INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! My optical Drives stopped working in Media Center  (Read 2687 times)

bodell3

• Recent member
Help! My optical Drives stopped working in Media Center
« on: June 11, 2014, 02:10:28 am »

I am running Media Center 19.0.138 on windows 7 on a new machine.  When I am trying to rip Cds all of a sudden the drives stop reading the CDs.  The message says there is no CD in the drive.  I try to refresh the drive and it does no good.  If I exit Media Center and come back in, the drives work again.  Another interesting tidbit, When the drives don't work, if you go to "Computer" the drives also show empty, but if you leave that screen open, then exit out of Media Center, all of a sudden the CDs show up in the drives.  That leads me to believe it is a Media Center issue, but then I'd rather leave that up to the techies to decide.

Any ideas?

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
Re: Help! My optical Drives stopped working in Media Center
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 04:45:35 am »

I have this problem often. Don't have a solution though.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 07:00:12 am »

Antivirus or other "security" software?

bodell3

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 09:00:00 am »

Antivirus or other "security" software?

Are you asking me or telling me?  I have no idea.  How might I determine that?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 09:09:50 am »

I'm saying it's possible.  You were looking for ideas.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 09:50:33 am »

I am running Media Center 19.0.138 on windows 7 on a new machine.  When I am trying to rip Cds all of a sudden the drives stop reading the CDs.  The message says there is no CD in the drive.  I try to refresh the drive and it does no good.  If I exit Media Center and come back in, the drives work again.

Same thing here. My case is a bit different in that I can never get past a single rip. I can do the first one just fine - but have to exit MC to do another.

VP

gappie

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 10:33:12 am »

Same thing here. My case is a bit different in that I can never get past a single rip. I can do the first one just fine - but have to exit MC to do another.

VP
I saw that a few days ago too. did not see the second cd in windows explorer either. had to restart MC. just thought... ah well ? .. have not ripped anything after that. using windows defender on a 8.1 machine. when I have some things too rip ill test a bit..

:)
gab

bodell3

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 11:03:47 am »

VP

I find now that I can only rip once per drive.  I just converted from XP to Win 7 with a new machine.  Has this been a problem for a while?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 11:07:44 am »

I find now that I can only rip once per drive.  I just converted from XP to Win 7 with a new machine.  Has this been a problem for a while?

Has been this way for me for a long while (the entire V19 cycle for certain). I reported it here a long while ago - but nothing came of it.

So I just use dbPowerAmp now when I need to rip a stack. It has no issues with any of my hardware (or my AV or anything else for that matter). Just keeps asking for discs relentlessly during a rip cycle and plows thru them all with out issue.

VP

JohnT

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 02:49:13 pm »

Sorry for the problem you guys are having,  I wish I could reproduce the issue here so I could fix it.

In my testing, I'm ripping with a single SATA connected drive on a Win 7 system:

1. Rip one CD
2. I let MC kick out the completed CD and then I insert the next CD.
3. I see the "New Media Action" window pop-up when MC reads the new disc.  I select "Take no action" and click OK.
4. I click on the action window link "Click here to restart ripping".
5. MC proceeds to rip the next disc.
6. repeat the above for many discs.
7. I don't see the secure rip summary dialog until I close the ripping action window, at which time it summarizes all the rips.

Let me know if I should alter the method I'm using to try to reproduce the problem.  Thanks!

- John

John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Vocalpoint

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 05:02:58 pm »

Sorry for the problem you guys are having,  I wish I could reproduce the issue here so I could fix it.

In my testing, I'm ripping with a single SATA connected drive on a Win 7 system:

1. Rip one CD
2. I let MC kick out the completed CD and then I insert the next CD.
3. I see the "New Media Action" window pop-up when MC reads the new disc.  I select "Take no action" and click OK.
4. I click on the action window link "Click here to restart ripping".
5. MC proceeds to rip the next disc.
6. repeat the above for many discs.
7. I don't see the secure rip summary dialog until I close the ripping action window, at which time it summarizes all the rips.

Let me know if I should alter the method I'm using to try to reproduce the problem.  Thanks!

- John

I just followed these steps thru and was able to rip a couple disks in succession...had to click Rip Tracks after putting the second disc in - but no biggie. But....

After ripping two discs and clicking Close on the ripping action - I get summary log etc and close that out. Then I went about my biz for a half hour or so...tagging up the new rips, listening to them etc. Then I thought of another disc that I wanted to rip.

So I open the CD tray (still within the same MC session)...drop in the disc...close the tray...and nothing happens. No Media Action dialog. No asking any questions. Even went I go the Action panel and chose Rip Disc and click Insert Disc and Click Here - I click there - and nothing happens.

So I need to modify my story a bit now I guess. I can rip a couple of discs in succession...as long as they are part of a single "rip session". Once the session is done (Summary log written etc) - it's a no good to rip anything else. And I think this is exactly what I was seeing before - since I never usually rip a stack of discs at once. I believe every time I have tried this - I did the above - ripped a single  disc...completed it...let the log get written and close out the Rip windows. Then when I try it again either a few minutes or a half hour later - MC doesn't acknowledge my drives or discs or anything. Of course - after a restart - we are back in business.

Can anyone else try this on their rig?

VP

JohnT

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 01:22:12 pm »

We haven't been able to reproduce this yet.  I should make sure I'm using the same setup as you.
A few questions:
1. which encoding format do you rip to?
2. do you have one optical drive or multiple ones on your system?
3. are the optical drives SATA or USB or Firewire?
4. Bodell3 is using build 19.0.138, is that the same for the rest of you?

Thanks!

Vocalpoint

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 01:48:18 pm »

We haven't been able to reproduce this yet.  I should make sure I'm using the same setup as you.
A few questions:

Thanks!

1. FLAC
2. One optical drive
3. SATA (Lite-On)
4. 19.0.138

Cheers,

VP

bodell3

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 07:51:52 pm »

A few questions:

Thanks!

FLAC
2 SATA drives
Windows 7

JohnT

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 11:33:26 am »

Although I wasn't able to reproduce the problem on our machines, I found a potential problem in the code that could cause drives to be left in an open state and MC (and other apps) might not see the disk.  Look for a fix in a few days with a build number of 19.0.143 or higher.  Please post your results after you install the upgrade to 143 or higher.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up