the kind words.

RonB

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 01:47:16 am »

Hi RonB, and Welcome.

When you use Whitebear, you'll have a better experience than using LMS' DLNA plug-in (disable it if you use Whitebear).  Your SBs will show up as zones in MC.  Enable MCs Media Network.

I can't respond to the Android remote questions, maybe someone will have a suggestion soon.  Many of us use iPads wit the excellent JRemote for remote playback.

Thanks for info!

RonB

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 01:49:49 am »

Anything you can play to should show up ine list in Gizmo.  When you start it, you select a source and a destination.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the kind words.

Thanks, Jim!

RonB

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 05:08:27 pm »

Thanks to MrC and JimH, I can now use Gizmo (on an Android tablet) to select music for a Squeezebox and a PC. But Gizmo isn't listing my Onkyo receiver as an available destination. I can still select and play PC music-files on it. (Though selecting isn't much fun on a two-line text screen). So I know the receiver is on the network and can accept a stream. I'm sure I'm not understanding the use of zones. Is that my problem, or might it be something unique to Onkyo DLNA? (Note: I haven't installed Whitebear yet.)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 06:19:34 pm »

Not all DLNA devices work as Renderers.  

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA

MrC

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 07:19:14 pm »

I have an Integra, and have to be in the Net > DLNA mode on the receiver before it will be seen in MC and then pushed to.

RonB

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 07:46:53 pm »

There are posts on the forum complaining about the Onkyo TX 8050 not supporting gapless, so there must be a way to get MC to see the receiver. (Though the posts I've seen refer to MC 17 and I'm running 19.) I have tried switching the receiver to Net/DNLA, still no joy (as I've seen some posters say on other subjects).

Again, I know DNLA works because I can request a file from the Onkyo and play it. I've just updated with the receiver's latest firmware -- seems to have speeded some things up. I'll keep playing to see if the latest firmware changes anything. Thanks for replies. 

MrC

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 07:54:25 pm »

There are two modes of operation to DLNA, in short.  You can PULL (from the Onkyo) or you can PUSH (to the Onkyo).  You're successfullly PULLing.  To PUSH, you'll have to check two things:

1. that your model supports PUSH
   2. that your firewall on your MC system is open and allowing the DLNA announcements

RonB

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 05:36:46 pm »

Just to close this thread off: After getting help from NetGear and Onkyo techs, I gave up on wireless Onkyo TX 8050 connection. My best guess is that the Onkyo dongle isn't working correctly. In any event, rather than buying a replacement wifi adapter, I connected via Ethernet cable to the router and Gizmo can now push to the Onkyo receiver. Now my problem is making the cable less conspicuous, but this probably isn't the place for interior decorating advice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up