INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library management without occupying the HTPC?  (Read 2077 times)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Library management without occupying the HTPC?
« on: May 11, 2014, 03:43:40 pm »

(This Q comes from someone who has been linux only, until jriver, for a long time)

Given a vanilla windows 8 pro machine, what options do I have for managing (ripping, tagging, etc) the library without interfering with the PC itself? Is it just a case of having to install windows on another machine or doing it from there? all media is on a separate server on the same wired network btw.

Am I right in thinking the linux version would be ok managing the audio side of it or is it not allowed to share ownership of a library across multiple OS?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
Re: Library management without occupying the HTPC?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 10:20:11 am »

without interfering with the PC itself?

Need a better explanation of what you mean by "interfering with the PC."

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 10:28:58 am »

Need a better explanation of what you mean by "interfering with the PC."
HTPC can stay in theatre view mode and be used for watching/listening

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 10:47:50 am »

HTPC can stay in theatre view mode and be used for watching/listening

The easiest way would be to use Library Server + Authentication, enable "Automatically sync changes" and use the standard display on your second computer to edit and manage the library.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 11:15:07 am »

The easiest way would be to use Library Server + Authentication, enable "Automatically sync changes" and use the standard display on your second computer to edit and manage the library.

Even easier is to use another PC that has it's own unique copy of the library pointing to the same media location as the HTPC.

Over here - my workstation is the "edit" station and has it's own unique copy of an MC library. On this station is where I add all our media, edit tags, drop stuff, move stuff etc etc. But since the actual media I am adding and editing and changing is in the same spot as where the HTPC gets it's stuff from - it's as easy as making changes here (on my edit workstation) and have the HTPC set to automatically scan for changes.

We leave our HTPC in Theatre Mode forever - but when we fire it up for movies (Projector) or music (JRemote) or as a remote client (movies/music on the desktop PCs etc)...all the latest and greatest changes are there waiting ready to enjoy.

Now - I do have a weekly maintenance routine where I pop onto the HTPC via RDP and check it out - but I do zero library maintenance during these maintenance windows. The HTPC master library - that serves our clients - essentially updates itself non-stop as it scans and records media changes - as delivered from my standalone edit workstation.

Also - the MC library on my edit station is much more technical in nature (special views, utility smartlists etc) so serving this kind of library to the family makes no sense as they would not understand it all all. So I simply use the tech workstation library to do all media maintenance and feed the more "basic" library that is our master on the HTPC.

VP

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 11:49:26 am »

Even easier is to use another PC that has it's own unique copy of the library pointing to the same media location as the HTPC.

Over here - my workstation is the "edit" station and has it's own unique copy of an MC library. On this station is where I add all our media, edit tags, drop stuff, move stuff etc etc. But since the actual media I am adding and editing and changing is in the same spot as where the HTPC gets it's stuff from - it's as easy as making changes here (on my edit workstation) and have the HTPC set to automatically scan for changes.

We leave our HTPC in Theatre Mode forever - but when we fire it up for movies (Projector) or music (JRemote) or as a remote client (movies/music on the desktop PCs etc)...all the latest and greatest changes are there waiting ready to enjoy...

the MC library on my edit station is much more technical in nature (special views, utility smartlists etc) so serving this kind of library to the family makes no sense as they would not understand it all all. So I simply use the tech workstation library to do all media maintenance and feed the more "basic" library that is our master on the HTPC.

I do something similar, but this method doesn't allow me to publish new views (re-arrange Theater View, for example) to the HTPC.  For this, I have to backup the library on my laptop, then restore it on the HTPC, but this copies all views and changes to the HTPC, which, like you, I don't necessarily want on the HTPC.

I'm hoping that a better method of sharing views is developed, so that I can just send the new Theater View (or whatever view/change) to the HTPC, and not the whole library.  Also, this would allow users to share views amongst ourselves, which I think everyone could appreciate.
pretend this is something funny

Vocalpoint

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 12:38:50 pm »

I do something similar, but this method doesn't allow me to publish new views (re-arrange Theater View, for example) to the HTPC.  For this, I have to backup the library on my laptop, then restore it on the HTPC, but this copies all views and changes to the HTPC, which, like you, I don't necessarily want on the HTPC.

For those views that I want on the HTPC - I just export them out of my edit machine and import them into the HTPC lib. But that's rare - our published HTPC views are dead simple and with the family pretty much ignoring them anyway - having a ton of fancy views doesn't really matter.

All they want to do is click on a album or movie cover and have the thing play:)

VP

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 02:18:55 pm »

Interesting replies. Thanks.

I don't follow, probably because I don't understand where all the metadata lives. I can see there are the xml docs alongside the media itself which seems to be where the assorted file specific metadata is located but if these files contain the metadata then what is actually in the library itself? Just the application configuration (like zones, views and so on) or something else?

the fundamental point though is that a 2nd windows machine is a requirement at the present time, correct?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 02:30:27 pm »

I don't follow, probably because I don't understand where all the metadata lives. I can see there are the xml docs alongside the media itself which seems to be where the assorted file specific metadata is located but if these files contain the metadata then what is actually in the library itself? Just the application configuration (like zones, views and so on) or something else?
An MC library stores everything about everything pretty much. From file paths, to system settings and a "copy" of the file metadata. The actual metadata is embedded directly into my files - but since that editing happens using MC tools - that data becomes part of the library as soon as the album or movie is "published" Published here means moving it from the media staging area (the "shop") out to the server. When it hits the server share - the HTPC does it's thing - reading all new files, updating changed files, recording file paths etc.

Bottom line - since I have two libraries - one on the edit machine and one on the HTPC - there are two unique copies of all my file metadata...each file is represented in two libraries.

the fundamental point though is that a 2nd windows machine is a requirement at the present time, correct?

Over here is is. Think of my layout as a single edit station in one room with it's own unique library. Then 4 other machines - HTPC and three additional clients that use the library from the HTPC - which runs Library Server.

Also - I never actually connect to the HTPC library server with my edit machine. It always accesses and plays from it's own unique library - installed locally on the box.

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up