INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote - Feature Requests  (Read 9472 times)

Mars

• World Citizen
JRemote - Feature Requests
« on: May 30, 2014, 05:43:20 pm »

Some feature requests I'd like to be considered in next releases of this great App  ;D

iPhone App:
  • Bigger fonts for at least for Name and Artist at the Playing Now screen
  • Landscape mode at the playing now screen
  • Stop Playback when switching off the Bluetooth device through which sound was being routed (i.e. when turning off Car Stereo)
  • Option to jump to Playing Now screen when tapping a file

General:
  • Last Played field update on the server when "This device" zone is chosen

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRemote - Feature Requests
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 07:06:29 pm »

Mars,

You may want to put this in the main JRemote thread.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89108.msg614729#new

Cheers!
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 03:49:17 am »

• Bigger fonts for at least for Name and Artist at the Playing Now screen
The font size should scale with your accessibility setting on the device.

Mars

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 12:37:58 pm »

The font size should scale with your accessibility setting on the device.

Unfortunately, font size doesn't scale in the Playing Now screen, nor in the active Playlist list view, as though it does in the others:

Blamo

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 10:23:36 pm »

OK, I have MC19 for Mac and the JRemote.  I love this combination and think the JRemote has great potential.  I mainly use JRemote to stream from my music server to my iPhone while traveling in my car.  A few things would make this app perfect:
1.  Buffer next song in play list to minimize intermittent slow connection speed
2.  Landscape mode - my phone is usually horizontal when used in my car
3.  Cache the played songs to the phone for offline play
4.  Gapless playback when streaming

Folks - awesome combination you have.

Blaine

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 06:00:43 am »

The next song will start to download about 10 seconds before the current song ends. Are you having issues with pauses between songs?
Gapless should work fine when transcoding is disabled. When transcoding to MP3 you will get small gaps. Will see if there is anything to do about this.

Will try to add Landscape mode in now playing for next version. Should not be a problem, but all controls will probably not fit, so a different layout may be used.

Downloading files locally will be added to a later version. This is quite a bit of work if done properly, but much requested.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 10:27:54 am »

Downloading files locally will be added to a later version. This is quite a bit of work if done properly, but much requested.
Fantastic news. I look forward to this one especially with video support too.

Mikeau

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 01:21:51 am »

Loving the JRiver/JRemote combination. A nice feature would be to be able to set JRemote so it starts in a desired " zone" i.e. "Player" or " This device"
I know it's only a tap on the screen to change it but it would be nice to be able to have an option to set a preference for this.

Cheers,

Mike

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 04:23:29 am »

JRemote will remember the last zone used and start with that. If you want to always start with "this device", you can toggle a switch on the server settings. From the settings view, tap the blue "i" next to the server.

Mikeau

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 11:29:05 pm »

JRemote will remember the last zone used and start with that. If you want to always start with "this device", you can toggle a switch on the server settings. From the settings view, tap the blue "i" next to the server.

Thanks, couldn't find it for looking, all good now.

Mike

sunfire7

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 01:58:19 am »

When transcoding to MP3 you will get small gaps. Will see if there is anything to do about this.
I hope it can be fixed.

Finally! Thanks for this.
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

Blamo

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 06:41:08 pm »

The next song will start to download about 10 seconds before the current song ends. Are you having issues with pauses between songs?
Gapless should work fine when transcoding is disabled. When transcoding to MP3 you will get small gaps. Will see if there is anything to do about this.

Will try to add Landscape mode in now playing for next version. Should not be a problem, but all controls will probably not fit, so a different layout may be used.

I have gaps between songs that can last until the connection speed increases - 10, 20 seconds.  That's not the norm, but it happens far more often than I like.  I can see the little progress bar is not moving so I assume that there is no data being received.  I have used Subsonic / iSub for years.  iSub solves this problem by beginning to buffer the next song as soon as the currently playing song has been 100% buffered.  Rarely do I have a problem with that.  I know that gapless playback was a problem for iSub but they eventually resolved it - not perfect, but almost perfect!  I can live with that.  As far as landscape goes, maybe you could consider swipes for forward and reverse.  I don't think that an on screen volume control is necessary since the hard buttons can handle that.  Pause/play could be a screen touch in a large area - you don't need a visible button for that.  Take a look at the interface for a program called CarTunes.  It's pretty interesting how they avoid buttons to make it easier to navigate the interface without hitting a telephone pole!  Anyway, thanks for your interest and response.  You folks are doing a nice job.

Blaine

Blamo

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 08:23:57 pm »

A quick update on gaps between songs.  I just updated to 3.06.  I transcode everything to 128 kbps and stream to my iPhone 5.  When reaching the end of the song, there is an average delay of 3 to 5 seconds before the next song starts.  When the next song finally starts, the green buffer bar is not even visible but after ten seconds it seems to get well ahead of the playback cursor.  My hypothesis is that the prefetch during the last ten seconds of the previous song is not happening.  I don't know what's under the hood of the application but another possibility is that it takes more than ten seconds to re-establish the connection to the server.  My server is on the internet via satellite so maybe that's an issue.  Is there something I am missing?  A setting somewhere?  Just to be clear - this ain't the worst thing in my life.  Any info or fix would be greatly appreciated.

Should I put this on the 3.05 thread?

Blaine

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 02:46:53 pm »

Blamo, 10 seconds is usually more than enough time to cache the next track for gapless playback.
You say that it could be your connection, but how is the speed in other areas of the app, like loading lists and covers?

Blamo

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 03:00:22 pm »

Blamo, 10 seconds is usually more than enough time to cache the next track for gapless playback.
You say that it could be your connection, but how is the speed in other areas of the app, like loading lists and covers?
Well, since upgrading to 3.06 when playing a playlist, it is now stopping after each track.  I have tried to turned off the repeat mode, enable/disable stop after each track, reset JRemote, reset MC19 for Mac and cannot get JRemote to automatically start the next track in the play list.  If I hit the >>| button, it starts the next track.  What am I missing?

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 01:53:04 pm »

Please try the new 3.07 version once it is out.
I have changed it a bit so the next track will start to download earlier.

I am not able to replicate the behaviour you are seeing here on a WIFI connection (Can make the connection good or bad depending on my position in the house).
Will do some more tests with the mobile network.

Blamo

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 08:39:10 pm »

Thanks, I'll download it as soon as I see it.  Just a note here:  mostly, I stream over cellular.

pcstockton

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 11:33:12 pm »

Cellular??  What year is it?  Wireless, 3G, 4G etc....
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

Blamo

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 06:01:45 pm »

Cellular??  What year is it?  Wireless, 3G, 4G etc....

It's all of them, 3G, 4G, LTE on AT&T and satellite for my home internet connection.  I used the generic term "cellular" to differentiate it from WiFi since Lespaul was testing on a WiFi connection.  Oh, yes, it's 2014.

pcstockton

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 09:57:42 am »

Sorry bud... was just having fun.

mantis07

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 02:28:56 pm »

I would love for the 'I' button to be available with search results.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 03:41:29 am »

Adding metadata to search results will be added in a later release.
This will only apply to "Flat" search results and results in a group.

mysticisgod

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 04:24:58 pm »

I have 2 feature requests:

1. It would be great to add a "Albums by Year" folder in the Audio section which would group all albums in the year they were released.

2. A sync button (unless I'm missing something). Right now if I add an album to MC19 (Mac) the only way for it to show up on JRemote (iPad) is to quite (not close) the app and restart it and the album will be there.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 05:04:03 pm »

I have 2 feature requests:

1. It would be great to add a "Albums by Year" folder in the Audio section which would group all albums in the year they were released.

You can do this yourself by customising the views in MC. I won`t go into too much detail on this now, but will write a detailed sticky on this subject soon.
Start by looking at the views in Tools > Options > Media Network > Advanced > "Customize views for Gizmo & WebGizmo". These are the views that JRemote and other remotes use.

2. A sync button (unless I'm missing something). Right now if I add an album to MC19 (Mac) the only way for it to show up on JRemote (iPad) is to quite (not close) the app and restart it and the album will be there.

These views are cached in JRemote. The new version out now (3.07) includes a refresh button in each view that you can use for this exact situation.
If you have made a lot of changes it may be easier to just reconnect to your server from settings. This will clear the cache for all views.

mysticisgod

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 05:32:48 pm »

Thanks for the help. Just downloading 3.07 now and i'll look at that in MC.

pompon

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 12:08:43 pm »

Features request for JRemote :

-   Permit to see photos in the album directory.
Several people scan the cover, back, cd and the booklets and put the pictures in the album directory.
When in album mode (track left and picture right or in the full screen) permit to swipe with finger the picture left/right to cycle toward all pictures in the directory will be a very very nice feature!

Bug :
-   I have often to kill jremote and reload it to have back the pictures of the album.
I have almost 4000 albums in my library and my album pictures are scans at 600dpi (they large size like 2500x2500 pixels).

RichB

• Recent member
  • Oppo Beta Group
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2014, 10:28:52 am »

This is a very nice update.

Minor nit: On the white screen, the process is rectangle is also white, it might look better in gray or blue so it is easier to see.

- Rich

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2014, 05:04:56 pm »

-   Permit to see photos in the album directory.
Several people scan the cover, back, cd and the booklets and put the pictures in the album directory.
When in album mode (track left and picture right or in the full screen) permit to swipe with finger the picture left/right to cycle toward all pictures in the directory will be a very very nice feature!

I agree, in addition to images it could also contain pdf documents.
For this feature we need an addition to the webservice. I`ll see if it can be added.

Bug :
-   I have often to kill JRemote and reload it to have back the pictures of the album.
I have almost 4000 albums in my library and my album pictures are scans at 600dpi (they large size like 2500x2500 pixels).

Are you talking about no images getting downloaded to your device until you restart? I have seen this behaviour a couple of times in an earlier release. If this is still a problem for you I will try to track down the cause.

RichB

• Recent member
  • Oppo Beta Group
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2014, 11:15:23 pm »

I agree, in addition to images it could also contain pdf documents.
For this feature we need an addition to the webservice. I`ll see if it can be added.

Are you talking about no images getting downloaded to your device until you restart? I have seen this behaviour a couple of times in an earlier release. If this is still a problem for you I will try to track down the cause.

For the black, you could just replace the "I" with an X.
For white, you could move the buttons to the top bar, I did that with paint but it doesn't look good.
Maybe if they had a different graphic, but I think I to X is a good transition.

The black change would work and leave the white alone.
Just some random thoughts, FWIW

- Rich

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2014, 03:27:26 pm »

Would it be possible for MP4 videos that are not being transcoded, to use bookmarks?
While transcoding is too demanding (at least until hardware acceleration is used) it was nice to have videos resume from the same point on my iPad as where I was last watching them on the PC.

For the black, you could just replace the "I" with an X.
I don't really have time to spend on this right now, but two X's on each corner of the screen that perform different tasks is horrible UX.

RichB

• Recent member
  • Oppo Beta Group
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2014, 05:17:00 pm »

Would it be possible for MP4 videos that are not being transcoded, to use bookmarks?
While transcoding is too demanding (at least until hardware acceleration is used) it was nice to have videos resume from the same point on my iPad as where I was last watching them on the PC.
I don't really have time to spend on this right now, but two X's on each corner of the screen that perform different tasks is horrible UX.

Yep, maybe a circle I for info and that turns into a circle X.
If the Current views put the X in a non-scrolling area it is fine..

- Rich

RichB

• Recent member
  • Oppo Beta Group
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2014, 05:20:41 pm »

I like the "Artist Bio" information from Last.fm.

Could a link be provided to the artists data?

- Rich

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2014, 02:50:38 am »

I like the "Artist Bio" information from Last.fm.

Could a link be provided to the artists data?

- Rich

Yes, I have been thinking of adding some more data here. Maybe a few links that would open in a browser component would be best.

pompon

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2014, 10:36:04 pm »

Yes, I still have this problem.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2014, 07:20:49 am »

pompon,

Are there any certain circumstances where this will happen or does it seem random?

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2014, 04:14:44 pm »

A feature I would love would be to have Artists displayed when playing Internet Radio (when available of course). Some stations feed that information, and JRiver does display it on its display bar. Sadly however, JRemote does not - at least as far as I can tell. The AVRO stations for the Netherlands are a good example. One could use http://icecast.omroep.nl:80/radio4-klassieken-bb-mp3 as a test.

RichB

• Recent member
  • Oppo Beta Group
Re: JRemote - Alpha Index
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2014, 06:57:46 pm »

The Alpha index has been removed from album artwork display.
This is a very nice display and it was much more convenient to search using the index.
The circles have no advantage IMO.

- Rich

cobzilla

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2014, 09:21:31 pm »

1. View buffering status - While in locations with sketchy signal, would be nice to see a buffering bar to know how fast song is buffering.

2. Adjust buffering - Would like to be able to manually lengthen the buffer - Though, auto-adjusting the buffer based on signal or throughput would be killer.

3. Option to buffer vs stutter - Seems like when the buffer runs out, it just keeps trying to play, so it stutters. I'd personally rather just wait for the buffer to fill than listen to a stuttering song.

4. Auto-reduce bitrate - When buffer can't keep up, lower the bit-rate. Would need to switch this on and off quickly.

5. Stream through VST - This is probably a long-shot. I use VST plugins for EQ and sometimes a little compression. Would be nice to be able to stream music that passes through the VST processing on the way out.

5a. VST setups per zone - Would be different in my car vs living room.

cobzilla

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2014, 09:25:42 pm »

6. Need a shortcut for changing transcoding - Either a shortcut to get to settings, instead of having to go all the way back to the main menu or just a shortcut to change transcoding, maybe make the little bitrate status in the lower right corner active to bring up the transcoding selection. I change transcoding often when traveling and off wi-fi.

7. Offline Mode....

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2014, 08:31:21 am »

The Alpha index has been removed from album artwork display.
This is a very nice display and it was much more convenient to search using the index.
The circles have no advantage IMO.

- Rich

The circles are technically correct, since the thumbnail view is not actually ordered in any way.
The alphabet will fail on views like "Recent" that is ordered by date.

Quite a few people have complained about this, so I`ll add it back in until a better solution is ready.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2014, 08:35:11 am »

6. Need a shortcut for changing transcoding - Either a shortcut to get to settings, instead of having to go all the way back to the main menu or just a shortcut to change transcoding, maybe make the little bitrate status in the lower right corner active to bring up the transcoding selection. I change transcoding often when traveling and off wi-fi.

I assume you are using an iPhone.
Swipe from the left edge goes back to previous view, but a swipe from the center will reveal the menu.

I get that this is not obvious, so I intend to add a help popup for this in an upcoming release.

RichB

• Recent member
  • Oppo Beta Group
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2014, 10:46:22 am »

The circles are technically correct, since the thumbnail view is not actually ordered in any way.
The alphabet will fail on views like "Recent" that is ordered by date.

Quite a few people have complained about this, so I`ll add it back in until a better solution is ready.

Great.

I primarily use them for file and artist and they make sense.
Circles could be used where that fails.

- Rich

bMinor

• World Citizen
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2014, 01:18:32 pm »

would love to see 'balance control' in JRemote!

RichB

• Recent member
  • Oppo Beta Group
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2014, 02:01:56 pm »

In the latest version, I noticed that the sound device can be selected.
This is a nice feature for folks like me that want to listen for differences.

For the HA-1, the current device was WASAPI Event but it was shown as Direct Sound.
I would love to be able to change the audio parameters and have them take effect immediately as it does in Foobar2000.

- Rich

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2014, 03:26:24 pm »

In the latest version, I noticed that the sound device can be selected.
This is a nice feature for folks like me that want to listen for differences.

For the HA-1, the current device was WASAPI Event but it was shown as Direct Sound.
I would love to be able to change the audio parameters and have them take effect immediately as it does in Foobar2000.

- Rich

That feature has actually been there for a few months:)
It is working very well for me personally, I use it all the time.

Not sure I get the issue. Is it showing the wrong input and/or you are not able to switch?

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2014, 03:42:41 pm »

would love to see 'balance control' in JRemote!

I believe balance control in MC is only available via Room Correction or Parametric equlizer in DSP Studio.
The parametric equalizer has lots of options, so implementing a full featured version in the remote would take some time and planning.

Something to consider for a later version.

RichB

• Recent member
  • Oppo Beta Group
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2014, 04:18:10 pm »

That feature has actually been there for a few months:)
It is working very well for me personally, I use it all the time.

Not sure I get the issue. Is it showing the wrong input and/or you are not able to switch?

WASAPI does not show as a sound driver choice. It displays as Direct Sound. Kernel Streaming and ASIO are displayed.
When you switch the driver, it does not take effect until you start and stop the playback.
This is they way it works in JRiver so it is not a JRemote issue. However, Foobar2000 allows changing the driver and bit-depth while playing to make comparisons.

- Rich

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2014, 12:05:02 am »

Are you using XP?

RichB

• Recent member
  • Oppo Beta Group
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2014, 06:27:21 am »

Are you using XP?

Windows 8.1.

- Rich

sunfire7

JRemote - Feature Requests
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2014, 11:37:23 pm »

• Stop Playback when switching off the Bluetooth device through which sound was being routed (i.e. when turning off Car Stereo)
A +1 on this, every other music app stops playback when bt paired device is turned off,   Would be great if JRemote could also stop playback as well
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up