INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IR remote and rdp  (Read 1452 times)

tooony

• Recent member
IR remote and rdp
« on: May 29, 2014, 06:34:11 am »

Hi, have searched this with no luck so I thought I'd ask...
Is there any way of having my IR remote working with MC19 when I am connected with Windows Remote Desktop? (It works when not connected via RDP.)
the remote shows up as a HID, so Windows is disregarding the input (as it is local input and I am connected remotely).

But can MC19 use it anyway? The device shows up in the Device Manager, so it is accessible from inside the remote session. Just not via the usual Windows HID API I'd guess.

(And no: VNC is not the answer. It is a bad workaround. It is much slower and just makes me annoyed when trying to use it for more than very simple tasks. ;) )

tooony

• Recent member
Re: IR remote and rdp
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 12:31:08 pm »

I take that as a "no" then.
Or rather that no-one knows the answer.  ;D

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 08:10:51 pm »

It may be more of a question about RDP.  The IR signal isn't passed transparently.

Maybe you could find a solution using MC's networking so that you don't need to use RDP.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 02:16:38 am »

Have you tried it when connecting to the console. Either use the command line option /console, or tick it under options.

tooony

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 05:00:38 am »

It may be more of a question about RDP.  The IR signal isn't passed transparently.

Maybe you could find a solution using MC's networking so that you don't need to use RDP.
Its IR signal is transparent to the naked eye. ;-)
But it its a matter of the HID (Human Input Device) not being used. The remote is seen as a type of keyboard, and the remote dektop session don't directly use local HIDs as input. But it is still there and could be used directly by MC if that is in the code of the program. And that was my question...

tooony

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 05:01:10 am »

Have you tried it when connecting to the console. Either use the command line option /console, or tick it under options.
I'm afraid I don't understand what you are suggesting...

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 05:56:21 am »

By default, RDP connects to a hidden session and locks the "console", being the session that would be visible on a monitor or TV connected to the pc you're connecting to.

By using the commandline switch "/console", you force RDP to connect to the console, the "main" session if you wish.

However, I'm just reading that this is only supported on server editions of Windows and (apologies) I'm too lazy to look it up to be sure. A quick search should help you find more info on it if wish to give this a try.

tooony

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 09:08:00 am »

Ah, OK then I get it. Thanks for the tip!
Did a bit of reading and it seems it is only supported up until Windows 2003 server (and maybe XP), but nothing later.
When I tried it on my Windows 8.1 media machine the USB DAC disappeared from the list of WASAPI devices. With a normal RDP connection it stays available.
Pages: [1]   Go Up